Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star bar shrunk

• 02-09-2012 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cadburys-starbar-hit-by-shrink-ray-3216946.html

THE grocery "shrink ray" has struck again. Cadbury's delicious Star Bar -- a chocolate, caramel and peanut-filled feast of yumminess -- is now a little bit smaller. But the price hasn't come down.

"Like many businesses, the long-term price trend of many of the things we use to make our products is rising," according to a spokesman for Kraft, which owns Cadbury. "The size of a Starbar has changed from 53g to 49g; however, we believe that our confectionery still represents good value for money and is a very affordable treat."

The shrinking Starbar is the only Cadbury chocolate bar to have a bit lopped off it in "recent months".

Faced with the rising cost of raw materials, big food manufacturers are quietly reducing the size of their products. Chocolate companies are doing much of the shrinking, which sees customers get less chocolate for the same amount of money.

The Irish confectionery market is estimated to be worth around €625m, with Irish people among the highest per-capita consumers of chocolate in the world.

Cadbury has some form when it comes to shrinking its bars, with the big Dairy Milk being miniaturised from 140g to just 120g in the past.

Rolo, made by Swiss food giant Nestle, reduced the number of Rolos in each packet from 11 to 10. Mars Bars also fell from 62.5 gram down to a less impressive 58 gram size.

Pringles also got squeezed from 200g down to 170g -- but has bounced back to 190g.

Dairylea Lunchables -- the lazy parent's school lunch solution -- has also seen its dimensions reduced.

- Nick Webb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pretty soon, customers will have to be given magnifying glasses so that they can see the sweets on display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

YORKIE BARS
    they only have 5 squares now, they originally had 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I wonder how it pays them to reduce the machinery that moulds the bars. I remember in the 60's thinking the Dairy milk had got thinner - it had when I found an 'original' in a shop ( no 'best before' back then ! :rolleyes: )
    Another time in VietNam I discovered the drinks sold in the 'tourist areas' had 150ml less than the regular ones - shades of 'pub size' practice :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

The next thing they will be doing is saying the size reduction is to help consumers be healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The next thing they will be doing is saying the size reduction is to help consumers be healthier.

They have been saying it for a while.....

Bought a packet of McVities penguins last week for the first time in years and couldn't believe how small they were.
    Thought my memory was playing tricks but googled it and found that they were reduced in size on health grounds
    http://dev2.previewbox.co.uk/data/file/FINAL%20Health%20and%20Nutrition%20Update%20Sept%202010.pdf
    Reducing Packs and Portion Sizes
    "UB recognises that consumers require a choice of pack sizes for different eating occasions and we have developed a broad range of portion sizes to reflect this. We’re reformulating the recipes or re-sizing several products in our range so that they offer fewer Calories per portion. For example, the Penguin biscuit bar has recently reduced to 106 Calories per bar. Further development will continue in this area."

had to have 2 with a cup of tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

K.Flyer wrote: »
    YORKIE BARS

So are Yorkie Bars now for Girls given they have one less square :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

They use to have each letter of the word yorkie on each square so that had to change when it went to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommytwotimes

Smaller bar, bigger price for said bar. I'd love a Mint Feast right now but they don't make them anymore. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Smaller bar, bigger price for said bar. I'd love a Mint Feast right now but they don't make them anymore. :(

They might still make them, but they could have shrunk so much that they're invisible to the naked eye.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What the HB ice cream? I had one only about 1 week ago :D
    ... I'd love a Mint Feast right now but they don't make them anymore. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommytwotimes

I've been looking in all the wrong places, my search for a Mint Feast shall start again. Right after I have a Wibbly Wobbly Wonder....;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

YORKIE BARS

now you mention it..................cnuts......:mad:

YORKIE BARS

remeber the 6 square has each letter on each piece :mad:

remeber the 6 square has each letter on each piece :mad:

No bother for them to change the name to YORKY ! They change everything else so it's a problem change the name ??? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

YORKIE BARS

ppftt...I remember when they had 7. Lovely tinfoil and paper wrapping too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭CH3OH

224535.jpg
    224536.jpg

The shrinking Haribo Trick or Treat tub!!
    The kids had kept the container from last year which was €6 in Tesco

Thought the tubs looked a bit smaller this year. 29% smaller =same price
    No wonder the bear looks happy

Advertisement