Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zippo Price Fixing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm reasonably sure they're entitled to do this. You could look into those US address guys like myus or whoever is cheapest these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There selling in a grey market. Zippo are perfectly entitled to do this. Price fixing generally occurs with two or more different brands.
    Brands can set minimum prices per market area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

But you fail to point out the following that is clearly marked in the US sellers page

The model # of this lighter is 250jd-427, retail of $38.95.

The US ebayer mostly has a mix of clearance items that are no longer in the zippo range and standard items whereas the Irish seller is a standard approved retailer giving you full Zippo guarantee and local service.

US guy is probably operating out of a shed whereas the Irish retailer has to purchase from the Irish distributor (petersons) and pay normal rents and rates.

So comparing like with like (US retail store with Irish retail store) - $38.95 by rate of exchange = €31.20 + 23% vat = €38.40 (US price exclude vat)

Not much of a difference there!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think it's price fixing - which usually involves two parties (or more) conspiring to rig the market.

This is a case of geographical protection. Zippo probably have an authorized distributor(s) in Europe, who has signed a deal with Zippo to be their exclusive retailer in Europe. These guys who sell in the US are cutting into his market (albeit very slightly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Ebay is flooded with fake Zippo lighters. Some members already left neg feedback for the US seller and the Irish seller probably hasn't sold one to a collector yet.

• Advertisement

sandin wrote: »

He was getting them for €22 cheaper from the US, so there is in fact quite a difference. You've given some reasons why this might be the case, but obviously he's still going to want to buy them at the US price.
    Ebay is flooded with fake Zippo lighters. Some members already left neg feedback for the US seller and the Irish seller probably hasn't sold one to a collector yet.

The US seller has a 13 year old account with 160,000 feedbacks at 99.7% positive. They're also refusing to sell Zippos to OP because Zippo are telling them not to. It's unlikely they're selling fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zab wrote: »
    He was getting them for €22 cheaper from the US, so there is in fact quite a difference. You've given some reasons why this might be the case, but obviously he's still going to want to buy them at the US price.

Are they paying any import duties/vat etc that they are required to pay?

Are they paying any import duties/vat etc that they are required to pay?

I don't see the relevance. The guy found cheaper zippos online and wanted to know if they were breaking a law by not selling them to him. They aren't. However, even if you add in VAT to that price you're still getting it cheaper, and duty doesn't kick in until €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

sandin wrote: »
    But you fail to point out the following that is clearly marked in the US sellers page

The model # of this lighter is 250jd-427, retail of $38.95.

The US ebayer mostly has a mix of clearance items that are no longer in the zippo range and standard items whereas the Irish seller is a standard approved retailer giving you full Zippo guarantee and local service.

US guy is probably operating out of a shed whereas the Irish retailer has to purchase from the Irish distributor (petersons) and pay normal rents and rates.

So comparing like with like (US retail store with Irish retail store) - $38.95 by rate of exchange = €31.20 + 23% vat = €38.40 (US price exclude vat)

The link i posted to the US guy is the guy i was buying from, I must have got 15-20 from him over 12 months, as a collector i know the genuine article and these are 100% genuine.

As for Import Tax, i always kept my orders below the threshold, getting maybe 5-8 lighters and never paying more than 100euro

Also, a Zippo guarantee is worldwide foe lifetime, if one of mine, even though purchased from US broke i'd just send it into the Irish repairer who would do it for free.

I'm just annoyed how Zippo can price fix like this and refuse to let distributors sell to me here

Advertisement