Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toys in your cereal

• 01-09-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Remember the old toys etc you got in your cereal.

They are hardly in them any more

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Who remembers the Kellogg's bike reflectors??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Todays children are not in the least bit captivated by the 'toys'/ rubbish we were in the 80's.
    Same with McDonalds *Happy Meal* toys - the words common, everyday,plastic, rubbish are applicable imho.

As a parent i don't see them as toys, more like bits of plastic i will walk on in the dark in my bare feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

TheBody wrote: »

I was thinking of them while making the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I got all the Robin Hood characters except Maid Marion. Still getting over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

zef wrote: »
    Todays children are not in the least bit captivated by the 'toys'/ rubbish we were in the 80's.
    Same with McDonalds *Happy Meal* toys - the words common, everyday,plastic, rubbish are applicable imho.

As a parent i don't see them as toys, more like bits of plastic i will walk on in the dark in my bare feet.

Happy meal toys this day and age are so bad compared to the early 90's/ 80's ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I thought free toys were now banned from cereals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Do cereals these days offer promotionals toys from movies or cartoon?

Man, brings back memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Probably because of idiot kids eating the things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I got very few toys from cereal boxes. I did once get a flexi-disc (a paper thin record) that was stuck to the front of a box of corn flakes. You were supposed to cut around the edges of the flexi-disc and leave it stuck to the cardboard box for support. Unfortunately my father peeled it off and handed it to me and in the process ruined it.

I doubt cheap toys would interest kids nowadays. My nephew eats loads of Kinder Surprises and the toys end up in the bin a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Yep, Damn EU killjoys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Those were the days. Remember getting the bike reflectors and collecting the tokens for the rice crispie bowl.

It's all PS3s and iphone nowadays. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

When I was about 8 I collected tokens from Rice Crispies and sent off for a pop up digital watch. I waited and waited, thinking it was never going to arrive when one day 11 watches arrived in the post, I can only assume thanks to some sort of typing error in Rice Crispie central. I sold one to my brother ( for about 50p) and gave some to my friends. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

The boats and submarines that you put baking soda in and the surfaced or moved along

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It's all PS3s and iphone nowadays. :rolleyes:
    I would like to know where you buy your cereal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I usually just play with the cereal itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

TheBody wrote: »

used to find them free on other kids bikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I remember getting little plastic submarines in kelloggs cornflakes i think. You had to fill them with baking soda or something and they used to go up and down in water. I'll never forget the excitement when a new toy would come out and you'd root around in the bottom of the cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

ah the memories, opening a new cereal box and the foraging for the toy, ending up with half the cereal on the floor, parents were never too impressed. But I was delighted when I got my hand on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I have an old Roses tin somewhere that's full of the auld cereal toys. Must try find it naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Saving tokens for Thunderbirds models

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

redcortina wrote: »
    ah the memories, opening a new cereal box and the foraging for the toy, ending up with half the cereal on the floor, parents were never too impressed. But I was delighted when I got my hand on it.

I was never allowed fish for the toy, I had to wait til it came out with the cereal.

Six bowls of Coco Pops for breakfast? FINE BY ME. LET'S ROLL :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I remember if it was something you had to send away for you had to sellotape a couple of 20p coins to the form to cover the P&P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

First thing I thought of were the reflectors! Between myself and two brothers, there was no end to the cornflakes eaten in that house. I had so many reflectors on my bike the thing would hardly move. Cycled like the fuppin' wheels were glued to the road.

I was fair cool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Also remember saving tokens with weetabix to collect tapes that had probably 2 decent songs and about 10 other crappy ones. Weetabix had 5 (i think) characters that had their own mix tape. Brian and Brains were 2 characters dont remember the rest but one was a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i remember religiously collecting the tokens off the cornflakes boxes for what seemed like months so i could send off for the little toy kelloggs van , and a couple of months went by and it still didnt arrive, i gave up all hope and then one day i came in from school and my mum told me there was a parcel for me , oh i loved that van!!!!!

i think i ****ed it in the bin a few years later!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Scarinae wrote: »
    I would like to know where you buy your cereal

It's not Aldi man I'll tell you that.

Got some excellent toys in Cereal. I remember Frosties in the early 90s did a set of Tony the Tiger plastic figures, and on the back of the pack, there was a holographic background. I had one where he was on Ski's and the background was one of those huge, long Ski ramps.

Monster in my Pocket were cool. Can't remember what they came with. Got a deadly Frisbee once from Honey Nut Loops that my sisters sent away for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Anyone remember the Snoopy Toys from McDonalds?

I had them all, my Mam used to go into McDonalds just to buy me a plastic Snoopy. God I wish I kept them, they were freaking awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I got a rampant rabbit in me Fruit loops yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember when Weetabix had a free atlas and everyone in the class had to collect the tokens so everyone could get 1, I think it was forth class, the teacher used to get us to bring in our empty cereal boxes when they were empty so they could be used for make and do, I remember getting an awful giving out to cause I had cut out the tokens for something or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Ghandee wrote: »
    I got a rampant rabbit in me Fruit loops yesterday!

Possibly caused by a clerical error at the Fruit Loops factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Anyone remember opening a fresh box of Frosties, plunging your dirty hands into the box and rummaging around the flakes to find that little plastic packet? ... Those were the days :p

The ads were always so dignified. A kid pouring himself a bowl and ... "clink" ... out comes the toy into their bowel. Never what happened in reality!
    phasers wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Snoopy Toys from McDonalds?

I had them all, my Mam used to go into McDonalds just to buy me a plastic Snoopy. God I wish I kept them, they were freaking awesome.

I remember going up to the counter in McDonalds and asking for a different toy because "I have that one already!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How come in adult serial like start or special k you don't get sex toys?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I always hated cereal, haven't eaten it in years. My parents force fed it to us each morning, bloody mother jabbering on about having to eat a breakfast.

The one thing I do remember getting though was a Jurassic Park wristwatch. You had to collect a certain number of tokens from cornflake boxes and then send them plus a p&p fee to Kellogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Oh the joys!! the little trucks from kellogs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I remember coming home with my mother with the shopping and opening the cereal box straight away, searching for the toy and putting the box in the press until the morning.

Used to love the excitement of seeing the little plastic wrapper sticking out from the top of the cereal, covered in Coco Pops dust.

I remember coming home with my mother with the shopping and opening the cereal box straight away, searching for the toy and putting the box in the press until the morning.

Used to love the excitement of seeing the little plastic wrapper sticking out from the top of the cereal, covered in Coco Pops dust.

I know the little joys we had!!! come to think of it as far as I remember they were always boy toys :( although I don't think I was anyway disappointed back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Premier League pencil toppers in Sugar Puffs. They were absolute business in my class.

The coveted toppers were obviously United, Liverpool and Celtic ones, as if you didn't want them they were like prison currency, but it felt like every single week I got a feckin' Nottingham Forest one, Pierre Van Hooidonk or Steve Stone. Ended up with a Gary Neville one eventually so was happy enough and my Mam could stop buying Sugar Puffs.

Also, Frosties has cool little Power Ranger figurines around the time the Power Ranger Movie was released. Made it my mission to collect them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭mudabi

The land speed record models were cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭mudabi

Cant remember if you had to send away for them or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Still have a Kelloggs van, I remember there was massive demand for them and Kelloggs sent a postcard apologising for the backlog of orders. Pity I lost the card, that would have been something.

There were Kelloggs animals cards too, the ones that if you looked at em one way you'd see the prehistoric animal and looked at tother way you'd see the present day equivalent. I collected the full set and have em, somewhere.

It's a wonder the EU hasn't banned Kinder Eggs, these are actually illegal in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

they used to stick in my teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nothing better than being first in line for a fresh box of cereal when you were younger, You'd even give up the choice of having the more illustrious already opened chocolatey cereals to have a go at cereal toy roulette on an unopened box of corn flakes.

You'd choose the biggest bowl available in the hope that it would increase your chances of winning, and keep pouring until the cereal was flowing over the edge of the bowl, gutted when it still hadn't fallen out.

If your other siblings were not around you would shove the hand down and try and find the toy, and then be subjected to a court case when they did arrive down to the sight of you and your trophy toy!

If you were a little more honest you would just try throw them off by lying and telling them you got the toy out of that box hoping they will choose another cereal giving you another chance in the morning!

Always remember the amazement and joy all around if another sibling somehow managed to get a second toy out of the same box!!

They used to cause wars in our house, so I'm not sure if they were banned for fear of choking on a toy or being choked by a sibling rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

It's funny looking back at how easily we were pleased :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

You used to have the toys in packets in the cereal. Presumably someone reached into the cereal, fished out the packet, undid the wrapper, and tried to eat it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Always remember the amazement and joy all around if another sibling somehow managed to get a second toy out of the same box!!

yeah, two-fers were like the Holy Grail of cereal toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I remember little snap together model aeroplanes in cornflakes I think. Nicely detailed. I also remember sending away for a battery powered submarine. It would actually travel underwater too once you adjusted the vanes or whatever they are. I sent away for the land speed record models too. I'm pretty sure they might still be around actually. Also a Kelloggs open top bus.

But one great little snap together kit of a Model T Ford didn't come in a cereal box at all but in a packet of detergent, Daz I think. It was really nicely done. Smelt of soap which was odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Who remembers the "monster in your pocket" figures you used to get in cereal? I collected most of them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement