Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is This Humanities Golden age.

• 02-09-2012 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Oil prices rising and not going down
    Serious food inflation also with little hope of the prices going back down.
    Fresh water crisis in most the world.
    Pending climate chaos.
    Icelandic Volcanoes rumbling.
    Population explosion
    We are also living in one of the Earth's major extinction events.

Have we, or are we living in the golden age of humanity, is the only way down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

We could be, if we let ourselves. We probably will too; look at what we are letting happen to us re: the banks, for example.

We could also be on the brink of something wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Alright so, point taken thread/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

shedweller wrote: »
    We could be, if we let ourselves. We probably will too; look at what we are letting happen to us re: the banks, for example.

We could also be on the brink of something wonderful!

I just don't see it. I don't think we can tech ourselves out of the trouble that seems to be looming.

There is just to many of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I'm pretty concerned about all the UFOs now that you mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

You forgot the fact levels of stupidity and ignorance among humans is at all time highs and therefore levels of depression among the intelligent ones is also at new highs. Yes, the world is fuc.ked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Get an electric bike.

Go to Lidl.

Drink beer, you pussy.
    Pending climate chaos.

It's a tax scam.

They're not exactly supervolcanoes. They're not a threat in any sense.
    Population explosion

We've been whing about this for 150 years with the old "If something isn't done in 50 years, X will happen." Load of toss. The population of the Earth could fit into Texas with room to spare.

I must've missed the asteroid, or are you End of the World is Nigh loon fan? Don't be a moron.

Are you being bombed, starved or are you homeless? No? Are you going to be? No? Do you have exess money, a house, a car and luxuries? Then you must be an Indo journalist to complain about the above.

Red Hand wrote: »
    That scared me.:(

The scariest thing for me is not that these people exist, but that there are people who wish to watch their lives on a TV show. It's a modern-day freak show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Sweet jesus! stuff like this shows you why America is getting deeper and deeper in trouble, felt my IQ going down just watching that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Colmustard wrote: »
    Pending climate chaos.
    Population explosion

Those Icelandic Volcanoes have been rumbling away for millions of years.

Nothing to worry about.

As long as there is enough coffee to go around, the human race will survive for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Lapin wrote: »

As long as there is enough coffee to go around, the human race will survive for ever.
    Not if all that methane evaporates from the arctic and under the sea.

The scariest thing for me is not that these people exist, but that there are people who wish to watch their lives on a TV show. It's a modern-day freak show.

It's going to get worse, believe me.

Oh King Of Moo, why can't they be like us and discuss philosophy down at the Club over a glass of sherry before some reddening coals as we listen to the svelte strains of Mozart's Adagio in B minor?:pac:

Confab wrote: »
    Get an electric bike.

Go to Lidl. (I do but the prices are still rising)

Drink beer, you pussy. ( that needs fresh water)

It's a tax scam. ( Say that to the icecaps)

They're not exactly supervolcanoes. (No but Laki is a nasty one, so is Katla) Volcanic activity is up all over the world, there was 3 megaquakes last year alone, they are suppose to happen once a decade)

We've been whing about this for 150 years. (Yeah I agree and with reason)

I must've missed the asteroid, or are you End of the World is Nigh loon fan?
    ( This is a major extinction event http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Fenvironment%2F2009%2Fjul%2F28%2Fspecies-extinction-hotspots-australia&ei=GXZDUMrOAoHOhAeF_IEw&usg=AFQjCNH-T847DknwtJrvsiDXjooD5G7P0A&sig2=HzkpXVXhaKsYj48To8Uz1w

We are in one, species are been wiped out every day.

Are you being bombed, starved or are you homeless? No? Are you going to be? No? Then you must be an Indo journalist to complain about the above.

(I don't know is the answer)

Fuk methane.

You can't smoke it or snort it.

Lapin wrote: »
    Those Icelandic Volcanoes have been rumbling away for millions of years.

Nothing to worry about.

