Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you kiss someone with HIV/hepatitis?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

1ZRed wrote: »
    You're being ridiculous, there is a big difference between kissing someone and kissing Someone who you know has HIV. The later has a greater risk by a factor of 10000 or thereabouts.

The HIV virus can be found in saliva, but in such low concentrations that you would have to drink a bucket and a half of the stuff to have any sort of realistic chance of contracting it. So basically the risk is technically there, but it's practically non exsistant.

I would be spending my time on the look out for oral herpes instead of wasting it worrying about something that, in reality, would not happen.

There's always the risk of blood passing through small cuts however unlikely that maybe, that risk would deter me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I would be spending my time on the look out for oral herpes instead of wasting it worrying about something that, in reality, would not happen.

I think the main/only risk is that both people have cuts so there is blood transmitted. Again, it's hugely unlikely but for me it's a question of risk vs reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Are you sure?
    Yes, I got petrol today and didn't cover my hand:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Fact: HIV is passed to other people swapping bodily fluid.
    Fact: HIV is something you will have until it develops into full blown AIDS.
    Fact: HIV is a serious illness.
    Fact: Nobody in their right mind would be happy to catch it because "ah sure isn't it only like diabetes", "nothing a few hundred pills won't control".

and
    Fact: We, taxpayers, are paying for the medication of people with HIV, like we are with everyone else that doesn't have to pay for their own. If people want to use dirty needles and have unprotected sex with infected people, that's there business. Contributing towards their healthcare should be enough without you expecting people to put themselves at risk because its not PC to say you don't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

There's always the risk of blood passing through small cuts however unlikely that maybe, that risk would deter me.

The risk is non exsistant. I would understand if you were very deterred by semen or other bodily fluids but this is an irrational fear based on little understand of how the STIs are realistically transmitted.

Yes, I got petrol today and didn't cover my hand:rolleyes:.
    Have you got a petrol pump at your house cause you seem to have been refreshing the crap out of this thread all day. (y)

The risk is non exsistant. I would understand if you were very deterred by semen or other bodily fluids but this is an irrational fear based on little understand of how the STIs are realistically transmitted.

what if you just had your tongue pierced?

Is that 1 in 10,000? Do you have a source for this figure?

The point still stands - if you wouldn't kiss someone you knew to have HIV, it stands to reason that you shouldn't kiss someone whose status is unknown. Not knowing someone has HIV does not reduce any risk.

It's a statistical point. If only 1 in 10000 people have HIV and the chance of contracting it from kissing is 1 in 10000 then the chances of both happening together is the product of the two, a much smaller risk.

Also, the sacrifice of passing the opportunity to kiss one person you know to have HIV is small but passing up the chance to kiss anyone you can't be sure about is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Need to find someone to kiss me first :mad::(

Have you got a petrol pump at your house cause you seem to have been refreshing the crap out of this thread all day. (y)

So you have to resort to being patronising when your posts are based on displaced facts and logic? She's speaking sense and has a better understanding of the processes involved than you do it seems.

• Advertisement

Fact: Nobody in their right mind would be happy to catch it because "ah sure isn't it only like diabetes", "nothing a few hundred pills won't control".

and
    Fact: We, taxpayers, are paying for the medication of people with HIV, like we are with everyone else that doesn't have to pay for their own. If people want to use dirty needles and have unprotected sex with infected people, that's there business. Contributing towards their healthcare should be enough without you expecting people to put themselves at risk because its not PC to say you don't want it.
    Fact: HIV is detectable in all body fluids, but is not transmitted through saliva.
    Fact: Treatment prevents HIV progressing to full blown AIDS.
    Fact: HIV is a life-long condition, the viral load is reduced dramatically with treatment and HIV is no longer considered to be life threatening.
    Fact: The only person who said that someone would willingly infect themselves was YOU. It was part of the research for your thesis.
    Fact: All medical conditions cost taxpayers money, including those brought on by lifestyle factors (poor diet, obesity, smoking etc. etc.). Would you prefer if we just euthanised all sick people.

So you have to resort to being patronising when your posts are based on displaced facts and logic? She's speaking sense and has a better understanding of the processes involved than you do it seems.

Hey, never said I was an expert. Merely claimed I have looked into this in detail. All Im saying is, i don't want it. And if that means not touching, not kissing, not having sex with someone who does have it, thats what i would do.

Just like you, with the exception that I know what I'm talking about. I didn't need to write a 'thesis' on it either.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Need to find someone to kiss me first :mad::(
    I would offer, but I got petrol today so I might have AIDS.

Hey, never said I was an expert. Merely claimed I have looked into this in detail. All Im saying is, i don't want it. And if that means not touching, not kissing, not having sex with someone who does have it, thats what i would do.

But how would you ever know? The majority of people who contract HIV are unaware they even have it because it can take between 3-6 months for symptoms to emerge.

This is the window period where the disease is most dangerous and the person may not even know they have HIV and a medical test might not even show it up.

But how would you ever know? Teh majority of people who contract HIV are unaware they even have it because it can take between 3-6 months for symptoms to emerge. This is the window period where the disease is most dangerous.

I don't kiss multiple random people, nor do i sleep with multiple random people.

I don't kiss multiple random people, nor do i sleep with multiple random people.
    A one at a time gal? Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It only takes one.

Hey, never said I was an expert. Merely claimed I have looked into this in detail. All Im saying is, i don't want it. And if that means not touching, not kissing, not having sex with someone who does have it, not touching petrol caps, thats what i would do.

FYP.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be waiting around for a test to show if I'm clean and worthy of you. I'd take that was psycho and irrational behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

LOL at the PC police.

xDramaxQueenx, I in no way consider myself PC however I do have a serious issue with your initial post. Well, more so than I have with your subsequent posts. In your first post you stated:
    Recently found out that an asian girl that was in my class with me since 1st year had hep. That freaks me out, even being near her.

I'm sorry, and I am in no way sensitive but what the hell does pointing out her ethnicity have anything to do with it? It's the same when later on you focused in on the gay sex party example. AIDS scare mongering and the unfair portrayal of homosexual people go hand in hand.. You could've just as easily said it was a sex party. I'm not sure if you know this, but shock horror! Straight people contract HIV too!

I'd have given you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you just felt it was a minor detail you subconsciously added in, but stuff like that just screams ignorance. Some overly sensitive people would argue that your saying that implies that there is some sort of a correlation being Asian and having a once-deadly but now manageable disease. The poor girl probably doesn't even notice she has it anymore, but I bet she'd feel pretty bad about herself if she were to learn you can't see past that and deem it an acceptable reason for you to avoid her. I genuinely cannot believe that you have done a thesis on this point, however minute detail you went into about HIV.

And by the way, posting single comments about Shopaholic that are completely irrelevant to the thread yet are only posted after she gives her counter-opinion to yours.. That just screams immaturity. I myself have no problem with your opinion, it does bother me the way you choose to express them, however.

Back to the topic at hand:
    I wouldn't be waiting around for a test to show if I'm clean and worthy of you. I'd take that was psycho and irrational behaviour.

Bang on. Personally, I do not subject people who I'm attracted to a screening process before I kiss them and nor would I comply if someone asked me. It's not the same as being in a relationship with someone and if their sexual history was unclear, then suggesting to go to a STI clinic just to make sure everything's alright. Imagine meeting someone and the moment's right, as just as you're both pulling in for a kiss you stop and go "Eh, have you got aids?" However, if I had known beforehand that a person had a contractible disease of any sort, I probably would not pursue any sort of sexual activity with them. It's not due to any social stigma and I'd continue to hang out with them if they were my friend - it's just I've had so many problems with my internal organs and such that I'm afraid to put my body under any more strain when I know it can be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

and

FACT: Its rare, even in AH, that a single post can be home to so much misinformation and ignorance.

Keep living up to that username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If someone told me that they had AIDS or were HIV positive then no, I wouldn't kiss them. I wouldn't even kiss someone that had a visible cold-sore. I'm really not getting why so many here see it as something of a taboo to say that you wouldn't knowingly kiss a person with AIDS. I don't care how small the odds of catching it are, it's a bet that I wouldn't be willing to make with myself.

Personal choice and all that =p

I'm really not getting why so many here see it as something of a taboo to say that you wouldn't knowingly kiss a person with AIDS.
    Actually the question was would you kiss someone with HIV. The big majority of people with HIV will never develop AIDS.

Giselle wrote: »
    FACT: Its rare, even in AH, that a single post can be home to so much misinformation and ignorance.

Keep living up to that username.

Oh Im sorry, which part of the quoted post was incorrect?

• Advertisement

Most of it, which has been pointed out to you numerous times.

and

Sorry, Let me correct myself. My knowledge on HIV has been rectified, as apparently the above information is wrong,
    • HIV is not passed through bodily fluids.
    • HIV is something that might go away.
    • HIV isn't all that serious afterall, who knew. :confused:
    • It's not all that big of a deal to catch HIV, don't worry. Its not like it will ruin your life.
    • Taxpayers DONT pick up the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Fact: HIV is something you will have until it develops into full blown AIDS, if left untreated

Salient enough omission on your part.

Sorry, Let me correct myself. My knowledge on HIV has been rectified, as apparently the above information is wrong,
    • HIV is not passed through bodily fluids
    Don't be an idiot and go directly to the other side of the argument. Saliva was the bodily fluid that was being discussed and in that context, it's pretty much accurate to say it's not passed on by kissing.

Don't be an idiot and go directly to the other side of the argument. Saliva was the bodily fluid that was being discussed and in that context, it's pretty much accurate to say it's not passed on by kissing.
    Oh no, Im not arguing that. Im merely correcting my offensive post for Giselle and denartha, since apparently the initial facts were all false.

• Advertisement

Oh no, Im not arguing that. Im merely correcting my offensive post for Giselle and denartha, since apparently the initial facts were all false.

It's still wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

people with hiv live a healthy life, i have a nephew that was born with hiv and he is 21 now and there is not a bother from him. medication has come a very long way since the outbreak of this sad disease and that's all it is a disease just like cancer and any other life trething illness.

i would have no problems kissing someone with hiv if they where my partner.

• HIV is not passed through bodily fluids.
    • HIV is something that might go away.
    • HIV isn't all that serious afterall, who knew. :confused:
    • It's not all that big of a deal to catch HIV, don't worry. Its not like it will ruin your life.
    • Taxpayers DONT pick up the tab.

HIV is passed through SEXUAL fluids in untreated persons. There is a THEORETICAL risk with saliva, but this is not an ACTUAL reality. There is a greater risk of being run over by an orange bus, as opposed to any other colour bus, on a thursday, in May.

HIV doesn't go away. It is sucessfully controlled through ARV meds, one pill a day. It reduces the viral load to UNDETECTABLE. This makes it almost impossible to pass the virus to a partner, even if you cover them in blood and spit in their eyes. Yes, really.

HIV is a big deal. So is high blood pressure, migraines, diabetes and many other problems. The difference is, with HIV and one tablet a day, your life will continue as normal. Your life expectancy is normal, your likelihood of developing AIDS is tiny with treatment. You can LIVE A NORMAL LIFE. The only thing that ruins lives is other peoples ignorance.

HIV treatment is funded by the taxpayer. A much greater proportion of public funds goes towards managing cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and alcoholism. I don't begrudge people with any of those illnesses treatment. Do you?

Have a read of the Swiss Statement and educate yourself.

http://www.aidsmap.com/page/1429357/

I also hope that your professional future does not rely on this 'thesis' you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm really curious what you "done" your "thesis" in? Surely it can't have been a proper course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I was a teenager in the 90s when hiv/aids were relatively new/talked about and were considered by many the same disease.
    I worked in London at the age of 17 with a group of ladies aged between 20 to 35 and one gay man. I was amazed to discover how bigoted these ladies were. If the man asked for a drink of their mineral or helped themselves to a portion of their lunch, as soon as he left the room they would throw away with covered hands what he had touched because they were afraid they might get aids, never mind that the man didn't even have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Er yes, because you can't catch either of those things from kissing.

I mean if they had a big filthy cut on their mouth I wouldn't, but ordinarily, yes.

Daisy M wrote: »
    I was a teenager in the 90s when hiv/aids were relatively new/talked about and were considered by many the same disease.
    I worked in London at the age of 17 with a group of ladies aged between 20 to 35 and one gay man. I was amazed to discover how bigoted these ladies were. If the man asked for a drink of their mineral or helped themselves to a portion of their lunch, as soon as he left the room they would throw away with covered hands what he had touched because they were afraid they might get aids, never mind that the man didn't even have it.

Its really depressing how little some peoples attitudes have progressed in that time.

Who'd have thought with all the advances in treatment in the intervening 20 years, that people would still be so paranoid about catching a disease through casual contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If I was in a relationship with someone and they discovered they had it, it wouldn't in itself be a reason for me to end the relationship, so yeah, I'd keep kissing them (obviously, we'd have to be extremely careful about using contraception during sex, but that's another matter.)

If it was a random guy I fancied, and I somehow found out he had HIV (which seems quite unlikely.) Honestly, probably not. Not because I'd have any real fear of catching it through kissing - but because I would be cautious of getting into a relationship with someone where there are likely to be quite a few health issues, possible problems with sex/contraception, possible problems with having kids down the line, etc ... I know it's a lot to be thinking of for the sake of one kiss, but I'm not really one to kiss random people unless I think it might go somewhere. So I don't really see the point when there would be complications like that from the start of the relationship. It may be selfish, but I prefer to keep things simple, where possible. :o I guess whether I would still kiss them/get involved with them would probably depend on how much I liked the person.

I haven't ever asked a person before kissing them whether they are HIV positive!
    If you were single and about to start a relationship with someone would you ask them to have a test before your first kiss?

It can take 2 weeks for the results, so would you tell them to contact you when they had the results?
    Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Yes, I would.

But the virus doesn't even show up in tests for 3-6 months.

So, imagine you're single and you've met a guy you like. Before you even have your first kiss, to be on the safe side you'd both first have to wait six months (without kissing anyone else, obviously!), then both go for the tests (which will set ye back a bit, I'm guessing close to €100 each?), then wait another two weeks for the results, and then finally have your first kiss to celebrate? Really ...?

Life's too short for all that, in my opinion. :o I sure as hell don't want to get HIV - or any other diseases that I can avoid. So I would never go kissing anyone if I had open sores in or around my mouth (ewww), not even in a relationship. And obviously if I noticed any cuts or sores on a guy, I wouldn't kiss him. Which pretty much eliminates the risk of me catching it through kissing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Its really depressing how little some peoples attitudes have progressed in that time.

Who'd have thought with all the advances in treatment in the intervening 20 years, that people would still be so paranoid about catching a disease through casual contact.

Ya I am very suprised by this thread, its quiet depressing.

I vaguely remember watching a documentary last year discussing how education on hiv/aids had not progressed since the 90s.

Heres one for you dramaqueen, he recently visited Swaziland where over 60% of the population have hiv/aids, do you think I should run for the hills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

people with hiv live a healthy life, i have a nephew that was born with hiv and he is 21 now and there is not a bother from him. medication has come a very long way since the outbreak of this sad disease and that's all it isa disease just like cancer and any other life trething illness.

i would have no problems kissing someone with hiv if they where my partner.

I personally wouldn't be so blasé about it, and certainly and far as i know you cannot contract cancer from another person.

As for HIV being a life threatening illness? No- it's not, it's what you might be susceptible to after you contract HIV that kills you, not HIV itself. I'm open to correction on it but I think pneumonia is a common killer of HIV+ sufferers.

Would I kiss someone knowing they were HIV+? Unquestionably the answer would have to be no! I kiss random people all the time, but if I was made aware that they were HIV+ beforehand, then no, I wouldn't kiss them. "Prevention is better than cure" as they say, but I have been known to engage in risky behaviour and then regret it afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is it not much the same as people being paranoid about second hand smoke because they might get cancer, or eating sugary foods because they're afraid of developing diabetes?

Such eejits... who; in this day and age would give up indulging themselves in certain things in order to lower their risk of developing specific diseases?! =p

I personally wouldn't be so blasé about it, and certainly and far as i know you cannot contract cancer from another person.

As for HIV being a life threatening illness? No- it's not, it's what you might be susceptible to after you contract HIV that kills you, not HIV itself. I'm open to correction on it but I think pneumonia is a common killer of HIV+ sufferers.

Would I kiss someone knowing they were HIV+? Unquestionably the answer would have to be no! I kiss random people all the time, but if I was made aware that they were HIV+ beforehand, then no, I wouldn't kiss them. "Prevention is better than cure" as they say, but I have been known to engage in risky behaviour and then regret it afterwards.

I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You wouldn't touch someone with HIV??? Wow just wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CE8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.health.ny.gov%2Fdiseases%2Faids%2Ffacts%2Fquestions%2Fdocs%2F100questions.pdf&ei=lJdDUKyzKIW5hAeVloD4Bw&usg=AFQjCNGcKWVyZ-ejqs9KiQ3mxPWtLGlyOA&sig2=JWf_KYHT2h94BO0P5nAzQg

This is a good read,

where I work provides services for people with HEP C and HIV.

I'm speechless with some of these posts.I've attended lectures and written a number of assignments on both HIV and the variants of Hep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

mattjack wrote: »
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CE8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.health.ny.gov%2Fdiseases%2Faids%2Ffacts%2Fquestions%2Fdocs%2F100questions.pdf&ei=lJdDUKyzKIW5hAeVloD4Bw&usg=AFQjCNGcKWVyZ-ejqs9KiQ3mxPWtLGlyOA&sig2=JWf_KYHT2h94BO0P5nAzQg

This is a good read,

where I work provides services for people with HEP C and HIV.

I'm speechless with some of these posts.I've attended lectures and written a number of assignments on both HIV and the variants of Hep.

But no thesis...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

gpf101 wrote: »
    I'm really curious what you "done" your "thesis" in?
    Me too- I imagine a thesis on HIV-AIDS would be a fairly hefty workload.

The discovery of the virus/the gay population/people's reactions when straight people(!!) began to contract the disease/the various treatments throughout the years/the treatment of children with the disease/babies born with HIV.
    Then there's the stigma of the illness from the 1980's to present day- the 'Good AIDS' 'Bad AIDS' opinion, where many people are sympathetic to those who contracted HIV 'by accident' such as a blood transfusion but not to someone who contracted it by unprotected sex or drug use. Compensation and repercussions for people with conditions such as hemophilia who contracted HIV from infected blood and how such cases lead to more thorough blood screening procedures.

Not to mention the third world aspect- the shocking percentage of Africans with the disease/how it's spread/the lack of hospital facilities and drugs/the life expectancy of someone in the third world with HIV compared to someone in the USA for example..

Then there would be the pharmaceutical elements- development of treatments/possible vaccinations and trying to prevent HIV becoming AIDS.

I assume a thesis may mention high profile people who have died from AIDS, such as Freddie Mercury and Kenny Everett and high profile people living with HIV, such as Magic Johnson. AIDS in the media- the film 'Philadelphia' to the first character on a British soap with HIV. TV advertising campaigns in the 1980's and 1990's to make people aware of the disease.

And I assume a thesis on AIDS and HIV would need a few case studies on living with HIV and interviews with people who's children/partners/loved ones have the illness.

I don't know a huge amount about the disease, but this is what I would imagine a thesis on the subject would be like anyway- fair play to anyone who chooses a thesis on such a topic- it seems to me like it would be a pretty major undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I remember when this ad first came out, I still think it is the most terrifying ad ever shown. I remember thinking Jaysus did I catch it have I got it already. People back then hadn't a clue about it and we really thought we were into a new black death scenario and by reading this thread some people still haven't a clue about it.

But I do have to say, in sub Saharan Africa AIDs is a black death scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I done my thesis on it.
    This sentence proves how broken the Irish education system is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

efb wrote: »
    But no thesis...

Nope, no thesis.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

why on earth would you kiss someone with these conditions if you knew beforehand ? i have a lot of sympathy for someone who contracted hiv from a transfusion or something similar, or kid born with it. But from dirty needles or unprotected sex.not so much.very little goodwill towards a lad on hols in spain who gets a std,why should this be so different

Advertisement