Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best EPL era Striker

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't beat a generalisation on a Saturday afternoon eh.

Look at you using a word like generalisation bravo sir well done to you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think we need some criteria that needs to be filled out for each entry. The term greatest can mean a hundred and one different things to different people, so in order to compare the "greatest" strike in the EPL, you'll need to match them up, stat wise, over key areas.

E.g.
    Goals scored
    Assists
    Trophies/Medals won
    European Goals scored (Lets face CL is a whole other level, which is why Cantona just can;t even be considered for this glorious title)

Personally it has to be Ruud van Nistelrooy for me because I just thought he class from day one, and he was the first name I got on a jersey as a child! Bias aside, he was a proven goal scorer and winner. Henry, however, is also one savage striker.

Henry:

369 games, 226 goals, 0.61 per game (all comps)
    92 assists
    5 trophies (2x league, 3x FA Cup)
    42 continental goals in 84 games.

RVN:

219 games, 150 goals, 0.68 per game (all comps)
    9 assists (not entirely sure this is right!)
    3 trophies (1x league, 1x FA Cup, 1x League Cup)
    38 continental goals in 49 games.

So Van Nistelrooy was a better pure scorer (we knew that), but Henry has way more assists and a few more trophies to boot. So by your logic, Henry was better :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Fowler score 30+ in each of his first four Full seasons as a pro please don't compare him to solskear who never came anything close to the player fowler was.

saying that fowler, just like cantona was not the best striker of the epl era and it would be stupid to suggest otherwise.

Again I'm not suggesting Cantona was the best striker of the epl era as he was not a striker & I'm also saying he was not the best player. But he'd be in the top 10.
    He played as a Support Striker or an Attacking Midfielder and his goal return for that role was very impressive. Cantona should not be mentioned in this thread for the simple reason that he was not an out & out striker.

I'm simply saying he's getting far to much criticism & not enough credit that he deserves.

Imo at least Cantona was a better all round player.

But Fowler was a great finisher without question & does deserve to be mentioned on here because he was an out & out striker unlike Cantona.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Funny thing is what I remember fowler doing in his career was pretend to snort coke off sideline!!! That says it all he really was a true scouser. He doesn't hold a candle to most strikers in top 10 never mind top 3!! Typical lfc talking themselves the club or players up when lets face it they are a terrible team that for a decade or so were good.

Fowler, Rush, Barnes, McManaman, Redknapp, Berger, Bjorenebye, Owen, Carragher, Ince.

Yep, useless bunch of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Henry:

369 games, 226 goals, 0.61 per game (all comps)
    92 assists
    5 trophies (2x league, 3x FA Cup)
    42 continental goals in 84 games.

RVN:

219 games, 150 goals, 0.68 per game (all comps)
    9 assists (not entirely sure this is right!)
    3 trophies (1x league, 1x FA Cup, 1x League Cup)
    38 continental goals in 49 games.

So Van Nistelrooy was a better pure scorer (we knew that), but Henry has way more assists and a few more trophies to boot. So by your logic, Henry was better :pac:

That's why I peppered it with the e.g. which means for example. Plus, do we need to imagine what RVN would have been like with another 150 games like Henry?

Realistically assists are more a mid field statistic in hind sight, as it's the strikers job to score the goals. But, would we not have to consider the quality of the opposition played to really see who was best? It's great scoring 100 goals, but not if the teams you score against are utter gick. It's a tough one alright. I'm sticking with RVN purely based on his goal scoring but I am bias. Also a shout out to the mighty Berbatov because he's my man crush <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

]

Funny thing is what I remember fowler doing in his career was pretend to snort coke off sideline!!! .

I was watching motd with the bird not so long ago, and when she saw Gary linker, she said 'oh that's the guy from the walkers crisps ad'. I remember thinking that it demonstrated perfectly how little she knew about football, that her only reason for knowing who Gary linker was, was because of a crisp ad

Similarly with yourself, robbie fowler was one of the best epl strikers of his time, and certainly worthy of a mention alongside the epl's top 10 strikers, yet all you know of him, you a poster putting forward your opinion on the leagues best striker,is of how he celebrated scoring a penalty in a derby?

Anyway, it's a daft argument. Tony yeboh everyday of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Fabrizio Ravanelli, just for the fact that when he was with Middlesbrough they used to train in a local park (which was probably covered in dog **** and used condoms knowing Teeside) and still scored 17 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Inpolite Van Nistelrooy, FACT. Henry better all round player/striker/maker of goals and scored alot of crackers but Ruud just never missed, machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For me, Henry, because as well as being a scoring machine, he was more involved in creating goals than my other 2 candidates - Shearer and Van Nistelrooy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

tdv123 wrote: »
    Funny thing is what I remember fowler doing in his career was pretend to snort coke off sideline!!! That says it all he really was a true scouser. He doesn't hold a candle to most strikers in top 10 never mind top 3!! Typical lfc talking themselves the club or players up when lets face it they are a terrible team that for a decade or so were good.

Fowler, Rush, Barnes, McManaman, Redknapp, Berger, Bjorenebye, Owen, Carragher, Ince.

Yep, useless bunch of players.
    Fancy dans.

Advertisement