Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insitute of Education Dublin or Yeats College Galway

• 02-09-2012 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey! :) Need help here! Was thinking of going to a private school as I am aiming for extremely high points and my current school has very bad teachers and on top of that I did'nt get my requested subjects! But im stuck between going to either the institute of education or yeats! If anyone has been could u give me you opinion please! Would be much appreciated!:)
    Are they like normal schools? Whats the teachers like, social life etc ! And if you had to choose which would you recommend! :)

Thanks ,
    X

If you had to pick what school to go to which would you pick ? 0 votes

Yeats College Galway
    0%
    The Institute of Education Dublin
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Where do you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Go to a normal school and stop making excuses for yourself by blaming your teachers. If you're not committed enough to get the high points yourself then you'll probably struggle even more in college once you get there.

But if you really want an answer to your question, go to whichever one is closer to where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Xxschool2012xX

ian87 wrote: »
    Where do you live?
    RealJohn wrote: »
    Go to a normal school and stop making excuses for yourself by blaming your teachers. If you're not committed enough to get the high points yourself then you'll probably struggle even more in college once you get there.

But if you really want an answer to your question, go to whichever one is closer to where you live.

Im not making an excuse or blaming the teachers, i know there not to blame and you have to put in the effort and commitment yourself but they make alot of difference and were unfortunate to have some poor teachers and plus i need 600 points to secure a place ! And i would be very distracted staying at home! I am fortunate enough to have the oppurtunity to go to a private school and I think it would be foolish not to take the oppurtunity and try and get the best I can achieve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You said your current school has very bad teachers so it certainly sounds like you're blaming them.
    Regardless, it's your life but grind schools will only help you get points and you won't get that kind of help once you get to college. If you're not able to get the points on your own merit you might just be delaying the inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Glendambo

You said your current school has very bad teachers so it certainly sounds like you're blaming them.
    Regardless, it's your life but grind schools will only help you get points and you won't get that kind of help once you get to college. If you're not able to get the points on your own merit you might just be delaying the inevitable.

What complete and utter rubbish! How is attending a grind school not getting points on your own merit?? Do you think the students get handed the exam or something? The students still have to study and still have to put the work in.

Grinds schools have the advantage of being exam focused with a higher calibre of teaching staff. If the OP feels the teachers in his/her current school aren't up to scratch then he/she is perfectly entitled to say so. If you think bad teachers don't effect students you're absolutely kidding yourself.

I always have to laugh at attitudes like this. Chip on your shoulder, clearly.

• Advertisement

Glendambo wrote: »
    What complete and utter rubbish! How is attending a grind school not getting points on your own merit?? Do you think the students get handed the exam or something? The students still have to study and still have to put the work in.

Grinds schools have the advantage of being exam focused with a higher calibre of teaching staff. If the OP feels the teachers in his/her current school aren't up to scratch then he/she is perfectly entitled to say so. If you think bad teachers don't effect students you're absolutely kidding yourself.

spot on could'nt put it better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Glendambo wrote: »

I think this is the phrase thats complete and utter rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

O.P. Either college will be very similar so it should come down to whichever suits you better.

I would rarely recommend a grind school to anyone - The teachers ARE NOT superior to mainstream schools. In fact I would argue the opposite is the case. They are not required to have a teaching qualification as it is a private school - not paid by the department. They do work hard as they're job can easily be terminated. BUT I know of several students who have attended and praised the teachers - saying they give great notes. They definitely give great notes, but these are freely available on the internet for the most part. Giving great notes does not make a great teacher.

If your mind is made up - best of luck to you and I'm sure you ll do fine but I would urge you to think of staying where you are or perhaps a nearby school.

I would consider your current subjects and then pick which teachers your not happy with and get grinds in those subjects - If you are aiming for 600 points then a decent grind in these subjects will set you up with a plan for the next few months.
    The fees alone for Yeats would pay for 2-300 1-TO-1 grinds which IMO are far more beneficial than a grind school or even Revision Courses. Thats before you pay for accommodation/food/travel.
    Another consideration is the travel time / method on Sunday evening/ Friday evening. Given that you've a choice between Dublin/Galway, I think its fair to estimate 5-6 hours of travel time over the weekend which is time you could spend studying at home.

RealJohn may have sounded harsh but it does happen all the time that students opt for a grind school because they think it will mean better results automatically.
    As I've said, if your mind is made up on the grind school - I don't think there's much difference between them - choose whichever is more convenient.
    Best of Luck.

O.P. Either college will be very similar so it should come down to whichever suits you better.

I would rarely recommend a grind school to anyone - The teachers ARE NOT superior to mainstream schools. In fact I would argue the opposite is the case. They are not required to have a teaching qualification as it is a private school - not paid by the department. They do work hard as they're job can easily be terminated. BUT I know of several students who have attended and praised the teachers - saying they give great notes. They definitely give great notes, but these are freely available on the internet for the most part. Giving great notes does not make a great teacher.

If your mind is made up - best of luck to you and I'm sure you ll do fine but I would urge you to think of staying where you are or perhaps a nearby school.

I would consider your current subjects and then pick which teachers your not happy with and get grinds in those subjects - If you are aiming for 600 points then a decent grind in these subjects will set you up with a plan for the next few months.
    The fees alone for Yeats would pay for 2-300 1-TO-1 grinds which IMO are far more beneficial than a grind school or even Revision Courses. Thats before you pay for accommodation/food/travel.
    Another consideration is the travel time / method on Sunday evening/ Friday evening. Given that you've a choice between Dublin/Galway, I think its fair to estimate 5-6 hours of travel time over the weekend which is time you could spend studying at home.

RealJohn may have sounded harsh but it does happen all the time that students opt for a grind school because they think it will mean better results automatically.
    As I've said, if your mind is made up on the grind school - I don't think there's much difference between them - choose whichever is more convenient.
    Best of Luck.

Thanks for your advice:) I know i will have to work extremely hard regardless of where i go but in my school right now there are some teachers who will miss 2 weeks straight and leave you with no guidelines or nothing ,one in particular just acts like they dont want to be there like they hate there job and makes it miserable for everyone else to learn, and really its just not on. I know I cant blame them but to be honest im not the brightest crayon in the box so I really have to work for the good grades and I need the guidelines and the push to do well ! Im only 15 and college is 3 -4 years away and the work i will have to do to get in will be intense and i will be more than ready to go in and be more independent to do the work with minimal guidance! The grind school just seems the best option as I have not gotten the subjects I need for my course for example I did not get into French as there is not enough room and I full stop need that to get my course so that is one of the main reasons i opt to go away ! Thanks for the advice but I have made up my mind and i really just want advice of what the two schools are like rather than a lecture on staying at my own school or blaming teachers etc. Thanks though! :)

Thanks for your advice I know i will have to work extremely hard regardless of where i go but in my school right now there are some teachers who will miss 2 weeks straight and leave you with no guidelines or nothing ,one in particular just acts like they dont want to be there like they hate there job and makes it miserable for everyone else to learn, and really its just not on. I know I cant blame them but to be honest im not the brightest crayon in the box so I really have to work for the good grades and I need the guidelines and the push to do well ! Im only 15 and college is 3 -4 years away and the work i will have to do to get in will be intense and i will be more than ready to go in and be more independent to do the work with minimal guidance! The grind school just seems the best option as I have not gotten the subjects I need for my course for example I did not get into French as there is not enough room and I full stop need that to get my course so that is one of the main reasons i opt to go away ! Thanks for the advice but I have made up my mind and i really just want advice of what the two schools are like rather than a lecture on staying at my own school or blaming teachers etc. Thanks though!

Just to add i find it quite rude you saying im not going to be doing it on my own merit ? Going to school is just getting the stuff and a basic jist of what you need to know, the work is at home studying the stuff you learn in school! No matter where i go i will be working just as hard and will have no life but study for the next 2 years of my life to try and get the points required and i really do find your comment rude. Teachers are there for a reason , they are meant to help and give the education they are paid to do. I have to say there are some amazing teachers in my school but unfortunatly i do not have them as teachers this year. Dont get me wrong the teachers I have im sure know there stuff but have a poor way of getting it across!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Sorry for being pedantic op but; their. The word for belonging to them is their. It might come in useful in your quest to troll, sorry, I mean look for 600 points. I have taught a number of 600 point students and they could all spell this properly.
    Secondly, you say you would be distracted at home, but you are enquiring about the social life in each of those colleges. Do you see the contradiction here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭doc_17

They don't have a higher calibre of teacher, they have rich people going to them. That's the difference. No need to worry about those pesky poor people (alliteration) with special educational needs taking up your wonderful teacher's time.

Spoon feed you your notes and bob's your uncle.

Wouldn't the leaving cert forum be a better place for this anyway? Surely you could consult with others who may have attended both.

But better teachers in private schools? What a load of utter garbage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On the basis that this is yet another first time poster posting to 'find out' about businesses, I'm not moving this to LC, where some people might pay some heed to the garbage in this.

Let it die here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement