Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATV on beach? Allowed or not?

Options
  • 02-09-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I was wondering what are the laws relating to driving ATV's on beach? I know in other countries cars aren't allowed to be driven on beach but you can race ATV across coast/beach. What about Dublin? is it allowed? Any kind of permission needed?
    I go to bull island quite a lot, it has a nice long beach, I saw coast guards, would I need to ask them for permission or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cars are not allowed on the 'nice long' part of it. That's why they have the boulders to block progress.
    The beach is for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

spurious wrote: »
    Cars are not allowed on the 'nice long' part of it. That's why they have the boulders to block progress.
    The beach is for people.
    I saw others driving on it though?

Saw a girl driving on mini bike (the small motorbike)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

arleitiss wrote: »
    I saw others driving on it though?

Saw a girl driving on mini bike (the small motorbike)

I have seen the lifeguards travel about on small vehicles, but I very much doubt they would allow racing on a beach which is supposed to be safe for pedestrians.

Perhaps they have days when they let them on, though I've never seen it.

spurious wrote: »
    I have seen the lifeguards travel about on small vehicles, but I very much doubt they would allow racing on a beach which is supposed to be safe for pedestrians.

Perhaps they have days when they let them on, though I've never seen it.

I am sure there are ways to drive on beach? I mean I saw quite a few individuals moving along coast on different bikes/mini bikes nothing big though, biggest vehicle I saw was life guard ATV and they drive it on specific side of beach, guess best way to find out is to go and ask life guards

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Beaches are covered by local authority bye-laws. I'd suggest contacting Dublin City Council. As for racing an ATV on a public beach I wouldn't expect that you would be given permission to do this.

I don't think they even allow horses on some beaches in Fingal.

• Advertisement

Beaches are covered by local authority bye-laws. I'd suggest contacting Dublin City Council. As for racing an ATV on a public beach I wouldn't expect that you would be given permission to do this.

I don't think they even allow horses on some beaches in Fingal.

Just mad how government is too lazy to come up with more detailed laws, when it comes to coming up with laws they just say: No to all types of driving on beach, I mean seriously many countries have at least some kind of restrictions, like specific time, specific side of beach, specific engine size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just mad how government is too lazy to come up with more detailed laws, when it comes to coming up with laws they just say: No to all types of driving on beach, I mean seriously many countries have at least some kind of restrictions, like specific time, specific side of beach, specific engine size.

I seriously think the government have better things to be doing! As already mentioned, beaches are subject to council bye-laws. A blanket ban is easier to enforce than checking engine size!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Use of an ATV in a public place (including beaches) is likely to be illegal as they tend not to have differential axles.

If they are legal, you would need tax, insurance and driving licence. Racing is likely to only be allowed on closed roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Use of an ATV in a public place (including beaches) is likely to be illegal as they tend not to have differential axles.

If they are legal, you would need tax, insurance and driving licence. Racing is likely to only be allowed on closed roads.
    Just mad how government is too lazy to come up with more detailed laws, when it comes to coming up with laws
    Have you made submissions on the matter?

It would be the council's or the port company's bye-laws that would apply, nothing to do with government.

And importantly, why should a nuisance activity be tolerated on a nature reserve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hey, I was wondering what are the laws relating to driving ATV's on beach? I know in other countries cars aren't allowed to be driven on beach but you can race ATV across coast/beach. What about Dublin? is it allowed? Any kind of permission needed?
    I go to bull island quite a lot, it has a nice long beach, I saw coast guards, would I need to ask them for permission or something?

As Victor said, a beach is a public place, therefore ATV would need to be road legal, taxed, licenced and insured. Even then, I doubt you would be allowed ride it one the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 bad mongo

it's a special area of conservation with many protected species and habitats, if you can't get your head around that you shouldn't really be on the public road- never mind having some kind of off road fantasy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Some of those boulders on the beaches were placed there to hamper joyriders who used the beaches as their personal mayhem arena in the past.

Advertisement