Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best EPL era Striker

• 01-09-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

buyer95 wrote: »
    I'm not doubting his greatness as a player, I was just pointing out that the guy who said he had " cut out " the diving in recent years was being wholly inaccurate. He was probably the best striker in the Premiership for most of his Chelsea career

I would have no problem saying he was probably the best striker to ever play in the premier league.The way the game has gone unfortunately most players dive now :eek: Roy keane has even been known to dive at times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

mixed up wrote: »
    I would have no problem saying he was probably the best striker to ever play in the premier league.The way the game has gone unfortunately most players dive now :eek: Roy keane has even been known to dive at times.

Alan Shearer, Dennis Bergkamp, Eric Cantona and Thierry Henry were all better strikers for my money. Still one of the best though

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Alan Shearer, Dennis Bergkamp, Eric Cantona and Thierry Henry were all better strikers for my money. Still one of the best though

There's no way eric cantona was in the same league as drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

As an out and out striker no but as a footballer,very much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Or Henry
    Or Bergkamp
    Or Shearer

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Or Henry
    Or Bergkamp
    Or Shearer

I would agree but the three of them would be a hell of a lot better than cantona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I would agree but the three of them would be a hell of a lot better than cantona.

and Drogba.

Or Henry
    Or Bergkamp
    Or Shearer

So what you think Drogba was the best striker so far in the Premier league era?:rolleyes:

So what you think Drogba was the best striker so far in the Premier league era?:rolleyes:

Cantona..I thought that was obvious.

Cantona..I thought that was obvious.

See above post were I said I thought, Shearer, Henry, Bergkamp and Cantona were better players then Drogba. I was shot down and told Cantona was inferior to all the above player...

Personally I think Cantana was the best striker to play in the Premiership so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cantona isn't fit to lace the boots of Henry to be perfectly honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cantona isn't fit to lace the boots of Henry to be perfectly honest

lol.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    lol.

I mean that quite literally.

It's just not even close.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I mean that quite literally.

It's just not even close.

And I mean this quite literally. Lol.

As long as you recognise you hold that opinion solely because you're a Utd fan & anyone with half a brain will know you're incredibly wrong, that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

As long as you recognise you hold that opinion solely because you're a Utd fan & anyone with half a brain will know you're incredibly wrong, that's fine.

Hang on, did you, a multi time winner of the annual biased poster award, just accuse someone else of bias clouding their judgement?

That's taking the pot and kettle to a whole new level

See above post were I said I thought, Shearer, Henry, Bergkamp and Cantona were better players then Drogba. I was shot down and told Cantona was inferior to all the above player...

He is inferior. Cantona was good, but he was/is overrated by mostly United fans because he was a huge fan favourite. I have done the same myself.

This thread is about Drogba, so we should just leave it there before it all kicks off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Personally I think Cantana was the best striker to play in the Premiership so far

Cantona played in English football when it was without doubt at it's weakest in the last ~40 years, he didn't make much of an impact in Europe against superior opposition. He was very good but Henry was easily the better player, don't even think it's particularly contentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Cantona played in English football when it was without doubt at it's weakest in the last ~40 years, he didn't make much of an impact in Europe against superior opposition. He was very good but Henry was easily the better player, don't even think it's particularly contentious.

Tbf its really difficult to gauge how much of an impact he could have had in europe considering the foreign player restrictions and how long english teams had been out of it before the years he played in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm a United fan and Mr. Alan is not far off, though perhaps a little strong in his language.

Henry was one of the top 3 players in the world for a prolonged period, Cantona was never even in the top 10. He dominated the Premiership, but this was when the Premiership was relatively poor.

Applying the same logic (and to get slightly back on topic) Drogba for me was better than Shearer too.

Drogba would be a great addition to any Premier League side with the exception of the Manchester clubs who are well-stocked up front as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Henry is the best striker the premiership ever had imo and I'm not an Arsenal fan! The guy was just on another level. I'd say Drogba would be in the top 5 for alot of people though, myself included. I'd have Shearer, Van Nistelrooy there aswell, no idea who the 5th would be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Henry would be my first choice also.

Notable mentions to Drogba, Bergkamp, van Nistelrooy, Cantona and Shearer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

When I think striker, I think in-the-box predator. Van Nistelrooy tops it for me, Fowler not far off.

You wouldn't see RvN flicking the ball up outside the box and volleying it over Barthez, for example.

Shearer was top class. A beast of a centre forward.

Bergkamp was a genius, Henry was class but just a notch below him. Cantona wasn't in the same bracket as these guys tbh, particularly these two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

All this romance stuff is rediculous. Cantona wasn't even close to being the best EPL striker at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Shearer or Henry for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I'm biased as a Chelsea fan but I'd say Drogba simply because he would play upfront on his own and down right bully defences, he was just a machine, Henry would be my no.2 just a class act altogether.

A good way of deciding this would be to imagine your a defender, who would you least like to play against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

A strikers job is simply to score goals. RVN, RVP and Drogba would be the best goalscorers off the top of my head in that order.

killwill wrote: »
    A strikers job is simply to score goals. RVN, RVP and Drogba would be the best goalscorers off the top of my head in that order.
    Shearer? :confused:

Van Nistleroy isn't even in the top 10 epl goalscorers of all time, Drogba neither for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Shearer and Henry comfortably the two best strikers imo.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Shearer? :confused:

Van Nistleroy isn't even in the top 10 epl goalscorers of all time, Drogba neither for that matter.
    There's variables in fairness.
    You have to take into consideration the time spent in the league.

Someone could have 250 goals in 10 years to someone else's 200 in 5 years.
    Who is the better striker there?

That said,I'm voting Amir Zaki :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Drogba has scored more than 20 league goals only twice. He is a great player and unplayable on his day, but he is very much overrated. I rate him as one of the best strikers to play in the league but no way he is the best.

As an out and out striker or goal scorers there are better strikers.

In 8 seasons he has scored 20 plus goals 2 times and 10 plus goals only 3 times. (barely crossed 10 goals mark)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Jimmy Greaves

Edit: Top scorers: Shearer, Cole, Henry, Fowler

racso1975 wrote: »
    Jimmy Greaves
    EPL era,lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

As a striker RvN was way beyond Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

killwill wrote: »
    A strikers job is simply to score goals. , RVP

LOL. In his 8 seasons in the EPL hes only hit more then 10 in 4 seasons. Hes only scored more then 20 once, last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I love the 'what do you mean Cantona wasn't the bestest evar!!??' rubbish we need to wade through every time this topic comes up.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I love the 'what do you mean Cantona wasn't the bestest evar!!??' rubbish we need to wade through every time this topic comes up.
    Don't think anybody said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

In no order:

Bergkamp
    Le Tissier
    Shearer
    RVP
    Henry

lol no one said that. Cantona has a cult hero status at United and he was a very good player but he's not in the top 5 for Manchester United nevermind the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Fowler was up there with the best.

It's a bit of joke if people are rating Drogba higher than RVP and Torres in his prime.

Furthermore these threads end up as a Cantona bashing thread.

The best striker was probably Henry and then Shearer.

djPSB wrote: »
    Fowler was up there with the best.

And the Liverpool Torres.

Neither should get near a top 10.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Don't think anybody said that.
    lol no one said that. Cantona has a cult hero status at United and he was a very good player but he's not in the top 5 for Manchester United nevermind the PL.

Thierry Henry 2001 - 2006 is as good as it has got to date imo.

One guy.

In no order:

Bergkamp
    Le Tissier
    Shearer
    RVP
    Henry

Le Tiss was hugely overated imo, thats why he only ever won 8 caps for england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bergkamp and Cantona were on a similar level. Not the best ever seen but very good nonetheless. Drogba barely ever broke 20 goals a season so he can feck off. Rooney is a better striker than him. Actually, Rooney is up thee on record alone. This doesn't even take into account his creative abilities and link up play.

It has to be one of Shearer, Henry and RVN. One player who hasn't been mentioned is Andy Cole which seems harsh considering his record is incredible, without taking pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Neither should get near a top 10.

There wasn't a better striker out there when he was in his prime.

RVP is alot better than Drogba ever was. Fowler was also a class act, one of the best finishers the game has ever had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement