Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portobello College for Dressmaking??

Options
  • 02-09-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, has anyone out there done the Garmet Construction course in Portobello Institute? I am looking for feedback on this and any other dressmaking course in the Dublin area. I done an evening course in the grafton academy earlier in the year and found it quite good, but didnt teach us how to read the patterns so i am still clueless here. Any help would great! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 2Cents

I just posted a reply to this thinking of Grafton academy instead of portobello so sorry if you got a notification of that.
    I applied for a fashion design diploma to Portobello this time last year. It was a catastrophe. My deposit of €50 went missing on their system, I wasn't able to pay the rest until I was sure I had a place on the course, by the time they located the payment issues (a website glitch apparently) it was past the final payment date but they kindly let me pay anyway... and cancelled the course 2 days later. It took me 3 months to get my €800+ course fee back and a further 2 months to get that original 50 back.
    I did a garment construction course maybe 5 years ago, in Dun Laoighre. It was very good. Loads of places are doing them now, I've heard of a place in Rathfarnham and I think Murphy Sheedy might be running their own one too. Any sewing class really should address pattern reading.
    The most important thing I find is your own interest level. Most girls on my fashion design course in Grafton were only just starting to cut their fashion fabric at the end of a 12 week course and they were going to pay nearly €400 to come back and finish the next half of it on the next course! Madness. Do a bit of work at home yourself even 1/2 an hour every week and you'll get MUCH more value out of it. I was on my second piece by the end of the course. Mind you, I wouldn't be caught dead in either of them. lol.
    Sites like Craftsy.com and burdastyle.com are fanstastic resourses too. Loads of tips and even online course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chineselouise

I had a similar experience with enrolling for the garment construction course there:
    Having a nightmare trying to get a refund for a course as well. I showed up on the first day to be told it was cancelled but no-one had told me. They apologised and offered a free follow-on course as a gesture but I chose not to re-enroll and just take my refund. That was 2 months ago and I've been chasing it up ever since. Have gotten some sniffy responses from accounts in the mean-time while questioning why this procedure is so convoluted. Please think twice before signing up to a course there and especially before handing over any cheques. I have zero confidence in the quality of teaching there as well - encountered pure laziness when asking for a materials list before the start of the course. Avoid

Advertisement