Its different now, apparently the ice cover is extra pressure that keeps a lid on them (so to speak) Iceland is loosing it's ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Yes things have never been better for you and me. To think otherwise is foolish

Iceland is loosing it's ice.

We'll worry about that when it happens and simply change its name to Land when it does lose its ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Its different now, apparently the ice cover is extra pressure that keeps a lid on them (so to speak) Iceland is loosing it's ice.

So it's just going to be called "Land" from now on?

It's going to get worse, believe me.

Oh King Of Moo, why can't they be like us and discuss philosophy down at the Club over a glass of sherry before some reddening coals as we listen to the svelte strains of Mozart's Adagio in B minor?:pac:

Ah reckon Bizet's a mighty fine composer myself, ah reckon. Bin to the pitchers a lot lately fer mah stories. They got them some classic Fellini stories showin' there.

*reaches for bucket of Moet*

• Advertisement

Ah reckon Bizet's a mighty fine composer myself, ah reckon. Bin to the pitchers a lot lately fer mah stories. They got them some classic Fellini stories showin' there.

*reaches for bucket of Moet*

Ah'm partial to the grits masalf, I do declahhhhhhh. Y'all seen dat Damian Hirst center piece in them Olympics Games in London, England?

Ah'm partial to the grits masalf, I do declahhhhhhh. Y'all seen dat Damian Hirst center piece in them Olympics Games in London, England?

Reckon it were an intriguin' intersection of street art an' a more traditional style, as befitted that there combination of high an' low art that's bin observed as a tradishnull aspect of London since Dr. Johnson's time.
    Ah don't rightly know what to make o' Hirst most of the time though: he's a durned hard critter to pin down. I don't take kindly to his use of assistants to produce his works, but he's always durned provokin' debate, an' ain't that the dagnam point o' art?

Well Greenland is Greenland again.

And our own land is still in a state of Ire. :(

Reckon it were an intriguin' intersection of street art an' a more traditional style, as befitted that there combination of high an' low art that's bin observed as a tradishnull aspect of London since Dr. Johnson's time.
    Ah don't rightly know what to make o' Hirst most of the time though: he's a durned hard critter to pin down. I don't take kindly to his use of assistants to produce his works, but he's always durned provokin' debate, an' ain't that the dagnam point o' art?

Wull, fellar, yer right in what you say. Yer a bright one!

Y'all one of them professoring types down at the cee-ment factory, over at Tulsa?

Wull, fellar, yer right in what you say. Yer a bright one!

Y'all one of them professoring types down at the cee-ment factory, over at Tulsa?

Yup, professor o' dynamitin' and Early Asian History.

Yup, professor o' dynamitin' and Early Asian History.

I wish I more thank buttons!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 supernature

We'll be kicking around in some shape or form until the Sun burns out and that's a fair while away.

We'll be kicking around in some shape or form until the Sun burns out and that's a fair while away.

5 billion years, now I don't want to alarm you but I heard that figure a few years ago, so it's less now.

Yeah we will be. We are very adaptable but does it get any better then this. All the easy resources are out burnt and rusting. All the easy technology apples have been picked, anything else needs massive investment and resources, the garden shed or garage inventions are finished.

But who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 supernature

Who knows indeed. We have been predicting our own demise for centuries, but we are indeed being incredibly greedy with reources & breeding like mad. Maybe some catastrophic event like a super volcano will see us almost revert back to the beginning. Seems to happen every once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We've been whing about this for 150 years with the old "If something isn't done in 50 years, X will happen." Load of toss. The population of the Earth could fit into Texas with room to spare.
    A bit of a meaningless point. If I stack all my furniture into the corner I can move in another couch, my living conditions haven't improved any. If anything they've gotten much worse and all my furniture has become unusable. It's not so bad if you want to have your grandchildren living a Somalian life style but if your looking for any comfort more people means more problems.

I think people will see the last few generations as a mixed bag that done a lot of good but wiped all that good out by being self indulgent and having a reckless regard for anything outside of their own personal needs.

The fact is we know we're doing harm we simply don't care as we won't be around to suffer through our mistakes. In generations to come future generations will hear about how we fished the oceans to the floor even though we knew fish stocks where falling, they'll hear how we exploited 3rd world countries even though we could see their faces in our media, They'll hear how we squandered our oil on cars, fought the freedom of knowledge that was inherent in the internet, the list goes on and on.

Other generations made mistakes but we know what we're doing and we just carry on regardless and that's how we'll go down in history. Reckless and self indulgent.

So it's just going to be called "Land" from now on?

No, Eurospar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Idiots will happily watch it too. It's cheaper than paying actors and idiots will still watch it. Win-Win for the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

O.P., get yourself a sandwich board and take to the streets, your talents are wasted on the internet.

Every generation since the dawn of time has thought "The End of the World is Nigh!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I read in a book called super freakonomics about how the climate change issue can relatively easily be solved, it was very convincing. As a result I wouldn't worry one bit about climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

http://youtu.be/2cjRGee5ipM
    Sketch by George Carlin on the arrogance of mankind, saying we need to start saving ourselves rather than trying to save the planet as the Earth was here for billions of years before us and will still be hear if we destroy ourselves for billions more.

I thought I would bump this to depress you all.

It seems to be a thread about pessimists and optimists.

But the optimists have no real science, just mocking and slagging and wishing I am wrong.

I want to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so give me a good argument, tell me it is going to be rosy, give me links to confirm your optimism and please. don't talk about moronic conspiracy

The science is there it's open and online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

*reaches for spitoon of Moet*

FYP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

I thought I would bump this to depress you all.

It seems to be a thread about pessimists and optimists.

But the optimists have no real science, just mocking and slagging and wishing I am wrong.

I want to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so give me a good argument, tell me it is going to be rosy, give me links to confirm your optimism and please. don't talk about moronic conspiracy

The science is there it's open and online.

Optimists? Realists.

Every single generation has had people who think they live in the end times. That's because everything that happens contemporaneous to you seems more inportant.

There have always been volcanoes and tsunamis. Ireland has always had crappy weather.

Those clowns in congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Theres less wars and people dying from them than at any time in history.....you just get to see/hear about every little conflict on TV now
    Theres less poverty than at any time in history......You just get to see/hear about all the poverty on TV now.
    Theres less people dying in natural disasters (Weather, Volcano's, Earthquakes etc) due to technological advance warning/better contructed buildings etc).....you just see/hear about them all on TV now.
    There are less people dying due to crime/lunatics/societal anarchy or affected by it.........You just see/hear about all crime everywhere on TV now.

As womens right/access to education improve all over the world birthrates are dropping. As child mortality rates and the number of people in abject poverty falls birth rates will drop. The population will level off at around 10 billion and stay that way. We're at just over 7 billion now. We can manage 10 billion.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Theres less wars and people dying from them than at any time in history.....you just get to see/hear about every little conflict on TV now
    In recent recorded history, wars require civilisations. We don't know much about what happened 20,000 years or more ago. Could have been getting along just fine.

Theres less poverty than at any time in history......You just get to see/hear about all the poverty on TV now.
    Poverty becomes a non issue once you go back to civilisations that just didn't use money. I've wondered about this one lately, 99% or the population of earth is poor the major difference is the bottom of the ladder is a much nicer place to be than it ever has been in history so the poor are much more content than they've ever been.

Theres less people dying in natural disasters (Weather, Volcano's, Earthquakes etc) due to technological advance warning/better contructed buildings etc).....you just see/hear about them all on TV now.
    That's surprising considering the population explosion in the past century.

The population will level off at around 10 billion and stay that way. We're at just over 7 billion now. We can manage 10 billion.
    Fingers crossed we stop reproducing at 10billion, I don't see it happening though. Of course we can't give a decent quality of life to the 7 billion we have and I don't think there's anyone that's willing to share their wealth out between another 3 billion.

ScumLord wrote: »
    A bit of a meaningless point. If I stack all my furniture into the corner I can move in another couch, my living conditions haven't improved any. If anything they've gotten much worse and all my furniture has become unusable. It's not so bad if you want to have your grandchildren living a Somalian life style but if your looking for any comfort more people means more problems.

I think people will see the last few generations as a mixed bag that done a lot of good but wiped all that good out by being self indulgent and having a reckless regard for anything outside of their own personal needs.

The fact is we know we're doing harm we simply don't care as we won't be around to suffer through our mistakes. In generations to come future generations will hear about how we fished the oceans to the floor even though we knew fish stocks where falling, they'll hear how we exploited 3rd world countries even though we could see their faces in our media, They'll hear how we squandered our oil on cars, fought the freedom of knowledge that was inherent in the internet, the list goes on and on.

Other generations made mistakes but we know what we're doing and we just carry on regardless and that's how we'll go down in history. Reckless and self indulgent.

Ok, so recommend which eugenics program we should use. It's either that or increase food, oil and fresh water production.

......Earth was here for billions of years before us and will still be hear if we destroy ourselves for billions more.

How on earth did you manage to do that ?

ScumLord wrote: »
    In recent recorded history, wars require civilisations. We don't know much about what happened 20,000 years or more ago. Could have been getting along just fine.

Poverty becomes a non issue once you go back to civilisations that just didn't use money. I've wondered about this one lately, 99% or the population of earth is poor the major difference is the bottom of the ladder is a much nicer place to be than it ever has been in history so the poor are much more content than they've ever been.

That's surprising considering the population explosion in the past century.

Fingers crossed we stop reproducing at 10billion, I don't see it happening though. Of course we can't give a decent quality of life to the 7 billion we have and I don't think there's anyone that's willing to share their wealth out between another 3 billion.

I'm not talking absolute numbers. The vids explain it well. In 1960 the population of the planet was 3 billion. 2 Billion in poverty and 1 billion in comfort in the industrialised world. Right now there are still 2 billion in the same level of poverty but the population of the world is now 7 billion. Just because the same number of people are in poverty now as then doesn't mean that we haven't made massive strides in tackling poverty. In 1960 2 thirds of the population lived in poverty. In 2012 just over a quarter. You can apply the same logic to wars, murder rates, earthquake deaths. In absolute terms more people die from these things now because of the large increase in population but in relative terms much less than in the past. Then add in the fact that the media lets you hear about them all and it seems like things have gotten a whole lot worse across the board when in fact the opposite is the case.

Your final comment about hoping that we all stop reproducing when the population hits 10 billion makes me think you didn't watch the end of the second vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Had a ****load of things I wanted to get done today but saw that.....

F' it, what's the use

Oh Good Lord, its really coming true!! :eek:

Ok, so recommend which eugenics program we should use. It's either that or increase food, oil and fresh water production.
    We don't need eugenics, the fact is we have enough of everything it's just there's a large proportion of people that can't afford to buy. Increasing production only makes sense with our horrible global economics. That being we produce more, there's more available which means supply matches demand or increases demand sue to lower prices. It doesn't solve any problem it just makes it worse and turns a problem in the distance into a face to face problem.

We can fix all these problems it's just not financially viable to do so, there's no profit in it.
    Calibos wrote: »
    Your final comment about hoping that we all stop reproducing when the population hits 10 billion makes me think you didn't watch the end of the second vid.
    No time yet and I agree that things are comparatively better these days but at the same time they're still not great for the majority and there's no real sign that things will get much better based on the way we operate now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't know but say be put into a lot of history/geography books and on exams in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Pending climate chaos.
    Population explosion

Its the Golden age of buying cheap property, and making sh*tloads of cash by renting them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Freaks? They're not freaks - they're just ordinary, everyday Americans from Georgia. They're quite normal but a lot of people seem to have a problem with them because they are comfortable allowing people into their homes to see how they live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement