Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pics from the River Poddle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Ehm..

(Had posted link to Indo, didn't realise Broadsheet link was the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Is was expecting to see pics of floaters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is it the lottery clock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Cool! Anyone into stuff like this should check out St. Michans Church on Church St., Dublin 7. Real underground mummies, a memorable way to spend 4euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's really cool, I love all that urban exploration stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So that's what these lads were up to?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80066416

Nice pics guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

John Creedon was in there on his cities series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

You should get "the rivers of dublin" by clair sweeney. Shows all the drawings for the whole of the underground rivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

zef wrote: »
    Cool! Anyone into stuff like this should check out St. Michans Church on Church St., Dublin 7. Real underground mummies, a memorable way to spend 4euro.
    That looks so cool! I've never even heard of that place before, thanks for posting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have been down St Michans Vaults many times over the years. They are a real must for anybody with an interest in dusty old mummies! There are two vaults open to the public, with a selection of mummies, some of whome have been down there for eight hundred years. The "Crusader" is the most notable of all the mummies in the vaults, the Shears brothers (1798 rebellion) are also down there. On a side note, there is an organ keyboard in the Church reportedly played by Handle on his visit to Dublin in 1742 when he played the Messiah in Fishamble Street (music lovers take note). St Michans Church was founded by the Vikings in 1095.

PS; St Michans Church (C of I) is pronounced Saint MikeAnns.

Re the river Poddle; Anyone who knows St Patrick's Cathedral will be interested in this. The river poddle actually runs underneath the aisle of the Cathedral, right down the centre, and apparently once many decades ago the poddle became so swollen during heavy rains that it burst up into the Cathedral the whole length of the aisle! Now that would have been a sight.

If you are visiting the Cathedral may I recommend Marsh's library (Gullivers travels-Dean Swift) which is adjacent to the Cathedral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Brilliant photos. I don't like number 5 though, that kinda creeps me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

You should get "the rivers of dublin" by clair sweeney. Shows all the drawings for the whole of the underground rivers.

if u could find a copy for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

There was a recent tv programme on RTE about different cities in Ireland, I think it was called Creedon's cities or something, but they had the presenter and a cameraman walk along the route underground from Dame St. to the exit of the Poddle. It looked great, a hidden gem.

He also went inside the crypt of St. Michans, and was told about the mummified remains they showed on camera.

Even more surprising, is that RTE managed to show something really interesting for once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have been down St Michans Vaults many times over the years. They are a real must for anybody with an interest in dusty old mummies! There are two vaults open to the public, with a selection of mummies, some of whome have been down there for eight hundred years. The "Crusader" is the most notable of all the mummies in the vaults, the Shears brothers (1798 rebellion) are also down there. On a side note, there is an organ keyboard in the Church reportedly played by Handle on his visit to Dublin in 1742 when he played the Messiah in Fishamble Street (music lovers take note). St Michans Church was founded by the Vikings in 1095.

PS; St Michans Church (C of I) is pronounced Saint MikeAnns.

I heard of the St Michans Vaults a few years ago when I think it was on the news and got broken into if I remember correctly. I must try and make time to visit next time I'm in Dublin sounds interesting.

Great photos of the underground river also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I remember my Grandad brought me there when I was a kid. It's seriously cool stuff. I was fascinated.
    I must actually take a trip there again some day soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I heard of the St Michans Vaults a few years ago when I think it was on the news and got broken into if I remember correctly. I must try and make time to visit next time I'm in Dublin sounds interesting.

Thankfully most of the damage was done to one of the vaults never opened to the public, even still, why anyone would want to break into a church vault several hundred years old and burn the mummies is beyond me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Michan%27s_Church

Thankfully most of the damage was done to one of the vaults never opened to the public, even still, why anyone would want to break into a church vault several hundred years old and burn the mummies is beyond me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Michan%27s_Church

I bet it was that Brendan Frasier again, no respect for heritage!

Brendan Frasier, who's that?

Brendan Frasier, who's that?

This Guy

• Advertisement
Advertisement