Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How thick am I?

• 02-09-2012 5:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I went into a hunting supply store today to buy some arrows, cheap wooden one's. I explained to the 'guy', how I had bought a 60-80 pound draw compound bow 2nd hand, to start off with, which he laughed at, explaining how it was stupid to begin with such a high draw weight, though I never had any problem with it.

So my question is, now that I am hooked of archery, should I go back to a 'beginner' bow so stick with the one I have?

- From what I can tell it is a Matthews Outback SoloCam 60-80 Pound Draw weight. Unsure about Draw length (learned about this stuff from Youtube, while waiting for my bow to arrive, and yes I am a nerd in my spare time, A nerd with a bow and arrows.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Please, whatever you do, DO NOT put wooden arrows on a Compound bow!!! Otherwise it will be a trip to A&E you will be making, to have the broken arrow removed from your arm!!

If you are only just starting out, I would recommend that you find a local club and use there equipment before you think about buying your own. They will also be able to help choose the correct equipment that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brianzilla

Yeah probably best to get some lessons. Using a bow that is too heavy could cause you injury.

If you need arrows you should go to one of the archery shops where they will advise on correct arrows.

P.s. i know you didn't mention it but, I hope the guy in the hunting supply shop also told you it is illegal to hunt with a bow in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Somehow he forgot to mention that, but I am not planning on hunting anything, just shooting at targets. The wooden arrows seem to be working fine, though a few have missed the cardboard target and shattered, it does have a whisker biscuit arrow rest, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brianzilla

I would highly recommend you to stop using these wooden arrows immediately before you cause yourself injury.

Wooden arrows are not stiff enough for compound bows. As an arrow is released from a compound bow it bends, as the wooden shaft has minimal resistance to bending it will break instead of bend. Even if the arrows appear to have no damage from being shot, the chances are that every shot is making them weaker. It's only a matter of time before you injure yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The problem is not the arrow shattering when it hits the target, rather there is a high risk that the arrow will shatter before it leaves the bow and drive shards into and through your bow hand and arm.

Have a look at youtube for slow mo videos of arrows being releases, you will be amazed at how much bending and wobbling happens before the arrow leaves the bow.

Even having an arrow head that is too heavy can cause the arrow to shatter as the front end of the arrow has too much inertia for the speed at which the bow is putting energy into the back of the arrow, causing the middle of the arrow to bend out to the side. If the arrow is not stiff enough then the arrow will break, right beside your hand.

Good arrows can break also if they have been damaged, that is what you need to check them every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I use fibreglass arrows on my 30lb compound, I surprised the 'guy' in the shop actually sold you wooden arrows for a compound bow, very reckless of him if you ask me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

56bfec23_get-attachment.jpeg

arrow-in-hand2.jpgScreen%20shot%202011-03-26%20at%209.25.35%20AM.png

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

He shoots progressively weaker arrows towards the end of the clip.......

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Well I will not be using any wooden arrows again, but is it safe to use the aluminium ones?
    Really don't want to be buying carbon fiber arrows (too expensive)

You still need to match the spine of the arrows to the poundage of the bow, otherwise you could still do some serious damage if they are under spined. You will also need to measure your draw length. Like I said before, if you're seriously thinking of taking up the sport, and insist on buying your own kit right away, you need to go to a club and do a starter course.

• Advertisement

I have looked but cannot seem to find any in Tipperary, do you know of any?

I have looked but cannot seem to find any in Tipperary, do you know of any?

Na Laoch Dall in Waterford,
    Warbow in Kilkenny,
    Blackdog in Cork
    Dunbrody in New Ross,
    Limerick Yeomen in Limerick....

Depends where in Tipp you are really. Loads of clubs around. Check out archery.ie or irishfieldarchery.com

Just be aware most clubs require you to be a member of the IFAF , 35 euro for a full year, worth it if you're serious about archery, and a lot less than your bow purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cheap digital slr cameras

If you are still a beginner, go to a certain club where you can enjoy the most for the persons of your same interest are there. It is not bad to self study, however, it is better to have a good teacher because archery is really dangerous.

Will definitely look into those, will they be able to assess the correct arrows to use and sell them to me? or just tell me the right one's to use?

I don't need the perfect arrows, with a 0.01mm tolerance accuracy, I just want arrows which I will not miss when they miss the target and break...and also not shoot into my hand would be nice.

Will definitely look into those, will they be able to assess the correct arrows to use and sell them to me? or just tell me the right one's to use?

I don't need the perfect arrows, with a 0.01mm tolerance accuracy, I just want arrows which I will not miss when they miss the target and break...and also not shoot into my hand would be nice.

I'm not part of any clubs myself as of yet, only started this year on quite a weak bow but they will be able to advise on suitable arrows for your bow and may even have some themselves you could try out, they should be able to tell you where to source them at a reasonable price.

What type target are you using? I made a homemade one out of layered carpet taped together with a paper target attached, I shoot mine sitting up against a high grass bank, that way when I miss they hit the bank and I can pull them out with no damage, I don't advise placing your target anywhere near a hard surface as the arrows could bounce back.

My aim is not good enough for a freestanding target as when I miss the arrows tend to bury themselves in the ground behind the target, lost a few good arrows that way!

The guy in the store who sold me the wooden arrows advised me to use a cardboard box with old clothes, luckily the folks just got a 42" TV so the box is being put to good use now, nice easily movable target but can be hard to hit from 50 - 75 foot. 'found' a few heavy cardboard road signs left abandoned at the side of the road which help to reinforce it.

Handy, well as long as the arrows don't disappear all's good! Happy shooting.

Advertisement