Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth buying?

• 02-09-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting a new bike. Havn't ridden in a while and have my full licence about a year and a half now so I'll be going for a restricted 600. I was thinking of going for my brother in laws brothers Suzuki Bandit 600 S.

A few things are making me a bit hesitant though. It's 12 years old and been off the road for 9 years with 21k miles on the clock. No damage done to it anywhere other than a bit of rust. Engine looks fine. Battery works alright once charged but obviously I'll need a new one along with basically everything for a full service. I'll probably be looking at the E700+ mark for repair work.

Will this be worth doing or has it just been off the road too long and be a total nightmare for me and how much do you reckon I should be paying for it before the repairs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

With it sitting up for so long was the petrol drained and oil
    Was it garaged or outside?
    It would be a grand bike but what sort of money can you get it for?
    Wouldnt be worth a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Petrol was drained. I'm not sure about oil but it was changed about a year or so ago.

It was outside for 6 years under a cover and garaged for 3 years.

I'm not too sure. He said make an offer so don't really know how much to put towards it. Just kind of nervous I'll get it send it in to get fixed up and then it still won't work after getting all the parts and servicing done since it's been off the road so long.

Is anything seized?
    does it move freely?
    if the oil was changed and that bike should be ok look at it this way it be a good bike to start off then worry about looking at next bike after:D

No idea. We tryed to get it started yesterday but just gotta the starter chugging away and wouldn't suck in petrol I guess.

Moves free enough to push it anyway.

Yeah it is a very nice bike I just don't want to end up constantly throwing money at it to keep it going.

Get a new battery then new plugs then new petrol take air filter out/open air box help breath try starting and if you have to put set of jump leads on so as to not kill the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Was it started regularly, or at all?
    Was it near the sea?

Given enough time all the oil can drain down into the sump and you can get rust forming in the oil galleries and on all dry parts. I've seen a crank that was half covered in oil and half rusted, to the point where so much metal had been lost that it was useless, but it was a 60s brit bike (Trumpy or beesa, I can't remember) that was left idle for a lot longer than 9 years.

If it wasn't started at all or was kept in a particularly harsh environment, there may be rust or other blockages. There is stuff that can be flushed through before you replace the oil that will clean out any crap, not sure what it does to gaskets though. Failing that it might need to be stripped down.

It's very unlikely to be that bad after 9 years but sometimes it's better to be prepared. It's very common for bikes to be forgotten about like this and the vast majority of them survive.

It was started once a year or two ago when they changed the oil. No it wasn't near the sea at all just in a suburb in West Dublin.

I didn't know that you could get stuff to flush it out. I'll look into that.

That last point is good to know thanks. I thought 9 years off the road would be very bad but I wouldn't be too knowledgeable about these things.

Advertisement