Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight Watchers,what's it like?

• 02-09-2012 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Thinking of attending over the next week or two. I'm wondering what format it follows,what to expect? would it be helpful?.

I'm extremely fit but incredibly a stone,stone and a half overweight due to probably partialy comfort eating,and drinking. Weight loss hasn't worked,not be more than a few lbs on my own.

So what are the meeting like?.

Danke

F

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

they're fairly good, sound enuf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Freiheit wrote: »
    Thinking of attending over the next week or two. I'm wondering what format it follows,what to expect? would it be helpful?.

I'm extremely fit but incredibly a stone,stone and a half overweight due to probably partialy comfort eating,and drinking. Weight loss hasn't worked,not be more than a few lbs on my own.

So what are the meeting like?.

Danke

F

WW is a very structured and easy to follow eating plan. I lost 6 stone on the plan and have kept if off to within a stone.

It's useful because it provides structure to your eating and makes you more aware of portion size and how much you should be eating.

Basically you are given an allowance of points to eat. Given the stats you've given me I'd say you are between 26-29 depending on your height.

Each food you eat is given an amount of points. This is calculated based on the amount of carbs, protein, fats and fibre in the food. They give you a book of common food points and then a calculator to help you work out foods from packets.

The calculating is the hardest part for the first week or two but you get really used to it then.

Fruit and vegetables are "free", however, from experience you need to use common sense with this as they still contain calories. Some contain a LOT like bananas. So don't go piling your plate high with mountains of veg, eat until satisfied. Be even more careful with fruit as it is higher in cals soon. Again, it's common sense.

You get a 49 point weekly allowance extra on top of your daily allowance. Now this is the only tricky part. These points are supposed to be for extra bits you can't fit in your points; like going out for drinks at the weekend. But it depends on the person. Some people can eat the whole 49 and still lose, some people can eat half, some people can only use a few. So just watch them! :)

Lastly, the meetings are great 90% of the time once you've a good leader. They give you tips on what foods are low, what things are good value for points and tips for improving your lifestyle in general to make it more healthy.

The fact you're being weighed in each week also makes you more responsible for your weight loss. It's easier to stay on track when you know you have to face someone at the end of the week.

Just some start up tips!

1. TRACK! Write down every single bite you eat. Because you have so little to lose you will need to be very fussy with your points.
    2. Be careful when you eat 2/double of something. One slice of toast could be one point, two slices of toast could be 3. This is because the points values are rounded.
    3. Don't spend your points all on junk. You have your daily points allowance but that doesn't mean you can spend all 26 points on cereal bars and crisps and still lose. I learned this the hard way :rolleyes:
    4. Introduce exercise. It will help you overcome any plateaus you may come across.
    5. Enjoy your food! WW gives you a lot of freedom. You can still have your drinks and takeaway once you account for them and incorporate them into a generally healthy lifestyle!

Best of luck! WW has served me very well, but it's all about how you work the plan. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

That's got to be the best sumation of ww i've seen...good sound advice.and like anything op , if you follow the program the program will work;) Lost 4.5 stone on it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Or you could not waste your money on being weighed and have a leader tell you stuff you probably already know, which is probably misguided anyway.
    It's as simple as eating real food, meat, fish, veg, fruit, nuts, maybe some dairy. Stay away from anything with wheat or anything that claims to be healthy(normally it's not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Orla K wrote: »
    Or you could not waste your money on being weighed and have a leader tell you stuff you probably already know, which is probably misguided anyway.
    It's as simple as eating real food, meat, fish, veg, fruit, nuts, maybe some dairy. Stay away from anything with wheat or anything that claims to be healthy(normally it's not)

You're assuming this person already knows this stuff and you're assuming that the information received is misguided. And for someone who maybe hasn't had a really healthy lifestyle, it isn't all that "simple".

I know people like to bash WW but it works and if you have a decent head on your shoulders it can be a very healthy lifestyle. You just have to work the programme properly.
    I educated myself in CONJUNCTION with weightwatchers to get a healthier diet and they definitely gave me a good head start on the nutrition side of things.

Sure you can just live off pink and whites but NOBODY in weightwatchers admin recommends that. Far from it.

Anyway, not bashing your way of life, horses for courses and all that.
    Was definitely the best 520euro I spent, going to those classes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi thanks all,how much does it cost per class? E520 sounds excessive.

I just feel that some guidance and the routine of a class might motivate me....I don't really know what portion sizes are right,don't fully understand how various foods and exercises translates into calories. Maybe I could do research on-line and learn a lot,thanks drwhogirl,but again structure might motivate me. I would not be willing to invest a great deal of money though as my weight problem is not severe,I just need knowledge and a programme,to loose at least 1.5,maybe 2 stone and keep within that range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi Freiheit

weightwatchers are good for all the reasons listed above.
    ive lost weight before now 7yrs 2kids later Ive about 4stone to lose.
    Simply because of nearest class to me I m going to unislim

Normally its approx 20euro to join and the a tenner a week for weigh in and class/Class is optional but believe me it really focuses the mind and its unreal what tips you will pick up.
    Normally at start of class evryone is weighed, once weighed you are free to go but staying to class does help. Some people arrive late and get weighed after. Ive found both very accomadating to people s schedule.

Ive never lost weigt without a weekly weigh in.

If what you need is education about portion sizes, what foods to eat and what foods to avoid then weightwatchers (or unislim) is definately for you.

Look at it this way its 17wks to end of year. If you lost a minimum of 1pound a week the you would be down over a stone by xmas. Lose 2pound a week then you have over reached your target.

When you join ww or unislim you nominate a target weight. Once you reach this you can attend classes for free once you maintain target weight plus or minus5pounds

So for basic education re portion sizes etc I really recommned it

I could write a diet book on what foods to avoid etc but putting it into practise is another thing entirely:D a class motivates me to put these things into practise

Best of luck

You're assuming this person already knows this stuff and you're assuming that the information received is misguided. And for someone who maybe hasn't had a really healthy lifestyle, it isn't all that "simple".

I know people like to bash WW but it works and if you have a decent head on your shoulders it can be a very healthy lifestyle. You just have to work the programme properly.
    I educated myself in CONJUNCTION with weightwatchers to get a healthier diet and they definitely gave me a good head start on the nutrition side of things.

Sure you can just live off pink and whites but NOBODY in weightwatchers admin recommends that. Far from it.

Anyway, not bashing your way of life, horses for courses and all that.
    Was definitely the best 520euro I spent, going to those classes.

They can read the stickies here for free, OP I really suggest you read the stickies both here and in health and fitness. Also weightwatchers is completely misguided since it shuns fats which are healthy and also shuns foods which they deem unhealthy and encourages foods which they deem are healthy(and aren't) *by shun I mean high points

It's not a love of bashing weight watchers that lead to my post it's that I hate seeing something which would cause severe depression in some people being praised.

In short it shuns fats which you need in order to have a healthy lifestyle, so I really don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

They can read the stickies here for free, OP I really suggest you read the stickies both here and in health and fitness. Also weightwatchers is completely misguided since it shuns fats which are healthy and also shuns foods which they deem unhealthy and encourages foods which they deem are healthy(and aren't) *by shun I mean high points

It's not a love of bashing weight watchers that lead to my post it's that I hate seeing something which would cause severe depression in some people being praised.

In short it shuns fats which you need in order to have a healthy lifestyle, so I really don't agree with it.

Yawn

So how often have you been lately? hmm? How come you know so much about what it recommends? As far as i know it's not healthy to be overweight and anyone dieting is going to cut down on fat. Don't think anyone's collapsed with it yet! Presumably people with depression aren't looking for advice on that from weight watchers but are under the care of a good doctor.

Personally lost weight on the old system - 4.5 stone or so, am back up a stone after 2 kids and doing it again. After struggling to do it alone for the past 6m, I've lost 5lb in 4w on ww. Result! Still using olive oil by the way and half fat regular butter. Ate some nuts too... yum :D

ellee wrote: »
    Yawn

So how often have you been lately? hmm? How come you know so much about what it recommends? As far as i know it's not healthy to be overweight and anyone dieting is going to cut down on fat. Don't think anyone's collapsed with it yet! Presumably people with depression aren't looking for advice on that from weight watchers but are under the care of a good doctor.

Personally lost weight on the old system - 4.5 stone or so, am back up a stone after 2 kids and doing it again. After struggling to do it alone for the past 6m, I've lost 5lb in 4w on ww. Result! Still using olive oil by the way and half fat regular butter. Ate some nuts too... yum :D

I don't need to go to meetings to understand recommendations. And yes it is unhealthy to be overweight but being a normal weight doesn't mean your healthy either. Not everyone dieting cuts down on fat.

With regards to the depression aspect, I very much doubt that you would hear about anyone's worsening medical conditions more so with depression. There are about 300,000 people in Ireland with this currently, if you count in the ones that have had it the number's higher, now with depression weight can be an issue, people can comfort eat and even if they eat normally all your energy get taken away so the calories you use up dwindle which will lead to a gain. So then this person, who is still in denial about the depression thinks 'I was happy when I was X weight, if I get back down to that weight I'll start to feel like myself again' so maybe they end up going weight watchers and what do you know they're on a crash course where they're going to make there depression much worse.

It's good that your still using olive oil as long as it's not the chemical spray crap and normal olive oil doesn't take to heat well. The half fat butter has all kinds of crap in there
    Cream, butteroil, salt, emulsifiers, mon0- and di-glycerides of fatty acids,
    polyglycerol, polyricinoleate, stabiliser, sodium alginate, preservative: potassium
    sorbate, colour: betacarotene, vitamins A and D
    That stuff is going to screw with your hormones and do all kinds of stuff to your body, there's nothing wrong with real butter. Just because you get a bit of fats in your diet doesn't mean that your eating healthy.

Nothing said here has convinced me that the weight watchers diet is a good one. It's pricey and unhealthy but hey if it gets you thin:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't need to go to meetings to understand recommendations. And yes it is unhealthy to be overweight but being a normal weight doesn't mean your healthy either. Not everyone dieting cuts down on fat.

With regards to the depression aspect, I very much doubt that you would hear about anyone's worsening medical conditions more so with depression. There are about 300,000 people in Ireland with this currently, if you count in the ones that have had it the number's higher, now with depression weight can be an issue, people can comfort eat and even if they eat normally all your energy get taken away so the calories you use up dwindle which will lead to a gain. So then this person, who is still in denial about the depression thinks 'I was happy when I was X weight, if I get back down to that weight I'll start to feel like myself again' so maybe they end up going weight watchers and what do you know they're on a crash course where they're going to make there depression much worse.

It's good that your still using olive oil as long as it's not the chemical spray crap and normal olive oil doesn't take to heat well. The half fat butter has all kinds of crap in there That stuff is going to screw with your hormones and do all kinds of stuff to your body, there's nothing wrong with real butter. Just because you get a bit of fats in your diet doesn't mean that your eating healthy.

Nothing said here has convinced me that the weight watchers diet is a good one. It's pricey and unhealthy but hey if it gets you thin:rolleyes:

Hey if you don't need it, great. If you're thin with simple healthy eating and no extra structure, that's fantastic and I wish I was like that too. But not everyone is. And I do think if you haven't gone to the meetings you don't know what you're talking about. You've a massive over-reaction to what is a DIET. Nothing more, nothing less. There's tons of crap in food we eat every day but guess what, not everyone can afford to buy organic either. People who are over weight are no doubt often munching on some chocolate and crisps, all sorts of prcessed meats and meals, takeaways etc etc. Is all of that better for you than swapping it for a spray oil or half fat butter? :rolleyes:

Leave the DIETING to weight watchers and the doctoring to your GP.

Hey if you don't need it, great. If you're thin with simple healthy eating and no extra structure, that's fantastic and I wish I was like that too. But not everyone is. And I do think if you haven't gone to the meetings you don't know what you're talking about. You've a massive over-reaction to what is a DIET. Nothing more, nothing less. There's tons of crap in food we eat every day but guess what, not everyone can afford to buy organic either. People who are over weight are no doubt often munching on some chocolate and crisps, all sorts of prcessed meats and meals, takeaways etc etc. Is all of that better for you than swapping it for a spray oil or half fat butter? :rolleyes:

Leave the DIETING to weight watchers and the doctoring to your GP.

Just to get a few things right, I'm not thin, I eat healthy, I avoid some foods and try to eat things that I know will benefit me. I do not concintrate on the scales, I focus on my health, blood tests, digestion, skin, hair and how I feel. I've lost weight and that's good but I care more about the other stuff.

With the going/not going to meetings, I think it's foolish to only listen to people who recently have gone or currently go your getting rid of a load of valid opinions, just because they're negative opinions doesn't mean they are not valid.

I also started out saying this
    The over reactions to defend weight watchers from two sentences is more interesting.

I also don't eat organic because I'm not working and I don't have a huge food budget, I just eat real food. It's not difficult and it's not complicated, it also fills you up more than processed food, take-aways, spray oil and half fat butter. Eating real food doesn't screw with your hormones makes you feel better look healthier and will help you lose weight. If people want more structure then a personal trainer is the way to go, there's at least two good ones here on boards who will help you with both exercise and diet. It'll work out cheaper and you'll be healthier and look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I've no experience of WW myself, but from working with countless people that do go, and friends outside of work that have gone, I know enough to say the following:

Why give money to a multinational corporation that is ill-informed about nutrition, so that you'll lose weight as long as you follow their unhealthy eating recommendations?

Why not instead, educate yourself for free using the internet, and in particular the stickies and the contributions of the regular posters around here?

Hi all,thanks for feedback.

I think I'll try to educate myself,my problem while significant is not severe. I'm about a stone and a half overweight,I've been told that by my doctor. I'll aim as suggested for a 1lb (at least) loss per week until christmas and see where I am then.

I've a great record of exercise but am prone to treats,such as chocolate,red wine and chips (when eating out),portions are probably a little too big.

I eat brown bread is that ok? and have banannas more calories than I thought? is there low fat chocolate substitutes?....I've read some of the stickies but can anyone recommend low fat fruits? kiwis dit I read? and dates?.

1lb per week is modest so hopefuly I can manage it and more importantly sustain it. I've lost 3 stone twice through intense levels of exercise but I suffered injury and bad habits gradualy set in again. I don't want to have to loose weight again.

Hi all,thanks for feedback.

I think I'll try to educate myself,my problem while significant is not severe. I'm about a stone and a half overweight,I've been told that by my doctor. I'll aim as suggested for a 1lb (at least) loss per week until christmas and see where I am then.

I've a great record of exercise but am prone to treats,such as chocolate,red wine and chips (when eating out),portions are probably a little too big.

I eat brown bread is that ok? and have banannas more calories than I thought? is there low fat chocolate substitutes?....I've read some of the stickies but can anyone recommend low fat fruits? kiwis dit I read? and dates?.

1lb per week is modest so hopefuly I can manage it and more importantly sustain it. I've lost 3 stone twice through intense levels of exercise but I suffered injury and bad habits gradualy set in again. I don't want to have to loose weight again.

I think you already know your problems, treats and too big portions. That's a good start.

I would stay clear of anything that has wheat in it, there's gliadin in wheat which has opioid effects, not the high but the addiction. It can cause you to eat more food than you would if you didn't have wheat. Bananas have about 110cals(I'm not sure) cacao(unprocessed chocolate) is a naturally high fat substance, it would be a bad idea to go for low fat chocolate, since it would just be filled with sugar and probably the same amount of calories. Go for chocolate with a higher cacao % do it gradually because it can taste quite dry if you go from milk(35%) to an 85%/90% bar.
    Fat is not the problem in food, the problem with food is eating to much of it and that's very easy to do while eating processed food, I'm sure this line is somewhere in the stickies "don't eat anything with more than 3-5 ingredients"

You can always post up an example of a days intake(along with your stats) and people will give advice on where you could be going wrong.

Thanks Orla,ok for starters then how healthy is tomato sauce? I intend to have a turkey sandwich for tea,made from non sliced brown pan,lettuce,onion and copious tomato sauce. In theory tomatoe sauce should be healthy but I suppose it depends on how well processed it is?1 mile run and 1 walked so far.

Tomatoes are a bit of an oddity where the more processed they are the more you get out if them. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with it but I only like it on chips or in a shepards pie, there's plenty of people here who would say a normal amount is fine.

I'd be more concerned with the reconstituted turkey(processed meat) and the bread, if it's pre sliced or not it's all the same, wheat is not healthy.

Ok thanks, so does that rule out all bread then? the turkey is from the deli in tesco,not prepacked. I use a lot of brown bread. And pasta? is that the same? Eat no red meat,use only fowl and fish.

Ok thanks, so does that rule out all bread then? the turkey is from the deli in tesco,not prepacked. I use a lot of brown bread. And pasta? is that the same? Eat no red meat,use only fowl and fish.

It's anything with wheat in it. Have a look at this it'll explain what's unhealthy about all wheat products.

I'd be wary of the deli turkey, there's an iodine test where you put a drop of iodine in it and if it turns black it's processed as iodine turns black when it come into contact with starch. But that's a lot of effort for a sandwich. Someone else might know better but I think the deli meat, which they slice up are pretty much the same as the pre-packed ones.

Fowl and fish are both good, fish is probably the best thing you can eat as long as it's not covered in breadcrumbs or batter.
    Is there a particular reason why you don't eat red meat? It's a healthy thing to eat, including the fat.

Thanks Orla,the fish I eat usually is in bread crumbs!:):):):)

I'll read the link on wheat.

It's a conscience thing with red meat,I find the sight of red meat revolting in it's raw form,the sight and the smell,I also don't like the idea of eating a pig or a cow or a lamb. Why not eat a dog? pigs are apparently more intelligent and just as loyal. (not trying to change anyone,it's just how I feel) I really can't bring myself to eat any of their meat,toyed with the idea of vegetarianism in it's entirety,but I don't I'd be able to get sufficent nutrients from non meat products alone.

• Advertisement

How do cabbage,onions and carrots rank in calories? and are mushrooms calorie free?I used to assume that I could eat as much veg as I wanted,but I can't can I?. Was also surprised at the calorie count on Knorr tomato soup,97 I think for a tomato quick soup. Also would there be any advantage in getting skimmed milk for tea as opposed to low fat?.

Diet starts today.

How do cabbage,onions and carrots rank in calories? and are mushrooms calorie free?I used to assume that I could eat as much veg as I wanted,but I can't can I?. Was also surprised at the calorie count on Knorr tomato soup,97 I think for a tomato quick soup. Also would there be any advantage in getting skimmed milk for tea as opposed to low fat?.

Diet starts today.

Very few things you put in your mouth will be calorie free, at this point don't worry about calories and just eat better food.

Read the stickies and follow the advice already given, to eat actual food(ingredients) not something made in a factory(has ingredients)

I personally don't get the ww bashing. Who says it is telling you to eat poorly? That is certainly not my experience at meetings. It is telling you about portion sizes, it is telling you how to cut down on fats, it is giving you tips on organsing your life so you ahve less temptation, it helps you address those tempting situations such as eating out, it helps you work out how you can still have your treats, it encourages you to take up some exercise. Wow. Not rocket science but all very sensible. You know you're weighing in, you get a boost when you're down and encouragement when you're up.

Why on earth is it foolish to listen to people who have recently gone to meetings? They are surely best placed to tell you what is going on currently? I'd say it is foolish to listen to people who've never gone at all!

I am glad you try to eat healthy Orla. I think most people try to, ww or not.

Going to meetings may be a waste of money for some people but it is not a waste of money for everyone if the support helps them keep going and they come away with a better understanding of how to manage their food so as to manage their weight.

There are a lot of contradictory messages and diet on the internet and self education is hard. We all know calorie counting alone does not work. You need a balance and you need sustainability in your diet. There is no point dropping piles of stuff you love just to lose weight. You must learn to rebalance what you eat in way you will be able to do for good if you have any hope of keeping it off.

The same goes for engaging in piles of intense exercise Freiheit. No point unless you can keep it up. You'd be better of working in a walk to work or something that you can do easily and incorporate easily into your day.

Your changes need to be sustainable and just become "the way you eat". That is the approach I take. I look hard at what I think I can change, and decide what I can live with. Cheese is a huge weakness for me for example. I haven't cut it out, I use low fat for everyday and still eat the yummy stiltons etc from time to time.

The pp helps me to structure what I am eating. That is the main benefit for me. It forces me to consider what I've eaten all day or what I want to eat later or whether I'm going out on Friday and need to be strict during the week.

To be honest, you've a similar amount to me to lose Freiheit. I've lost 10lb in 5w. I find the pp much easier than the old plan, mainly because fruit is free. They also seem to have rebalanced the points of various items, meat is lower, bread is higher so the it is easier to be satisfied.

Good luck anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

It's anything with wheat in it. Have a look at this it'll explain what's unhealthy about all wheat products.

I'd be wary of the deli turkey, there's an iodine test where you put a drop of iodine in it and if it turns black it's processed as iodine turns black when it come into contact with starch. But that's a lot of effort for a sandwich. Someone else might know better but I think the deli meat, which they slice up are pretty much the same as the pre-packed ones.

Fowl and fish are both good, fish is probably the best thing you can eat as long as it's not covered in breadcrumbs or batter.
    Is there a particular reason why you don't eat red meat? It's a healthy thing to eat, including the fat.
    Thanks for the wheat link. I've been following SW as a guideline (but I still eat meat fat sometimes and cook with sesame or coconut oil for stir fry) but I know this week that days I have had bread I have eaten more out of impulse than want.
    Off to watch all the link you sent and then find the book. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

it is telling you how to cut down on fats,

IMO this is whats wrong with WW. It's recommends it's low fat -sugar laden treats. Fat is the enemy from what I remember from my few WW meetings. WW is a huge corporation whose bottom line is to make money.
    Yo-yo dieters keep them in business.

Read the stickies, cut out wheat, sugar and as much processed food as you possibly can - and that information costs nada! You don't need someone to tell you how much you weigh every week - concentrate on your clothes size and how good you feel, that's what is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Personally WW never worked for me, I found I was abusing my points ie using them for treats and having to find really low points dinners and lunches. I never lasted longer than a month each time because I found it was just too restrictive for eating out etc. But there were men and women in my group who did brilliantly out of it.

I suppose some people do better in the class environment than others, I only lost about half a stone on it before going back to old ways.

It did however teach me a lot about nutrition that I hadn't known before in a very user friendly way and I have been able to use that knowledge post WW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Diet starts today.

No, healthier lifestyle starts today not a diet. Why don’t you track your intake and exercise online using a site such as myfitnesspal.com. You will then be able to see what exactly you are putting into your body. It is a free and easy way of getting a hold on what exactly you are consuming daily.

Make your own soup don’t use those quick packet soups and there is no advantage in using low fat milk. Fat is not your enemy.

Knowledge, planning and organisation are key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle not quick fixes and things that come in packets and are branded as quick, easy and low fat.

Hi am now 3.5lb down in 2 weeks,cut out all chocolate,less wine (no beer) and am trying to eat slightly smaller portions plus a lot of exercise. I don't know how sustainable the exercise is but I'm pleased so far. Miss the chocolate a lot though.

Trying to try new foods as my diet had been a bit limited,hoping to try rice and peppers soon,never had rice.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Hi am now 3.5lb down in 2 weeks,cut out all chocolate,less wine (no beer) and am trying to eat slightly smaller portions plus a lot of exercise. I don't know how sustainable the exercise is but I'm pleased so far. Miss the chocolate a lot though.

Trying to try new foods as my diet had been a bit limited,hoping to try rice and peppers soon,never had rice.:rolleyes:

Well done. I only started eating rice last year (it always reminded me of maggots) and this year it's cheese. Never too late to try new things! Not a huge pepper fan - that said my kids eat red peppers like apples! I prefer red or yellow - they are lovely grilled and then skinned with some oil and herbs or raw in salad cut small. Or stir fried. Or stuff your peppers with savoury rice. mmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BiddyE

WeightWatchers have always encouraged a healthy balance of foods. I've never heard of them "shunning" anything!. Common sense would tell to you to avoid "bad fats" especially if you're trying to lose weight! I lost 52 lb with WeightWatchers & found that they totally re-educated me about food - fresh is best - avoid the processed - proper portion sizes, which we've all lost sight of!

Put all that together with more activity & the support you get from the leader & the other members that are struggling like yoursef & it really works.

There were many weeks when I just didnt want to be there, but I made a deal with myself when I started that I was going to get my money's worth & stay to class. I've had great fun & made new friends - when I'm not doing as well as I want to, someone always lifts & motivates me, And lately I've realised that I have motivated other members so it's all god :-)

am now 6lb down in 3 weeks,a bit of that weight loss may be fluid but still im really happy! Ive a distance to go but a great start! trying to learn new dishes,going to have rice for the first time next week!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

BiddyE wrote: »
    WeightWatchers have always encouraged a healthy balance of foods. I've never heard of them "shunning" anything!. Common sense would tell to you to avoid "bad fats" especially if you're trying to lose weight!

The problem Biddy, is their definition of "bad fats". Also, you should focus on cutting carbs if you're trying to lose weight. WW believes saturated fat is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Hey Freiheit

If you want to follow a WW style diet but aren't sure about the classes, calorie count your food but think of each 40 calories as 1 point. That's basically what the new pro propoints system is, the leader even said it in my class. If you look on the other threads or minimims.com or similar sites you'll see lists of point everywhere. Do you have a smart phone? There's a free WW pro point calculator app. I use a 2.99 app (I never normally pay!!) called Value Diary and they have a massive database where you can just type in 'salmon fillet' or even scan the barcode and it'll give you points. You can enter in your weight each week too to track your progress.

I like going to WW classes though for the camaraderie and to chat about weight loss and ask people's opinions on silly things about food that I don't know. I don't want to be harping on to my friends the whole time about myself. I go I the city centre so there's all sorts of women and men there so it's great craic. Getting weighed by someone else every week is a great incentive as well believe me!! Also it's only a tenner a week, which I would have been spending on crap before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Hey Freiheit

If you want to follow a WW style diet but aren't sure about the classes, calorie count your food but think of each 40 calories as 1 point. That's basically what the new pro propoints system is, the leader even said it in my class. If you look on the other threads or minimims.com or similar sites you'll see lists of point everywhere. Do you have a smart phone? There's a free WW pro point calculator app. I use a 2.99 app (I never normally pay!!) called Value Diary and they have a massive database where you can just type in 'salmon fillet' or even scan the barcode and it'll give you points. You can enter in your weight each week too to track your progress.

I like going to WW classes though for the camaraderie and to chat about weight loss and ask people's opinions on silly things about food that I don't know. I don't want to be harping on to my friends the whole time about myself. I go I the city centre so there's all sorts of women and men there so it's great craic. Getting weighed by someone else every week is a great incentive as well believe me!! Also it's only a tenner a week, which I would have been spending on crap before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BiddyE

I have to agree with you purplepolkadot, its the whole support thing, from people who are going through the same thing as us that really works. I used to think that I was the only one that felt the way I did . . stupid . . . a falure . . all the negative things. Then I saw that we mostly feel the same starting off when we want to lose weight but you get great inspiration from others' success. Its a whole re-education about food, activity & habits etc from people who know what you're going through. And as you say there's fun along the way too :-)

Anyone that was never overweight doesn't have a clue how we feel but every other member is in the same boat

Not so sure about the 40 cals per pp though - its a rough guide alright but I think the most important thing is balance across all the food groups - there's no point staying within your daily/weekly allowance if you're not getting the balance of nutrients that your body needs

• Advertisement
Advertisement