Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'new entrants' to public sector liable for 10% pay cut

Options
  • 02-09-2012 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,
    I have been working for Dublin City Council as a general operative in the Cultural, Recreational and Amenities Dept. prior to January 2011.

I have recently been offered a teaching job obviously to work under the Dept. of Education.

My query is am I classed as a 'new entrant' and liable for the 10% pay cut even though from my understanding I have worked in the public sector prior to January 2011 when this ruling was effective from???

Any advice or help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

ballymoefc wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I have been working for Dublin City Council as a general operative in the Cultural, Recreational and Amenities Dept. prior to January 2011.

I have recently been offered a teaching job obviously to work under the Dept. of Education.

My query is am I classed as a 'new entrant' and liable for the 10% pay cut even though from my understanding I have worked in the public sector prior to January 2011 when this ruling was effective from???

Any advice or help would be appreciated...

I think the Department of Education conditions are slightly different, it's new entrants to teaching, rather than new entrants to the public service. As you are new to teaching, you wouldnt get the qualification allowances and would be liable for the 10% cut. Details available here:

http://www.corkvec.ie/vacancies/documents/NewPayScalesforNewAppointeestoTeachingin2011_004.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

phoenix999 wrote: »
    I think the Department of Education conditions are slightly different, it's new entrants to teaching, rather than new entrants to the public service. As you are new to teaching, you wouldnt get the qualification allowances and would be liable for the 10% cut. Details available here:

http://www.corkvec.ie/vacancies/documents/NewPayScalesforNewAppointeestoTeachingin2011_004.pdf

That looks fairly clearcut...

I would have thought as an existing public servant you wouldnt be liable to reduced rate but apparently so........

Very unfair too. New teachers have been screwed with the 30% pay cut. No other group took a hit that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Sorry to be a bit cruel here but not sure how you can be talking about a "pay cut" for a job you do not have. The pay level is clear before you join or accept a position. Your choice whether you accept it or not.

Well pay levels are about as clear as mud due to cuts in allowances etc. And it's never a good idea to pay people doing the exact same job different rates. It will do wonders for morale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Yes but when you think about it in other sectors people do the same jobs and get paid different amounts all the time, maybe that is what is wrong with the public sector that everyone gets the same regardless of talent, experience etc, suppose you have to take the rough with smooth,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

marnieb wrote: »
    Yes but when you think about it in other sectors people do the same jobs and get paid different amounts all the time, maybe that is what is wrong with the public sector that everyone gets the same regardless of talent, experience etc, suppose you have to take the rough with smooth,

One of the problems with this in the public sector is that there is no incentive to do an extra little bit of work, be flexible and take on extra tasks or stay a little later at the end of the day because it wouldn't earn you anything(in areas where there is no scope for a higher position). One of the jobs I had the only move you could make was a sideways one, but coming from the private sector I was in the mindset of not having a contract that listed specific roles. Other staff members were nay impressed when I did things that ''were not my job'', never stopped me but I wasn't a favourite. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

And it's never a good idea to pay people doing the exact same job different rates. It will do wonders for morale.

It's extremely common in the private sector. People who are better qualified, have more relevant experience or who are simply are better negotiators usually start on higher salary. Once in the door, employees who prove themselves can earn more than competent workers.

It's only really in the public and civil sectors that the communist ideal of everyone being equal seems to taken root.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Very unfair too. New teachers have been screwed with the 30% pay cut. No other group took a hit that big.

Aside from people who lost their job and suffered a 100% pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

markpb wrote: »
    It's only really in the public and civil sectors that the communist ideal of everyone being equal seems to taken root.

In fairness, even there, it's unevenly applied.

Ever heard of "yellow pack EO's?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Few groups had so much fat that could be trimmed off, and there is still more to go in my opinion. The 4k or therabouts allowance/bonus for having a bachelor's degree is absolute madness - this is a minimum requirement for the job surely.

The school year should be extended also - I'm talking about mid term breaks in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

One of the problems with this in the public sector is that there is no incentive to do an extra little bit of work, be flexible and take on extra tasks or stay a little later at the end of the day because it wouldn't earn you anything(in areas where there is no scope for a higher position). One of the jobs I had the only move you could make was a sideways one, but coming from the private sector I was in the mindset of not having a contract that listed specific roles. Other staff members were nay impressed when I did things that ''were not my job'', never stopped me but I wasn't a favourite. :D

Not 100% true. There is a performance rating system, although there is a lack of consistency in how it is applied across the system. Extra work, extra responsibility etc. gives you a higher rating which in theory is used to earn a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

hardybuck wrote: »

Few groups had so much fat that could be trimmed off, and there is still more to go in my opinion. The 4k or therabouts allowance/bonus for having a bachelor's degree is absolute madness - this is a minimum requirement for the job surely.

The school year should be extended also - I'm talking about mid term breaks in particular.

And how would they fit in their holidays abroad then? Sure it's tight enough as it is with only around 4 months off a year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As has been pointed out, it's not a cut if they never had it in the first place.

All that's happening now is that new entrants are paying the price for the unions refusal to allow any sort of change to their current members.

I think they are paid to much considering the hours they work and the fact that the standards of the education system has declined (according to OECD figures) since 2000 despite an increase in renumeration for teachers.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Yes it is crazy that teachers get thousands every year not just a once off for having a degree, not only that but even if they just pass it they get x amount, for a 2.1 so much, for a 2.2 so much etc. why give so much for having passed your degree exams, and why pay it every year for the rest of their career, no wonder the country is broke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

marnieb wrote: »
    Yes it is crazy that teachers get thousands every year not just a once off for having a degree, not only that but even if they just pass it they get x amount, for a 2.1 so much, for a 2.2 so much etc. why give so much for having passed your degree exams, and why pay it every year for the rest of their career, no wonder the country is broke

A 2:1 from one university is worth a lot more than a 2:1 from another. I don't think that would be a particularly sensible way to allocate pay, way too much credit is given for exam results in our education system anyway (Some people have an autistic ability to retain and process generally irrelevant information, try talking to them in conversation about it and often they'll find it difficult as they are merely trying to condense the information so that it'll get top marks in an exam)

Advertisement