Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you kiss someone with HIV/hepatitis?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

No I wouldn't. Recently found out that an asian girl that was in my class with me since 1st year had hep. That freaks me out, even being near her. I would most definately not kiss someone with it.

HIV freaks me out to the point I done my thesis on it, researched it in minute detail, so as I wouldn't catch it. You know that squatting a mosquito thats bitten someone with HIV actually can cause you to get it, if you have a cut? I watched a tv programme once where someone picked up a petrol pump, and there was a needle taped to the inside, and they were spiked with it. Its why I pull my sleeve over my hand when Im filling petrol, although I know theres like .00001% of a chance it happening.

While doing the research for my thesis, I found what was called "gift giving", that made me not sleep for ages thinking about it. Its where gay men hold a gift giving party, there is 1 HIV positive male there, and all the men have unprotected sex with different men, nobody knowing who is actually the positive one. All in the hopes of catching it. Its sick. Its called "pozzing".

Some men see it as a "gift", they might be dating a hiv positive guy, and feel like they're receiving something special. Its very disturbing and they should all be locked up, never to be let out again.

I would rather be mugged with a gun, and have my head blown off, than be mugged with a syringe and have to live with that terrible disease for the rest of my life, i would no joke kill myself if i caught it. There would be nothing worse. Nothing.

a thesis? You handed that nonsense up as your thesis? I hope you catch it -now that would be funny

mosquitos and petrol pumps give people aids.

gold star for the retard

mod: banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

efb wrote: »
    I was seeing how rational it was- which essentially seemed to reveal the poster's obsession with one specific disease, not a disease.

Rational is important for me.

Oh I see, ya does seem a bit odd to be obsessed with HIV in particular unless the poster is in a demographic that has a higher risk of contracting it. There is quite a low risk in ireland... prevalance of 0.2% . I'm open to correction but i would imagine that is highly skewed towards drug addicts etc.

http://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/hiv_aids_adult_prevalence_rate.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Dockington wrote: »
    Whats your problem with someone wanting to avoid getting a disease...I admit dramaqueen seems to have a bit of an odd obsession with the disease but still its logical to take precautions to avoid it...avoiding unprotected sex etc.

You seem to be taking offence to this person not wanting to contract it.

dramaqueen was upset because a girl in her class had hepatitis, covered her hand with her sleeve incase an infected person had taped a syring to a petrol pump and seemed to think that being HIV positive meant certain death. No mention of safe sex which really should be a given, and not just because of HIV/Hep. Her main issue seems to be the social stigma associated with it.

All very strange views for someone who had researched and wrote a thesis on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

You know that squatting a mosquito thats bitten someone with HIV actually can cause you to get it, if you have a cut?

To avoid that risk, just check for mosquito's before you squatt, especially after someone has stabbed you in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

this thread has given me a new metaphor for bare-backing- being "petrol pumped"
    You might enjoy it but its going to cost you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Its why I pull my sleeve over my hand when Im filling petrol, although I know theres like .00001% of a chance it happening.

The sleeve of what? Your suit of armour? Because a needle will quite readily go through a sweater sleeve. Indeed, you covering your hand would desensitize you to the presence of anything under the handle and thus make it more likely you'd stab yourself with it if it were there.

"Drama Queen" - too ****ing right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

You cant even be safe standing near someone with Aids, what if a mad man burst in with a machine gun a shot them to pieces, anyone yawning near by would get infected blood in their mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

At least its not AIDS.

the AIDS doesn't kill you. It weakens the immune system so that eventually a common cold could put you six feet under. As a slight aside, advances in HIV/AIDS medication means that it's treated more like a chronic illness rather than the death sentence it previously was. When the medication started, the regiment was so difficult (anything up to 40 tablets to be taken at different intervals at different times of the day. a full time job in itself. depression among patients was also a significant problem) that it meant that a sufferer could do very little outside of taking the drugs that were extending their lives only to have no life, thankfully that's down to 1-5 or so per day (or along those lines I think, i'm open to correction! Anyhew, amateur dramatics and scare mongering theses aside, chill out DramaxQueenx, the AIDS most likely isn't gonna getcha, assuming you're practicing safe sex, you're using clean needles and you're not becoming blood brothers with folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I done my thesis on it

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Yes, I'd totally kiss them. Unless their lips had fallen off on account of the AIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

It is now believed that 70% of those infected with HIV will have a normal life expectancy and will die of a condition unrelated to their HIV status as long as they receive the correct medical treatment.

The worst thing about having HIV would be the social stigma associated with the condition, This is mainly due to a lack of understanding about the condition. It is no longer a death sentence and there are far more serious and deadly diseases out there.

Exactly. I'm stunned at the ignorance in some posts.

All paranoia does is heap stigma upon stigma.

A person with undetectable viral load would find it almost impossible to transmit the virus. Modern drug therapy keeps the viral load undetectable if the regimen is properly adhered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The CDC says you're wrong: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm

Can HIV be transmitted by kissing?

It depends on the type of kissing. There is no risk from closed-mouth kissing.

There are extremely rare cases of HIV being transmitted via deep “French” kissing but in each case, infected blood was exchanged due to bleeding gums or sores in the mouth. Because of this remote risk, it is recommended that individuals who are HIV-infected avoid deep, open-mouth “French” kissing with a non-infected partner, as there is a potential risk of transferring infected blood. Summary:

There is no risk of transmission closed-mouth kissing.
    There is a remote risk from deep, open-mouth kissing if there are sores or bleeding gums and blood is exchanged. Therefore, persons living with HIV should avoid this behavior with a non-infected partner.

So there is a very low risk of HIV transmission.

WTF? That doesn't contradict what he said. The paragraph you've posted doesn't say you can contract HIV through "kissing." It says you can contract it through the exchange of blood. Does "kissing" regularly involve the exchange of blood for you?

Not only does it require an exchange of blood, but it would have to be an absolute definite exchange of a f*ck load of highly infected blood. And even then, you're still not guaranteed to catch it.

Did you know that even if HIV enters your body, your body can actually fight a certain amount of it off? So, even if it does enter your body, the chances of it infecting you is still quite low?

Did you know that even if you have unprotected sex with somebody who has hiv, the chances of you catching it from them is 1 in 2,000?

Did you know that HIV is currently highly treatable? That people who have it go on to lead normal, full lives? That HIV treatment pretty much eradicates the HIV from your blood, as long as you keep taking it, therefore making it almost impossible to pass it on to someone else?

The ignorance in this thread is mind-blowing.

I understand the fear of HIV, but at least do your research before you impose your dramatics and scare-mongering on others. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

LOL at the PC police. "How very un PC of you, not wanting to have AIDS. Shame on you, think about how that makes AIDS victims feel".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

LOL at the PC police. "How very un PC of you, not wanting to have AIDS. Shame on you, think about how that makes AIDS victims feel".

Your fear is way out of proportion to the actual risk.

While no one wants a virus with no cure, it serves no useful purpose to further stigmatise, dramatise, exaggerate, or otherwise disproportionately demonise HIV.

Instead of spending your life defensively imagining risks to your health in everyday circumstances, perhaps your time would be better spent in dealing with the effect paranoia has on your ability to live a normal life.

Edit: You should read up some more on the difference between a person with HIV and an AIDS victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I recently learned of a friends uncle who has hepatitis, he is in a relationship with a woman hepatitis free and it made me wonder how she could do it. I have a mild case of OCD so there is no way I could do it.

What. The. Actual. Fuck?

I'm now convinced you're a red top journalist. The opinions you come out with are uninformed to say the least. Does he have Hep A, B or C? Is it chronic or acute? Sweet Jesus, can you trying Googling this stuff? It'd save you a lot of embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No it's the absurdity of your flawed logic. I don't think AIDS victims would pay it much heed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No I wouldn't. Recently found out that an asian girl that was in my class with me since 1st year had hep. That freaks me out, even being near her. I would most definately not kiss someone with it.

HIV freaks me out to the point I done my thesis on it, researched it in minute detail, so as I wouldn't catch it. You know that squatting a mosquito thats bitten someone with HIV actually can cause you to get it, if you have a cut? I watched a tv programme once where someone picked up a petrol pump, and there was a needle taped to the inside, and they were spiked with it. Its why I pull my sleeve over my hand when Im filling petrol, although I know theres like .00001% of a chance it happening.

While doing the research for my thesis, I found what was called "gift giving", that made me not sleep for ages thinking about it. Its where gay men hold a gift giving party, there is 1 HIV positive male there, and all the men have unprotected sex with different men, nobody knowing who is actually the positive one. All in the hopes of catching it. Its sick. Its called "pozzing".

Some men see it as a "gift", they might be dating a hiv positive guy, and feel like they're receiving something special. Its very disturbing and they should all be locked up, never to be let out again.

I would rather be mugged with a gun, and have my head blown off, than be mugged with a syringe and have to live with that terrible disease for the rest of my life, i would no joke kill myself if i caught it. There would be nothing worse. Nothing.

It's idiotic, sensational and unreasonably loud stances like this that make dealing with the disease even more difficult.

As stated already, most people who are Hiv positive die WITH it, not because of it.

Stop stigmatising. Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

LOL at the immaturity of your last few posts. I really hope you're winding us up, otherwise it's a horrible insight into the ridiculous prejudices and ignorance people with HIV/Hepatitis must have to deal with in life.

kraggy wrote: »
    It's idiotic, sensational and unreasonably loud stances like this that make dealing with the disease even more difficult.

As stated already, most people who are Hiv positive die WITH it, not because of it.

Stop stigmatising. Now.
    that post makes you sound like you're the kind of person to march up front at protests to the dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

whirlpool wrote: »
    I understand the fear of HIV, but at least do your research before you impose your dramatics and scare-mongering on others. Ridiculous.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This may end up being the most quoted post of all time.

btw, the op asked about kissing, not taking it up the ass from a random dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I recently learned of a friends uncle who has hepatitis, he is in a relationship with a woman hepatitis free and it made me wonder how she could do it. I have a mild case of OCD so there is no way I could do it.

btw Op, have you been diagnosed with OCD? Or are you just uptight?

You studied it in 'minute' detail? In what area? Virology? Biochemistry? Epidemeology? Because if you studied it as thoroughly as you say, I can't understand why your reaction is completely crazy and over the top. Unless you're just trying to live up to your username.

Its all the issues. I don't want it. Social, medical, whatever else. Being dramatic? Its mostly careless people who end up getting it. Won't be me. And like I said, god forbid if I did have it, I wouldn't be around long enough to care about medicines to prolong my life. You have it and nothing will ever get rid of it.

Careless people?

According to you, you can get it from swatting a mosquito or putting petrol in your car. People get mugged with needles carrying HIV. I heard of one story where a needle was purposely (I've no idea why) placed on a cinema seat and the person who sat on it contracted HIV. People can stand on a needle while walking along the beach barefoot. Doctors and nurses who are working with HIV positive patients can have accidents and become infected.

The disease is highly manageable, but attitudes like yours are what makes HIV positive life so scary. To think that if I caught it I'd have to live in fear of people like you finding out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Confab wrote: »

What. The. Actual. F[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck?

I'm now convinced you're a red top journalist. The opinions you come out with are uninformed to say the least. Does he have Hep A, B or C? Is it chronic or acute? Sweet Jesus, can you trying Googling this stuff? It'd save you a lot of embarrassment.

I don't know which or the severity to answer your questions. I don't believe I gave an opinion, I merely stated a collection of facts Confab.

Grayson wrote: »

btw Op, have you been diagnosed with OCD? Or are you just uptight?

I half to turn the light switch on and off a prime number of times each night before bed, and never fewer times than the previous nights light switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

keith16 wrote: »
    *puts on fonzy accent

Only if it's hepatitis Aaaaa!!!

This got a shocking lack of thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The was a burd in the pub the other night and I would have even if she had leprosy.

Im sure i read that there has never been a recorded case of someone catching HIV from a discarded needle (outside of a healthcare setting) something got to do with the virus been too fragile to live outside the human body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

HIV freaks me out to the point I done my thesis on it, researched it in minute detail, so as I wouldn't catch it.

Its an awful pity that during all this academic research that you failed to discover that HIV is a treatable disease now, no more a death sentence than diabetes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 supernature

In a word, yes. Anything further would need negotiating. Like with anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

FFS now I'm gonna have to pull my sleeve over my hand when I'm getting diesel!. Nice one dramaqueen!!!

Why in the name of god would you kill yourself when most people with HIV live a relatively normal life and have normal life expectancy etc?

I think you should have done a different thesis..

jessiejam wrote: »
    FFS now I'm gonna have to pull my sleeve over my hand when I'm getting diesel!. Nice one dramaqueen!!!

Why in the name of god would you kill yourself when most people with HIV live a relatively normal life and have normal life expectancy etc?

I think you should have done a different thesis..

I seriously hope this 'thesis' was compiled in secondary school, and not a reflection of third level education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I seriously hope this 'thesis' was compiled in secondary school, and not a reflection of third level education.
    I was thinking more preschool circa 1976!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

What the hell is with people? Drama queen onviously has an irrational fear of getting AIDs, what right does that give ye to attack her?!!

I wouldn't kiss someone with HIV.

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    What the hell is with people? Drama queen onviously has an irrational fear of getting AIDs, what right does that give ye to attack her?!!

Do you ask everybody to have a test prior to kissing them?

I don't go around kissing randomers so it's not an issue.

If you were single and about to start a relationship with someone would you ask them to have a test before your first kiss?

It can take 2 weeks for the results, so would you tell them to contact you when they had the results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

There's no risk in it if you're only kissing.

Think of it this way, how many people have you gotten off with on the weekend with hardly a name and a hello without knowing what they could have had? Chances are over the years, you could have already done it.

There's one for your OCD :pac:

• Advertisement

My friend was at a rave years ago and asked this guy for a drink of his water, he said no so she asked him again, he said no again, she though he was joking with her so she tried to grab the bottle from his hand, he got really angry and shouted at the top of his voice "LEAVE ME ALONE I HAVE HEPATITIS" she didn't ask him again.

You're being ridiculous, there is a big difference between kissing someone and kissing Someone who you know has HIV. The later has a greater risk by a factor of 10000 or thereabouts.

If you were single and about to start a relationship with someone would you ask them to have a test before your first kiss?

It can take 2 weeks for the results, so would you tell them to contact you when they had the results?

Yes, I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Its an awful pity that during all this academic research that you failed to discover that HIV is a treatable disease now, no more a death sentence than diabetes.

Not exactly a reason to take contracting it lightly.

I hate to say it but if I knew for sure someone had HIV I'd probably avoid kissing them. The risk is very small but it's still a risk and not kissing them is a trivial sacrifice for avoiding it.

You're being ridiculous, there is a big difference between kissing someone and kissing Someone who you know has HIV. The later has a greater risk by a factor of 10000 or thereabouts.
    I'm not being ridiculous, if you wouldn't kiss someone with HIV, then you shouldn't kiss someone when their status is unknown.

The original poster has responded that she (or he) would insist on a test prior to kissing someone.

Edit: Just saw they thanked the post saying I was ridiculous. Why thank it if they agreed that they would get the test?

Shopaholic01 - Reckless with her health as well as her money :D

• Advertisement

I thanked it in relation to the fact of risk being increased.

Shopaholic01 - Reckless with her health as well as her money :D
    Reckless with neither actually. I just don't scaremonger with half facts and inaccuracies, nor am I am paranoid.

Nor am I am paranoid.
    Are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The HIV virus can be found in saliva, but in such low concentrations that you would have to drink a bucket and a half of the stuff to have any sort of realistic chance of contracting it. So basically the risk is technically there, but it's practically non exsistant.

I would be spending my time on the look out for oral herpes instead of wasting it worrying about something that, in reality, would not happen.

Is that 1 in 10,000? Do you have a source for this figure?

The point still stands - if you wouldn't kiss someone you knew to have HIV, it stands to reason that you shouldn't kiss someone whose status is unknown. Not knowing someone has HIV does not reduce any risk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement