Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skangers

• 01-09-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Always wondered do Skangers know they are Skangers ?, now it s hard not to generalise but yer man with the accent , the attitude , the tattoos , the trackie, the smokes, the gold rings, no intrest in working for a living ,you know what I mean ( women also ) .
    What is their feeling about middle class gob****es like me that work and pay taxes etc
    Do they think their is another tier below them ??
    Do they give a fcuk ?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

smoke bud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Well you have to apply to get into the skanger group and get the card, so they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

blingrhino wrote: »
    Always wondered do Skangers know they are Skangers ?, now it s hard not to generalise but yer man with the accent , the attitude , the tattoos , the trackie, the smokes, the gold rings, no intrest in working for a living ,you know what I mean ( women also ) .
    What is their feeling about middle class gob****es like me that work and pay taxes etc
    Do they give a fcuk ?

blingrhino, that is so just a perfect skanger nick-name... " sheez a bleedin blingrhino, noworrimean?"

definition: a fat skanger woman who wears much sparkly cheap jewelery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Do they give a fcuk ?

Boy have you got it wrong. You're working class, my delusional friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

5uspect wrote: »
    smoke bud?

Only if its a johnny blue!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Do they hate themselves because you're better than them? Probably not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

They only know how to open their legs or use their dic*s.

You dont need to see them to know they only have to open their mouth.

Heard a drugy in town giving a bus driver grief saying he has a free pass and he the fat fuc**ng pric* has to take him as he has his pass.
    Why should us hard workers have to pay for a holes like this he/she chose to go down that road even if they had it bad doesnt mean they are entitled to anything and everything and speaking to someone else like he did to the driver honestly wanted to knock him out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

While were on the topic of scumbags.I'd like to put a question to the good folks of AH. Why is that most skangers are usually very popular even among the average joes.Something is really wrong with this country. "shakes head"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

This is going to last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Abi wrote: »
    Boy have you got it wrong. You're working class, my delusional friend.

Thanks coz you have a hot avatar. Bet you look like Frada in real life. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

mitosis wrote: »
    Thanks coz you have a hot avatar. Bet you look like Frada in real life. ;)

I'd take that as a compliment, Abi. Frada is seriously rugged. If I was to look like any man, it'd be him. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

They only know how to open their legs or use their dic*s.

You dont need to see them to know they only have to open their mouth.

Heard a drugy in town giving a bus driver grief saying he has a free pass and he the fat fuc**ng pric* has to take him as he has his pass.
    Why should us hard workers have to pay for a holes like this he/she chose to go down that road even if they had it bad doesnt mean they are entitled to anything and everything and speaking to someone else like he did to the driver honestly wanted to knock him out....

... and then the baby comes out... they're not skangers, they're Aliens!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

marzic wrote: »
    ... and then the baby comes out... they're not skangers, they're Aliens!;)

Was thinking :eek: they all look the same:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Define "skanger".
    I know plenty of people (or well, knew. I stopped hanging around with them) that would do things that were skanger-ish: having no problem pissing against walls, drinking/smoking hash in the street, etc.

Then again I didn't know the ones that would beat people up for fun.

But from my experiences: it's clearly a lifestyle choice. I know their families and their nothing like said skangers. Sometimes it's based on how the family raised them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Plenty of 'skangers' walking around in shirts and ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Does every country have skangers or is it just Ireland ?

uberalles wrote: »
    Does every country have skangers or is it just Ireland ?

England has chavs.
    Scotland has neds.
    Not sure about Wales.
    America has "white trash" and other various lovely racial terms to descrive inner-city, poor, general scumbags over other races.

They exist everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I’m increasingly of the view that the underclass act out on purpose to goad the rest of society. E.G. roaring abuse for all to hear on the bus, luas, street. I was walking down the street of a small country town today when two fat women (possibly travellers) started shouting at each other – top of the lungs – about who was supposed to get the fags. They were going to the doctors. Everyone else carried on as if this was normal but it wasn’t – they disrupted the whole street as if it was their own (dysfunctional) living room.

I still don't like calling people skangers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Always wondered do Skangers know they are Skangers ?

SKANGER became self-aware March 29th 2015. It proceeded to drink all the Dutch Gold in the country, scab all the cigarettes off every single smoker and shatter every single window thanks to the incessant playing of 'da choons mon'.

Many good men died in the rebellion
    Do they give a fcuk ?

Maybe Jeremy Kyle can find out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

if they thought you spent your time posting on an internet forum about them i'd say they think you're a sap

they probably think you are below them but if you're looking for who they think is the lowest rung of society, it's peadophiles
    Do they give a fcuk ?

No

• Advertisement

Seems like people have problems distinguishing between people that cause trouble and people from working class areas who choose to wear tracksuits and baseball caps as their attire. There's usually undertones of snobbishness in the use of the word, "skanger", so I prefer not to use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What is their feeling about [/b]middle class[/b] gob****es like me that work and pay taxes etc
    Do they give a fcuk ?

If you work for a living you are working class. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about that. I would consider myself working class and proud of it. It doesn't mean you grew up on a council estate and your house was a burnt-out car. Most people in Ireland are working class. You might think your profession, your address or your political persuasion makes you middle class but it doesn't. The way the economy is now, we are all working class.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Seems like people have problems distinguishing between people that cause trouble and people from working class areas who choose to wear tracksuits and baseball caps as their attire. There's usually undertones of snobbishness in the use of the word, "skanger", so I prefer not to use it.

It's rare that you'll meet someone in a tracksuit with the nasal accent that doesn't behave like a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Do they give a fcuk ?

Two possible answers to that:

1. "They" think you're a snob.

2. "They" couldn't care less about the likes of you.

It's rare that you'll meet someone in a tracksuit with the nasal accent that doesn't behave like a scumbag.

How do you know what they get up to? That's a bizarre statement.

How do you know what they get up to? That's a bizarre statement.

Not really. Anyone with a bit of common sense in Dublin City wouldn't wear a tracksuit all the time unless it's for some sort of sports activity or something.
    I'm only speaking from what I learned growing up. I suppose there are people my age that wear tracksuits all the time and don't associate with skangers but I never knew anyone to wear tracksuits all the time that didn't give a vibe of skanger off them, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Hailing King of Moo to defend the skangers...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Do skangers have more skanger kids than non skangers?
    Should they have their own forum on boards?

Not really. Anyone with a bit of common sense in Dublin City wouldn't wear a tracksuit all the time unless it's for some sort of sports activity or something.
    I'm only speaking from what I learned growing up. I suppose there are people my age that wear tracksuits all the time and don't associate with skangers but I never knew anyone to wear tracksuits all the time that didn't give a vibe of skanger off them, myself included.

"Give a skanger vibe" or actually cause trouble? Skangers, if were going by the strict definition of the word, cause trouble. I didn't realise wearing a tracksuit was a form of causing trouble. I used to wear tracksuits around as a teen but then I came froma nice, middle-class background, so it didn't matter.

• Advertisement

It would make more sense if you posted this before I posted in this thread.

I'm already here; there's no need to hail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Apologies, hadn't seen that. Thanks for being so predictable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Do they give a fcuk ?

toughy.

bit like 'do bankers know they are ****'

Highly doubtful.

Yeah, I'm very predictable in my revulsion towards the snobbery that rears its head in After Hours.

I don't know if you're a rereg of someone, but if so, you might be predictable in your assumption that someone who doesn't make infantile posts about "Giveusalightderebuddutchgoldtracksuitspantstuckedintosockscloseyourlegssterilisethemall" is automatically "defending the skangers."

"Give a skanger vibe" or actually cause trouble? Skangers, if were going by the strict definition of the word, cause trouble. I didn't realise wearing a tracksuit was a form of causing trouble. I used to wear tracksuits around as a teen but then I came froma nice, middle-class background, so it didn't matter.

And times have changed. Wear tracksuits all you like but if you have common sense or grew up in Dublin, you're know what they're associated with and why you don't wear them 24/7.
    Don't take the wrong way or anything. I'm not having a go. I'm just saying what I grew up with is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Plenty of 'skangers' walking around in shirts and ties.
    Of course - to and from court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Story bud!

And times have changed. Wear tracksuits all you like but if you have common sense or grew up in Dublin, you're know what they're associated with and why you don't wear them 24/7.
    Don't take the wrong way or anything. I'm not having a go. I'm just saying what I grew up with is all.

I'm from Dublin and I'm old enough and experienced enough to have some cop on.

Listen, maybe I'm more tolerant of what you previously called "skangerish" behaviour in one of your posts. My idea of a scumbag or a "skanger" is someone who causes genuine trouble, not just wears a tracksuit and smokes hash or even pees in public. I'm probably more tolerant of it because I grew up with it too (my area was quite mixed class-wise and I've lived in rough parts of Dublin since).

I suppose we have different definitions of what constitutes as a "skanger" so I'll leave the debate with your good self there if you don't mind.

I'm from Dublin and I'm old enough and experienced enough to have some cop on.

Listen, maybe I'm more tolerant of what you previously called "skangerish" behaviour in one of your posts. My idea of a scumbag or a "skanger" is someone who causes genuine trouble, not just wears a tracksuit and smokes hash or even pees in public. I'm probably more tolerant of it because I grew up with it too (my area was quite mixed class-wise and I've lived in rough parts of Dublin since).

I suppose we have different definitions of what constitutes as a "skanger" so I'll leave the debate with your good self there if you don't mind.

Maybe. Given that I grew up and lived all my life in the city (I'm in my early 20s), I suppose we have different outlooks. Maybe it's me just looking around and identifying more with tracksuits + nasal speech = keep an eye out. I think it's mostly a different standards thing between me and you. It was only a few years ago that I realized I didn't like what I was doing hanging around with certain types.

But maybe you're fine with that. I'm not so I did something about it.
    And I know how much this sounds like I'm having a go at you but I'm really not. Honestly.

I think it's just some of us (me) are more cautious about people that others. You just give people more of a chance than I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Skang is a state of mind.

They're miserable people who are always on the take from everybody else.

In their own minds, they're never wrong & they're entitled to everything on demand & without question.

Unfortunately they breed like Rats, so the problem gets worse as time goes on.

Time for a cull soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

In their own minds, they're never wrong & they're entitled to everything on demand & without question.

Time for a cull soon.

It was time for a cull long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Skangers wear track suits because they're easier to rob from the sports shop.

They don't actually Know they're skangers as they're too thick and stupid to realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Define 'Skanger'

An ignorant,lazy,selfish,inconsiderate,listless scumbag either male or female with no taste or etiquette.

Note how I omitted the word ... person!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some of these boyos are nowhere as thick as they let on to be. In some case its just an apathy for life. For a lot of people the hatred and nastiness they spring forth relates to how they really feel about their own existence. Hence many do their bit to keep our suicide level above average. That's very sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

It was time for a cull long ago.

I hear ya, but realistically it ain't gonna happen.

A serious reform of the welfare system & a justice system that treats them as the scum that they are would be a good start though.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Skangers wear track suits because they're easier to rob from the sports shop.

They don't actually Know they're skangers as they're too thick and stupid to realise it.

Both?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Some of these boyos are nowhere as thick as they let on to be. In some case its just an apathy for life. For a lot of people the hatred and nastiness they spring forth relates to how they really feel about their own existence. Hence many do their bit to keep our suicide level above average. That's very sad really.

A good point well written. I also agree with those who question the way the word skanger is used to generalise the working class. I went to a town school with a diverse mix of girls from those whose families owned small aircraft to settled travellers – with the majority being a mix of rural & urban middle and working class. The best thing I learned in that school was that decency and delinquency are human traits which cross notions of class division. One of the saddest things I remember from the school bus was a bunch of pig ignorant students yelling ‘nacker’ at two young settled travellers – these two ‘nackers’ were so meek they let everyone else get on first and stood for the journey. The eldest was very bright but hardly spoke and unsurprisingly dropped out of school. No doubt the rest of the bus had to learn about Rosa Parks for the junior cert but the penny never dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fogman

This is all a bit stereotypical. In the area I live,many people I know and that I am friends with wear tracksuits,smoke a bit of weed,drink dutch gold whatever but they're perfectly decent fellas who graft away at some kind of work(when they can get it) to get by from day to day. Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

Anyone with a Dublin accent (even a mild one) is subhuman skanger scum. Anyone who disagrees is obviously one of them.

MOD:

s20101938 banned for this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Time for a cull soon.
    s20101938 wrote: »
    Anyone with a Dublin accent (even a mild one) is subhuman skanger scum. Anyone who disagrees is obviously one of them.

And we are done!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement