Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I do higher level Irish?

• 01-09-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have started 5th year and I am currently doing 8 subjects at higher level. I have good enough Irish to get around a B in higher but I have little interest in the subject. However I want to know more about what I could use it for after school in a career that is not focused on it. In journalism, law, politics and teaching it is useful but not necessary. What else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I have started 5th year and I am currently doing 8 subjects at higher level. I have good enough Irish to get around a B in higher but I have little interest in the subject. However I want to know more about what I could use it for after school in a career that is not focused on it. In journalism, law, politics and teaching it is useful but not necessary. What else?

Acting translating writing Gaeltacht leader working with Irish youth clubs, privacy of speech on holidays. . Quite a lot if I say. It's an easy language if people weren't stubborn to learn it! ( not you, in general!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

You should keep up HL if you can. I hated it, wanted to drop to pass in fifth year. I decided I'd keep up HL and just do the bare minimum to pass it. Ended up getting an A2 and counting it, pretty glad I didn't drop now. :L The OL course isn't much easier than HL imo as you have 2 hours to write an essay in HL and the oral is common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

To expand on finality's comment about HL not being much harder than OL, 25 of the 30 prose and poetry marks, and 35 of the 40 An Triail marks, go for information rather than Irish. The only place you're really judged on your standard of Irish is the essay and the oral, but as she said, the oral is common level so you'll need to be good at that at either level. The comprehensions are ridiculously easy, you just take it straight from the text, and you'll have to endure the Donegal aural at both levels. ;) :P
    It's honestly not as difficult as people make it out to be, I don't know why so many people who need high points don't do it. The A1 rate went up 2% this year with the new course too. I knew I'd be counting it because I knew what my weaker subjects were but I got an A1 when I was only aiming for a B1/B2, it can really surprise you, and it's probably difficult to actually fail it as long as you put any work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i would definetely stick at hl:)

the new course is so student friendly.

you get so much time to spend on the essay on paper 1.

There is less emphasis on the poetry and prose.

The comprehensions you just take it from the piece.

It could be said the prose at ol level is getting harder as theres no choice with it same as hl.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Would recommend not doing it. If you're not interested at this stage you're not interested full stop. Just going to become one of those annoying things that you dread studying. As long as you have 6 honours you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Now that 40% goes for the oral, I really don't think it's worth moving to pass tbh.

Advertisement