Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines to Marino commuting help needed!

Options
  • 02-09-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all,

I'm considering moving to Rathmines and commuting to work in Marino daily.

First question: Am I completely mad to even consider trying to get across the city at peak hours? (must be there by 8:30am).

Second question: Would driving or commuting by bus be better? The number 14 would bring me door to door. Anyone know if this line is reasonably reliable and how long it might take compared to driving in? I'd say I'd be leaving Rathmines no later than 8am

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Leaving as late as 8 might be cutting it a bit fine, but the 14 is a very reliable service.
    Driving, the big problem you will have in Marino is parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Etoiledemer

Thanks for the reply Spurious. Parking isn't a problem as it's provided at work. Good to know that the number 14 is fairly reliable. Any ideas how long the bus commute might take?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Would be a handy enough cycle if that's your thing. Bus journey would be about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The 15 bus will also take you. The 14 and 15 share the same routing between Rathgar and Donnycarney. Their combined frequency in the morning is roughly every 5/7 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

14/15 will take you to Marino direction, (both pass Marino College Fairview) then take left onto Malahide Road depending on where in Marino you need to go you shouldn't have to walk to far either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd be inclined to cross the city another way as the busses can get snarled up when it's busy. Hop on a dublinbike at the canal and cross the city to Talbot Street. You can then hop on one of about ten busses heading north towards marino. 10 minute walk to the canal + 15min cycle + 10min on the bus.

If you were that way inclined you can actually walk to Marino in about 30 minutes from Talbot street.

Thanks everyone so much for all the info. great to know about the buses and approx. times. I'm a teacher and am often lugging around lots of copies and books so the bus or car would be the best options.

Just wondering if anybody has any idea about how long a commute it'd be in a car?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

If you do choose the bus, make sure you use a prepaid ticket. It's hander and cheaper. Check with your employer about availing of a tax saver ticket. The scheme offers great savings on prepaid tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Rathmines into town by car wouldn't be the worst drive and then you're going against the traffic heading to Marino.

If you can get onto the canal (maybe cut down by Mt Pleasant Avenue, you can turn right onto the canal there) and head down towards the docks and go over the Samuel Beckett Bridge and head up by North Strand you would avoid most of the bus route bottlenecks.

Am endebted to you all for the info. Thanks a million everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement