Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Freeze Scone Mixture

Options
  • 02-09-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm making some scones using the Darina Allen recipe but I don't really need 18 scones. I'd use no more than 5 most days

I know I can alter the amount easily, but I'm wondering can I freeze to dough and use it at a later date?

There are three ways that it could possibly be done.
    1 Mix the dough, cut to shape and freeze. When ready to use pop into the oven and give an extra few minutes.
    2. Half bake the scones, say 6 to 8 minutes and then finish them off as needed
    3. Bake all the scones at once and zap them in the microwave as needed.

What do you think?

ps pardon any typo my specks are away getting fixed and I'm relying on my touch typing to get this message through. Everything else is a haze :) with :o

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

I just make the lot together and take one out of freezer on the morning or whenever needed and allow to thaw to room temp or pop in the oven for 10 mins to heat through;:) Works every time! I freeze mine on ziplock bags.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

As the raising agents in scones are chemical, you're best off to cook the dough as soon as possible. (whether baking powder, self raising flour, or baking soda with butter milk, they all kick off pretty much as soon as tehy get wet).

Cook them all, freeze them. Leave the out the night before and give a quick toasting when you want to eat em. Nom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I freeze uncooked scones regularly. Its fairly successful, but they dont rise
    quite as much as cooking them fresh. Its still better than stale scones and
    its reallu handy to be able to have freshly baked scones on a school morning
    with practically no effort.

In my experience, Defrosting cooked scones in a microwave ruins the texture.

I use the Darina Allen recipe for scones and it divides very easily.

Advertisement