Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I still be entitled to BTEA when doing a mandatory year outside the EU

Options
  • 02-09-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

I'm doing Chinese and International Business in DIT. I'll have to spend 3rd year (2013/2014) in Beijing as part of the course. I don't know of any other mature students who have completed the course or who have been over there so I don't know if I'll be entitled to a BTEA while over there.

Anyone know who would be the best people to find out from? I've asked social welfare and they're not sure so I'd like to go to the top of the chain of comman and ask them instead of just asking someone in the Social Welfare Local Office.

Are social welfare head offices in Carrick-on-shannon? Anyone ever dealt with them? I think students who go on Erasmus within The EU are still entitled to their BTEA but I'm not sure if it applies to students who go outside The EU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi PP,

I'll pm you the name and number of the person to talk to in DSP, Carrick on Shannon who deals with BTEA if you like?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭pprendeville

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi PP,

I'll pm you the name and number of the person to talk to in DSP, Carrick on Shannon who deals with BTEA if you like?

Yes I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

What was the result? I too would like to know for China :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yes you can get BTEA for time spent abroad as part of a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I am in process of writing to:

Department Of Social Protection, Back To Education Schemes, Social Welfare Services, Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick On Shannon‎ Leitrim
    Ireland

to find out. Need info from the college to enclose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

provided the time spent abroad is a mandatory part of the course, i.e. you have to do it to get your qualification, then if you have been awarded btea for that course you should be entitled to it while studying abroad.

Advertisement