Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi from Douglas - Little Island

Options
  • 02-09-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

How much would you expect to pay for a taxi from Douglas East Village to Little Island on a school morning (leaving in plenty of time)? When I phoned to get a price, I was quoted €16 and the route would take me via Blackrock (I had not specified where abouts in Douglas I was, Douglas runs into town). I will not be expecting to go near Blackrock as I am the other end of Douglas, near Rochestown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Oleander wrote: »
    How much would you expect to pay for a taxi from Douglas East Village to Little Island on a school morning (leaving in plenty of time)? When I phoned to get a price, I was quoted €16 and the route would take me via Blackrock (I had not specified where abouts in Douglas I was, Douglas runs into town). I will not be expecting to go near Blackrock as I am the other end of Douglas, near Rochestown.
    Well if your booking , book a hackney it would be a little bit cheaper, is this going to be a regular run if it is i would imagine they might knock another small bit off.

€16 is probably a rough quote covering themselves, as to be fair douglas traffic can be brutal sometimes, and the meter will keep running.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

It's for the mornings only this week (possibility in the future when I don't have my lift). Last week when some of the schools were back in it took us 20 mins to drive in, bit of traffic coming into the tunnel. Other than a taxi I have to get a bus into town and get a certain bus (to midleton) that goes to Little Island which gets me into work way too early. Or walk up from the Patrick St to Kent St to get the train which I won't want to do the mornings. I don't mind paying to get a taxi in this week but I don't want to be ripped off !! He'll probably quote me €100 for the week, in my opinion that is way too much for 5 days (isn't it??). I'll be leaving in plenty of time to get into work before the rush.

I've ordered a taxi for tomorrow morning and was told to have a chat with the driver as they are self-employed and they decide the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You should post a thread looking for a backup car pooler for the odd day you're stuck. Half the traffic that goes into the tunnel goes into Little Island. It's a waste of either time or money when you're so close as the crow flies.

And I want to make sure he goes the way we usually go, cause going up by Glounthuane apparently the traffic can be backed up for ages and we usually go right round the Dunkettle roundabout and up the back way (my boyfriend has been doing this for 5 years and only occasionally he's had problems). I just want the quickest and cheapest route, while giving this taxi driver business for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

€18 sounds good, most people go either to the link if near say Grange (but early in morning could be mental) or go the Skehard Road and on through tunnel. To go through city and through Tivioli would be mental at that time.

Oh blimey,€18 just sounds so expensive to me - if I go early enough there hopefully won't be much traffic and on Friday I'll be starting work at 8am so it should be a quicker run with hopefully less traffic. I knew I'd have to do this but it pains me to pay for taxi cause I never expect to get a good deal! I'm sure it's about €90 or more in petrol for the week anyway! I can't see him doing it for €15 a day which I think it more acceptable :) which would work out at €75 for the week.

http://www.taxiautofare.com/ie/Default.aspx?LocationID=148&Distance=11.023&Source=Douglas%20&Destination=Little%20island%20&Time=673

I just checked out the above website, its saying €15 for Douglas to little island. May be a little more in rush hour.

Thanks for this, at least if I have some information about other taxi places it might go in my favour, he might think I'll look into a cheaper rate somewhere else.

My main concern here is to get into work for 9am (leaving at 8.15am) as it's a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

And I want to make sure he goes the way we usually go, cause going up by Glounthuane apparently the traffic can be backed up for ages and we usually go right round the Dunkettle roundabout and up the back way (my boyfriend has been doing this for 5 years and only occasionally he's had problems). I just want the quickest and cheapest route, while giving this taxi driver business for the week.
    Trust me any honest taxi driver at that time of the morning will want you there as quick as possible , as he would hope to get a few jobs getting others to work.

And if you want discuss with the driver what route he intends to take , its your money , you can direct him to take a certain route if you wish .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

http://www.taxiautofare.com/ie/Default.aspx?LocationID=148&Distance=11.023&Source=Douglas%20&Destination=Little%20island%20&Time=673

I just checked out the above website, its saying €15 for Douglas to little island. May be a little more in rush hour.

That website uses the weirdest routes. For Grand Parade to Skehard Road, it went out along the South Link to the Kinsale Road Roundabout, all the back, and exited at Mahon Point, quoting €14 during the day. It doesn't calculate the best routes at all. For South Mall to Victoria Road, it took the Old Blackrock Road!

Faith wrote: »
    That website uses the weirdest routes. For Grand Parade to Skehard Road, it went out along the South Link to the Kinsale Road Roundabout, all the back, and exited at Mahon Point, quoting €14 during the day. It doesn't calculate the best routes at all. For South Mall to Victoria Road, it took the Old Blackrock Road!

That's mental Ted!it seems to be using Google maps as that gives the same route.

I got a taxi for the week (mornings only) and paid €75 for five days which wasn't bad. It does sound like a lot, but petrol would probably cost the same. So no more taxis for a while hopefully because if I had to go from Douglas - Little Island - Douglas every day it would do my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Thanks for this, at least if I have some information about other taxi places it might go in my favour, he might think I'll look into a cheaper rate somewhere else.

My main concern here is to get into work for 9am (leaving at 8.15am) as it's a new job.

Try Sun Cabs they have a huge fleet and are fairly good price wise, If you travel before 8am you pay a night rate on the meter , My advice would be talk to whoever collects you on day 1 and see if they will strike a deal, Taxis are ten a penny but can be hard to get early mornings.
    ;)

Advertisement