Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield Tower

Options
  • 02-09-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with Smithfield Tower? I remember it used to be open to the public, was there a bar up there or something? Why was it closed and who ran it when it was open? Seems a real waste, I never climbed it but I imagine it has great views.

Actually what was its original use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I did not know it was closed .Thats a real shame .I remember going up it years go shortly after it first open around the year 2000 ,i think ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was a chimney.
    I suppose like everything in Smithfield it suffered from the lack of promised development.

The Children's Court doesn't help things up there either.

Thinking out loud - I never understood why they didn't put in a permanent high quality market (a la The English market in Cork or Granville Island Market in Vancouver) in Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The Generator hostel was supposed to put it back in service as a condition of it's planning permission. Not that DCC ever bother to enforce these things.

Advertisement