Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auction price + vat?

Options
  • 02-09-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello, i recently bought a property at auction, i am a private buyer and it turns
    out the property is subject to vat.
    It was a contractor that built the house and kept it for over 2 years renting
    it out, then it was repossessed and sold at auction.
    There was a note in the legal pack stating that vat may be due.
    Does anyone think there is a way out of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You really need to talk to a tax advisor.

That you bought at auction means you have very little comeback against the vendor's side - you are expected to come to an auction with open eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

What does your solicitor say? was it occupied for over 24 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dexterd

Yes it was occupied for over 24 months, my solicitor says I have a good case not to pay the vat on the grounds of improper advertisement and it should have been clearly stated.
    I am afraid to dispute it as I might loose my deposit some way or other!
    I did read the legal pack and seen the clause but was 50/50 on wither I would have to pay it or not and factored it into the price anyway.
    Thought maybe the 2 year vat rule would apply but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Two rules, the two and five-year rules, determine if a property is “new” –
    • The first supply of a completed property within five years of its completion is
    considered to be the supply of a new property and is subject to VAT.
    • The second and subsequent supply of a property is considered to be the supply
    of a new property and subject to VAT but only if it takes place within two
    years of occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dexterd

Yes that's what I thought the vat rule was, the property I bought was 5 years and a few months old so I thought I should be ok without paying the vat? But my solicitor said that I had to. Is there anybody with experience of this that can help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement