Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Quick To Blacklist Phone

Options
  • 02-09-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hey sorry if wrong place but I basically my phone was stolen last night and I need to blacklist it within 24 hours or else my insurance policy is void.

I bought the phone with Carphone Warehouse on a Meteor sim but I changed to 48 months which don't seem to offer the blacklisting service.

Now I'm afraid that the policy might already be void because I switched networks but surely I insured the physical phone regardless of network?

Anyway how do you blacklist a phone if your network doesn't provide the servie?

Thanks, clocks ticking; 12 more hours left!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Can meteor or 48 not block the phone using the IMEI number?

what model of phone is it-

iphone 4/4s, samsung europa/ ace/ galaxy, win 7 phone?

you may be able to install an app remotely, but there's a chance your phone is already flashed with the IMEI changed with no hope of you retrieving it or claiming on the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah simcard doesn't matter for blacklisting. Get the original supplier to blacklist the IMEI. This will get you your insurance, however the thieves just get around the blacklisting by exporting the phone outside the eu.

Oh, and changing the IMEI on a phone is not possible on most modern handsets, and is treated as a terrorist offense in some countries punishable by 5+ years on jail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

48 don't seem to offer blacklisting however I rang Meteor and they did it for me even though I'm not with them anymore.

Problem now is though that I didn't blacklist it within the 24 hours. Will the insurance company be able to find that out?

From the android market via web browser. It won't work tho... and even if it does what are you gonna do? Kick down every door in a 100m radius?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

With GPS, it's a lot less than 100m. I'd wait until my N8 moved, and then follow it until I was sure I knew who had it.

• Advertisement

GPS doesn't work indoors. Phone might be turned off. Sim card will likely be removed. How much of your valuable time are you willing to spend trying to hunt it down? It's a nice fantasy but in reality you are highly unlikely to get it back.

Entire police departments have tried and failed: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/berkeley-police-chief-assigns-10-officers-son-missing-202417152.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Tried the Plan B thing; didn't work. I'd say maybe if I had have done it straight away I might have had a chance but in future I'll just install every anti-theft app under the sun as soon as I get a new phone.

Am submitting the claim tomorrow hopefully there'll be no problems.

Thanks for the help everyone

Advertisement