Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live: credit card

Options
  • 02-09-2012 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

So, my credit card has literally just expired. I'd been thinking about moving away from XBL anyway, but always put it off because of the supposed hassle with phoning up. So this sounded like the perfect excuse to get shut of it.

They can't charge me if my card is dead right? I thought so too, then I found this. http://consumerist.com/2011/10/microsoft-zombie-bills-expired-credit-card-for-xbox-live.html

They can't possibly get away with this can they? I'm dreading the thought of hooking up my Xbox 720 (:P) in 2 years and discovering I have an outstanding payment of a hundred quid or something. My card was valid until the end of the month (2 days ago) and I haven't gotten any email from Microsoft regarding anything about my card expiring. Do they even send emails for this sort of this thing? Or do they just jump straight to the necrophilia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Cancel it anyway, its not hard to do, you can do it from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Alactric wrote: »
    but always put it off because of the supposed hassle with phoning up.

Xbox's customer service is excellent. Don't compare their support to the likes of Vodafone, Eircom and NTL. You probably won't even be put on hold.

Just call them up and get peace of mind - the process is quick and painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Mr E wrote: »
    Xbox's customer service is excellent. Don't compare their support to the likes of Vodafone, Eircom and NTL. You probably won't even be put on hold.

Just call them up and get peace of mind - the process is quick and painless.
    I totally agree. They don't chew your brains and provide you all the things you need to know about this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Did it online anyway. Suffice to say, none of that stuff about cancelling manually was there when I had to deal with them last. It was all call center stuff.

Good to see them get with the times.

Its been available online for nearly a year now I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Meesared wrote: »
    Its been available online for nearly a year now I think?

Yeah, I've had xbox live since 05'
    Good to know though, next stop: abolish MS points :p

Much as its been rumoured, I can't see it happening for the 360 at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Alactric wrote: »
    They can't charge me if my card is dead right? I thought so too, then I found this. http://consumerist.com/2011/10/microsoft-zombie-bills-expired-credit-card-for-xbox-live.html

If a charge is set up as a Direct Debit on your credit card they are allowed charge you even if the card is outdated apparently as I had something similar with a travel insurance company recently and mentioned it on the BoI forum and the bank said there is nothing they can do

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056739272

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I've seen this before and I still can't understand how the banks can say that there is nothing they can do.

The way I see it is that company sets up a charge against your card. The number, CCV and expiry are X,Y,Z. All grand and dandy. Company requests money and bank pays out.

Your card expires and you get a new one, most likely X,Y,A. Company requests charge against X,Y,Z. Surely that makes a difference and the bank can turn around and say no to the company? "You no longer have correct details for the customer. You should contact them."

Granted it's automated but surely that should lead to less of this as the system should check for current details X,Y,A and not pay out otherwise. Smacks of banks not wanting to piss off big companies to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

It's up to the bank whether they choose to honour the payment after the card has expired. If it was a straightforward payment (DLC or points or something it would be rejected straight away, but as it's a subscription service, the bank may choose to honour a renewing charge. Nothing to do with Xbox, if the bank allow the payment then it's their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Advertisement