Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kazakhstan v Ireland match thread - 7/9/12 - 17:00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Yep I honestly don't get the disappointment vibe of us snatching the win? Granted the performance was dreadful and hard to be confident going into the rest of the games, but what's all the "ah FFS" nonsense about?

We did snatch a winner or are some of you from Kazakhstan? If so well then I understand your disappointment, if not...maybe don't watch anymore Irish matches if a win is a disappointment to you.

Don't confuse the "disappointment vibe" with "not being over-elated" with us snatching a win. Two different emotions but it's easy to label them the same to suit an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some people seem to think playing dire is a sackable offence.

I'd love to hear the alternative from the Trap out brigade because it seems to me if you get a new manager in with new ideas on players and selection then you are greatly increasing the chances of this campaign becoming a transitional one. We are in a group with Germany and Sweden - two teams who usually qualify for tournaments - and to me the idea of doing a complete overhaul now is stupid beyond belief.

The man won't be at the helm after this campaign whatever happens so why sack him now and cut off our nose to spite our face?

And before the usual lame retort comes along - 'if you think he should stay you're deluded' - just a couple of quick questions:

1) Who should come in and replace him?
    2) What should the aim for this campaign be for this new manager? (i.e. is this campaign to be written off?)
    3) If a new change of style comes in and the transition takes years to take effect, are you going to have the patience to put up with that (considering many of you want to sack a man after one game which to me is not a sign of great patience)

Weigh up the options and take the best course. In my eyes, sticking with Trap for the forseeable future is the best course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

What happens if we play out of our skins vs Germany and Sweden and get a couple of points as we often do when we are massive underdogs?Suddenly the group looks a hell of a lot more favourable and tonights comeback becomes very precious. Lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Yep I honestly don't get the disappointment vibe of us snatching the win? Granted the performance was dreadful and hard to be confident going into the rest of the games, but what's all the "ah FFS" nonsense about?

We did snatch a winner or are some of you from Kazakhstan? If so well then I understand your disappointment, if not...maybe don't watch anymore Irish matches if a win is a disappointment to you.

How can it be anything other than a disappointment, even if we get so lucky we actually qualify for the World Cup we will be embarrassed by any half decent team. I know we dont have quality players but to stick to the same ****e football and hinder player development is not going to do anything for the future. Id rather see younger players and new tactics tried out and us fail to quaify than us to play the like this, possibly scrap through just to be embarrassed at the finals. Then we have made no progress for the following tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Forgive me for not jumping up and down and kissing the Sacred Heart Of Jesus after that dire performance. That must make me a terrible fan and an even worse Catholic.

wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

1) Who should come in and replace him? Dont know
    2) What should the aim for this campaign be for this new manager? (i.e. is this campaign to be written off?) Yes write off the campaign as chances are we are not gonna qualify anyway but at least try some new players and try something different so we have a better idea next time around
    3) If a new change of style comes in and the transition takes years to take effect, are you going to have the patience to put up with that (considering many of you want to sack a man after one game which to me is not a sign of great patience) He shouldnt be sacked just because of this one game, its because he is to stuborn to try anything new and will continiue to hinder the teams development as long as he is in charge. Whats the point of having him there for the remainder of this just to get rid of him at the end and have made no advancements at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I only saw the last 15 mins. I dont care how they played tbh, the result is all that matters. We have a squad of average players, some peoples expectation is beyond belief. We havent got a player who is good enough to play in any top team in the Prem, so I never expect a great performance.

The results vs Germany,Sweden and Austria are what will decide our qualification, not Kazakstan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Don't confuse the "disappointment vibe" with "not being over-elated" with us snatching a win. Two different emotions but it's easy to label them the same to suit an argument.

No I'm not confusing anything, I know the "non over-elated" feeling, I'm far from over-elated, that's fine. As I said it's the "ah FFS" response from some posters that I dont get, it's almost 'ah ****, we won' rather than 'really poor performance but we got away with it today'. Bigger picture is bleak of course, but it's nearly like some wanted us to lose. Thats my PROBLEM!!!!!

Helix wrote: »
    wtf?

If i need to explain it.................you obviously don't get it.

No I'm not confusing anything, I know the "non over-elated" feeling, I'm far from over-elated, that's fine. As I said it's the "ah FFS" response from some posters that I dont get, it's almost 'ah ****, we won' rather than 'really poor performance but we got away with it today'. Bigger picture is bleak of course, but it's nearly like some wanted us to lose. Thats my PROBLEM!!!!!

That's perfectly fine. I am in more or less the same boat. But quote the posters that have actually said "FFS......we won". There may have been some that got lost in the thread, but i haven;t seen them. You quoted a response to another poster said he didn't make a sound after winning. That isn't the same as being disappointed in winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

did my post not tell you that i didnt get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just noticed we're top of the group :D

At least until the Germany match finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Watching Ireland hoof the ball against kazakhstan is really a all time low for me. I can understand the tactics against better teams sometimes but tonight really hurts the guts.

did my post not tell you that i didnt get it?

I guess you ain't getting it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

m.j.w wrote: »
    How can it be anything other than a disappointment, even if we get so lucky we actually qualify for the World Cup we will be embarrassed by any half decent team. I know we dont have quality players but to stick to the same ****e football and hinder player development is not going to do anything for the future. Id rather see younger players and new tactics tried out and us fail to quaify than us to play the like this, possibly scrap through just to be embarrassed at the finals. Then we have made no progress for the following tournament

Wales have been in development mode for coming on 10 years.

Talk of "development" in the International arena is the talk of nations who will never qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone wrote: »
    I only saw the last 15 mins. I dont care how they played tbh, the result is all that matters. We have a squad of average players, some peoples expectation is beyond belief. We havent got a player who is good enough to play in any top team in the Prem, so I never expect a great performance.
    We have players playing well in premiership teams who dont get picked while average c'ship players do.
    The results vs Germany,Sweden and Austria are what will decide our qualification, not Kazakstan.

Stupid thing to say. No one knows yet how vital this win might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

I'd love to hear the alternative from the Trap out brigade because it seems to me if you get a new manager in with new ideas on players and selection then you are greatly increasing the chances of this campaign becoming a transitional one. We are in a group with Germany and Sweden - two teams who usually qualify for tournaments - and to me the idea of doing a complete overhaul now is stupid beyond belief.

The man won't be at the helm after this campaign whatever happens so why sack him now and cut off our nose to spite our face?

And before the usual lame retort comes along - 'if you think he should stay you're deluded' - just a couple of quick questions:

2) What should the aim for this campaign be for this new manager? (i.e. is this campaign to be written off?)
    3) If a new change of style comes in and the transition takes years to take effect, are you going to have the patience to put up with that (considering many of you want to sack a man after one game which to me is not a sign of great patience)

Weigh up the options and take the best course. In my eyes, sticking with Trap for the forseeable future is the best course.

only thing i would say there is if you dont think he will get us to Brazil, does it not make more sense to get someone else in now to get the players used to a (maybe) new style of football in time for the qualifiers for 2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

[-0-] wrote: »

If the FAI won't pay him off I think we should. Someone else mentioned this as well. I would gladly give a grand to see the back of him.

Pretty sick of carrying financially the glaring mistakes of the dopes that are in power, so you are on your own with this one mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Brian McDermott could probably be persuaded to replace Trap. He has a confirmed interest in the job and is a superb manager, and is certainly the ideal candidate. With him we would be in extremely safe hands.

Other confirmed interested candidates like Mick are still a better option.

And then there's others who haven't confirmed interest who would be much better also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ugh some of the people in here are so ignorant of football .......Why is it that some ppl have the notion that we have no good players there fore Trap hasn't a choice but to put the worst players possible on the pitch

the team tonight was dreadful I could almost name an entire alternate 11 that all play for Premiership clubs that would be better than those out there tonight bar a few exceptions
    GK: Westwood :couldn't fault him did quite well
    RB: Coleman
    CB: Dunne
    CB: O Shea
    LB C.Clark
    RM A.Pilkington
    CM J.Mccarthy
    CM: Wes Houlihan
    LM: J.Mclean
    CF: Long
    CF: Walters

and yes not all of them play for top premiership clubs as you call them , But if you look at the premiership outside of the top 2 there isn't a massive gulf in class as there used to be, Southampton were unlucky not to beat Man U and Man City in 2 of there first 3 games (a team just up from the championship aswell) and to say none of those lads could play attractive football is absolute and utter bollox, to beat the likes of Kazahkstan who as alot of ppl here alluded to alot of them couldn't beat St.Pats for ****e sake.....Trap was a fantastic manager at club level but its proven he's dodgy as **** with international level ...do any of you even remember that he failed in two tournaments to get Italy to even the quarter finals of a major tournament , something they usually achieve quite comfortably..and this qualification group is already a write up so it would be a perfect time to breed the newer players not that they'd even need breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Missed the game but just got home for the panel after the match I was waiting for the fists to fly. 2 against 2 it would have been. Got very heated. I think Tony O'Donough was though with his questions must have got some training from Jeff Sterling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Do you Trap followers actually enjoy watching the ****e he has served up over the last couple of years? When he first came, you could see the shape he was giving to the team ie. rigid 4-4-2 and I think we were all relieved after the Stan years. But since he has alienated at least 5/6 players which we cant afford to alienate. The football has if anything gotten worse. Its the same thing as the rugby team under Declan Kidney. We get the odd decent result and use this as a reason to justify the dross we have to witness 90% of the time.

wtf?

That's perfectly fine. I am in more or less the same boat. But quote the posters that have actually said "FFS......we won". There may have been some that got lost in the thread, but i haven;t seen them. You quoted a response to another poster said he didn't make a sound after winning. That isn't the same as being disappointed in winning.

In fairness I was actually quoting Lucky Loyds response which I agree with, regarding the cheering against Ireland, I just hate that attitude, I mean why watch them at all if you feel that way? Page 41 of this thread is a good example of some of the stupid stuff I'm talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

clsmooth wrote: »
    Do you Trap followers actually enjoy watching the ****e he has served up over the last couple of years? When he first came, you could see the shape he was giving to the team ie. rigid 4-4-2 and I think we were all relieved after the Stan years. But since he has alienated at least 5/6 players which we cant afford to alienate. The football has if anything gotten worse. Its the same thing as the rugby team under Declan Kidney. We get the odd decent result and use this as a reason to justify the dross we have to witness 90% of the time.

I enjoyed qualifying alright.

Ah ****!!! NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    keith16 wrote: »
    penalty....FFS?
    DEVEREUX wrote: »
    **** off they dont deserve a penalty
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    and here will be the ultimate let down.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Oh my god. They have been robbed.
    delad wrote: »
    ffs trap saved by the bell

A reminder of some of the cretinous posting in this thread this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

I hope to god trap goes soon, the positivity and hope is being drained out of the national team, we are going nowhere with this guy and i refuse to believe that we cant get someone better than this guy, he's alienating too many players and playing hoofball against kazakhstan in unacceptable, the irish players are not world beaters but by god their better than being reduced to hoofing it up the field against kazakhstan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Cheering against Ireland is ridiculous, but I understand where people are coming from.

What's going to happen to Ireland is inevitable. I think people's disappointment is that the agony continues a little longer as we limp to the next game. Playing as we are, Trap will not last the campaign. Had we lost this evening, Trap was gone. Anyone who says otherwise, is talking bollox. Pay off or not, that would have been curtains for him.

From a PR point of view, the FAI would have had to get rid of him.

Anyway, onwards.

In fairness I was actually quoting Lucky Loyds response which I agree with, regarding the cheering against Ireland, I just hate that attitude, I mean why watch them at all if you feel that way? Page 41 of this thread is a good example of some of the stupid stuff I'm talking about!

I hate that attitude also. Some of the quotes are probably open to interpretation. Most of them seen to convey the frustration at the performance despite gathering 3 points, which is pretty acceptable i think. Some of them could be conceived as being against the national team winning. Funny thins about the internet is that words and feelings don't always come across as written.

For me, as i said earlier, am happy to have 3 points from the first round. Although, if we have any aspirations of qualifying, which a few on here think we realistically have(not me i'm afraid), this was fundamentally a game we needed to win to amass enough points to do so. The fact that 3 minutes separated this from being one of the worst results i can remember to being "3 points gained" does not fill me with much enjoyment at the minute. The manner of our win, and performance, was terrible. If this had come on the back of some good results i could put it down as a blip, but the showing of the team at the Euro's combined with what i believe were some very poor performances in the qualifiers leave me believing that this will be the "status quo" for Irish performances under Trap and i don't believe we will be any where near as lucky as we were tonight.

I enjoyed qualifying alright.

Good man. Did you enjoy the tournament? Did you enjoy the results we achieved there? Did you enjoy the football we played? Lets all admit we were steeped to qualify. Lets hope we can get a 10 man Estonia in a playoff again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Ugh some of the people in here are so ignorant of football .......Why is it that some ppl have the notion that we have no good players there fore Trap hasn't a choice but to put the worst players possible on the pitch

the team tonight was dreadful I could almost name an entire alternate 11 that all play for Premiership clubs that would be better than those out there tonight bar a few exceptions
    LB C.Clark
    RM A.Pilkington
    CM J.Mccarthy

Would get murdered defensively.

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    Yep stick Paul Green in :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I honestly think you're not looking at this properly.

Trap has done some great things for us, but Jesus Christ he's had plenty of the rub of the green in his reign here. We qualified from the group last time out because of Richard Dunne's heroics in Russia. We should have gotten absolutely destroyed in that game. We then got a play-off against the only team in the play-offs worse than us in Estonia.

When we play in friendlies we always seem to look much better because the personnel in there are different. The McCarthy's and the Long's have impressed time and time again in friendlies yet when it comes to the competitive games it's the same XI over and over again. Rinse and repeat. Everyone says we're limited etc. etc. I personally don't think anybody is in any position to say that especially since Trap seems to use the same eleven players in every single competitive game and play the exact same predictable way that allowed us to be found out at the Euros. The way I see Trap in friendlies is that he looks at players who should be starting instead of players who we should be potentially looking at in the future. Instead of looking at McCarthy and Long all the time, he should be starting the pair of them and should be casting an eye towards the likes of Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady and Sean Murray.

He has no intention of changing his ways and because of this, it will be a lot longer until we start seeing Hendrick, Brady and Murray, despite the fact that they're already well-established Championship players and, by all accounts, should be playing in the Premier League. You mention going into a transition during this campaign if he gets sacked? It'll be the exact same if we wait until his term is over. A new man will have to come in and start from scratch.

I personally wouldn't have any problem giving Mick McCarthy the job. He'll know exactly who he should be playing, at the very least.

I hate that attitude also. Some of the quotes are probably open to interpretation. Most of them seen to convey the frustration at the performance despite gathering 3 points, which is pretty acceptable i think. Some of them could be conceived as being against the national team winning. Funny thins about the internet is that words and feelings don't always come across as written.

For me, as i said earlier, am happy to have 3 points from the first round. Although, if we have any aspirations of qualifying, which a few on here think we realistically have(not me i'm afraid), this was fundamentally a game we needed to win to amass enough points to do so. The fact that 3 minutes separated this from being one of the worst results i can remember to being "3 points gained" does not fill me with much enjoyment at the minute. The manner of our win, and performance, was terrible. If this had come on the back of some good results i could put it down as a blip, but the showing of the team at the Euro's combined with what i believe were some very poor performances in the qualifiers leave me believing that this will be the "status quo" for Irish performances under Trap and i don't believe we will be any where near as lucky as we were tonight.

I completely agree with you but maybe I'm hopelessly hopeful or naive or what ever you want to call it, I'd rather win ugly like tonight than go down in a blaze of glory like Paris three years ago that's all.

Personally I don't enjoy Traps style like most don't, I beg for change but it ain't goin' to happen as long as he's in charge, and as long as I'm Irish I'm drawn to support Ireland weather we're stinking the place out or playing beautiful football, that's just it for me.

If we went on winning ugly through out this campaign and qualified (as highly unlikely as it is) I'd be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think the only way the FAI will drop Trap is if the fans stay away from the home games. People need to show their displeasure by hitting the FAI in the pocket.

That might convince Delaney, god forbid he might have to take another pay decrease!

trappatoni is such a ****e manager, when andrews comes back from suspension he will go straight back into the team ahead of mccarthy.

leaving out mclean is criminal, is there any manager in the world who would pick cox over mclean?, trappatoni reminds me of gerard houllier, dour contrary manager who made baffling decisions like constantly picking heskey over litmanen etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

trappatoni is such a ****e manager, when andrews comes back from suspension he will go straight back into the team ahead of mccarthy.

leaving out mclean is criminal, is there any manager in the world who would pick cox over mclean?, trappatoni reminds me of gerard houllier, dour contrary manager who made baffling decisions like constantly picking heskey over litmanen etc

Hey, bit harsh regarding Andrews- He was the only bright spark from the euros. Anyway he can drop Whelan.

• Advertisement

Hey, bit harsh regarding Andrews- He was the only bright spark from the euros. Anyway he can drop Whelan.

fair enough if andrews replaces whelan, but its criminal if its whelan and andrews in the middle for the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Andrews was our best player at the Euros. Looking at tonights performance, McCarthy wouldn't be ahead of Andrews. Very poor and too much expectation on a average player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Now mccleans in hot water tweet

"Delighted as a fan we got the the win.. Personal level #fuming #f****njoke #embarrassing."

Opinions??

Can you blame him?

He may be kicked out of the squad for Oman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

if that really was mcleans tweet fair play to him im suprised he hasnt said more...

Id be more concerned with sorting out our left back who is leaking us goals every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

godeas16 wrote: »
    Now mccleans in hot water tweet

"Delighted as a fan we got the the win.. Personal level #fuming #f****njoke #embarrassing."

Opinions??

Can you blame him?

He may be kicked out of the squad for Oman.

Must've deleted it again as his last tweet currently is from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I dont think Swansea have a player in there team that would get into the top 4 sides in Prem Lge but what they do do is play the game in the right manner and do it well with a bunch of average players, same can be said for Norwich last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Talk of McClean being kicked out of Irish squad after his foul mouthed tirade after the match against the manager. Calling Trap's decision to exclude him as a "****ing joke" #fuming. He also said, " for everyone asking no i am not sick! #100%fit just managers decision.. "

This is a real mess and is sure to grab some headlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

eigrod wrote: »
    Must've deleted it again as his last tweet currently is from yesterday

Yes it was deleted story here http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0907/336776-mcclean-vents-frustration-on-twitter/

buyer95 wrote: »
    Talk of McClean being kicked out of Irish squad after his foul mouthed tirade after the match against the manager. Calling Trap's decision to exclude him as a "****ing joke" #fuming. He also said, " for everyone asking no i am not sick! #100%fit just managers decision.. "

This is a real mess and is sure to grab some headlines

Has the makings of a good player. But by Jesus hes cow ****e for brains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wales have been in development mode for coming on 10 years.

That's because it takes a long time to bring through players. We're still playing James Collins at the back.

It's only in the last few years that Allen, Taylor, Ramsey, Matthews, Williams, Bale, Richards, Ledley etc have broken through and we were a much better team with them involved. Everything has gone downhill since Speed died though. :(

As we nurture more young talented, technically gifted players, instead of producing more Collins's, Robinsons and Fletchers, we improve. Our phenomenal rise under Speed showed that. Now we have the dinosaur regime of Coleman all the good work is undone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

For me personally, this qualification campaign should be about bringing through new players for the next 2/3 qualification campaigns more than actual qualification. If qualification for Brazil came about, then that's a huge bonus. James McClean should be central to that. It makes absolutely no sense to be plahing Glenn Whelan in this campaign. Very disappointed in Trappatoni.

G.K. wrote: »
    That's because it takes a long time to bring through players. We're still playing James Collins at the back.

It's only in the last few years that Allen, Taylor, Ramsey, Matthews, Williams, Bale, Richards, Ledley etc have broken through and we were a much better team with them involved. Everything has gone downhill since Speed died though. :(

As we nurture more young talented, technically gifted players, instead of producing more Collins's, Robinsons and Fletchers, we improve. Our phenomenal rise under Speed showed that. Now we have the dinosaur regime of Coleman all the good work is undone though.

With the greatest of respect though mate, as much as Speed's work was lauded (and ye did have some great performances under him) you were nowhere near qualifying. There was no pressure under Speed, and it would have been harder to translate that level into tonight's game when there is hope and expectation on the table as opposed to an 'anything is a bonus' context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

LB C.Clark
    RM A.Pilkington
    CM J.Mccarthy

and yes not all of them play for top premiership clubs as you call them , But if you look at the premiership outside of the top 2 there isn't a massive gulf in class as there used to be, Southampton were unlucky not to beat Man U and Man City in 2 of there first 3 games (a team just up from the championship aswell) and to say none of those lads could play attractive football is absolute and utter bollox, to beat the likes of Kazahkstan who as alot of ppl here alluded to alot of them couldn't beat St.Pats for ****e sake.....Trap was a fantastic manager at club level but its proven he's dodgy as **** with international level ...do any of you even remember that he failed in two tournaments to get Italy to even the quarter finals of a major tournament , something they usually achieve quite comfortably..and this qualification group is already a write up so it would be a perfect time to breed the newer players not that they'd even need breeding
    dsmythy wrote: »

The thing that annoys me most about Trap is is he wont give many lads a chance.With a few changes there could be a big improvement without totally disregarding some players.

Westwood

O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Wilson--

Whelan---McCarthy---Andrews---

--McLean
    McGeady

Long

That would be my preferred 11.
    O'Shea is no longer an option at RB but has done well at CB for Sunderland.O'Brien has been very good for West Ham since his move and imo is our best option there with Coleman another option if he starts playing RB for Everton.
    Ward just isn't up to standard and Wilson should be given an opprtunity.
    St. Ledger and Clark are both in with a shout at centre back along with Duffy when he makes a proper breakthrough at his club.
    With Gibson gone I think the above 3 in MF are our best combination but would like to see Meyler,Hoolahan,McCann and Hendrick get call ups/game time.
    Would like to see will Pilkington join us and if he does we have decent options on the wings .McGeady,McLean,Coleman,Pilkington and maybe Brady.No way should we be playing strikers out there..

Upfront I think we should go with one upfront,plenty of options on the bench for 1 upfront or if we go with 2.Keane has been an excellent player for us but I dont think he can operate upfront on his own but would be good to have on the bench or when we play 442.

Trap is hanging around until the end of this campaign so we have to get over it.With a few tweaks to the team and tactics we could improve from the shambles of the past few months.Hopefully todays game forces Trap into making a few changes but im not too confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Watching the studio after the game today was pathetic, the two old farts ganging up on Richie, spouting bull**** about getting points on the board. They would have sung a completely different song if not for those two goals at the end.

The last 3 minutes of a game where Kazakhstan (I repeat... KAZAKHSTAN) got the better of Ireland are supposed to sway a sane person's opinion about the manager, the style of play and the overall lack of talent on the team?

This fantastical talk of "anything can happen in a football game" and Kazakhstan could beat anyone at any time is exactly the hopeful and dreamy tactic used by Trap and Ireland to try to win games. Kick it up the field and hope that Buddha, Moses and an army of saints come down from the heavens and steer the ball onto Doyle's head and move it towards the goal.

Kazakhstan should have been beaten comprehensively, 3-0, with Westwood picking his nose for the whole game cause he's got nothing to do. Instead, players from supposedly "the greatest league in the world" show their worth to the whole nation.
    Richie was right in trying to show the bottom line of what happened. Kazakhstan nearly beat Ireland, and somehow we're supposed to be glad and celebrate the fact that on this magical night when Borat and co. happened to play the game of their lives, Ireland showed the determination to keep trying to score with Doyle's shot for the second goal being the SECOND effort on target in the second half? How is that determination?

What Giles is talking about, in terms of "anything can happen in a football game" is that a freak result such as a 1-1 draw between Kazakhstan and Portugal for example takes place and Portugal have 27 efforts on target to Kazakhstan's 2, and two penalties saved as well as a goal disallowed that should have stood. It takes nothing away from Portugal's performance, just means they were unlucky and it was a freak result. Doesn't mean Kazakhstan are good all of a sudden.

If we took 10 year old kids from Germany and 10 year olds from Kazakhstan and had them play an hour long game of football, who would you expect to win? That's right, the Germans, because football is more ingrained in their culture, players from their national team play for top clubs in Europe and their country has played in and won major tournaments which led to the development of the game at grassroot level. Why should it be any different with Ireland? And especially professional players? Maybe they haven't won the World Cup like the Germans, but at least some of them have played in Champions League. The Kazakhs play in Kazakhstan. KAZAKHSTAN.

It comes down to the manager, because he's the one that picks the team, the formation, assigns players' roles and most of all has the ability to change things around as he's watching the game on the sideline, if he sees something isn't working. Trap is the football equivalent of a person watching another person having a heart attack and calling the fire brigade instead of the ambulance. Noone is doubting his credentials, but he's a dinosaur.

If he sees Ireland at the level, where 3 points against Kazakhstan aren't
    taken for granted and it becomes a struggle to even get more than three shots on target, then why stick with a manager whose bar is set so low? It isn't good for anybody.

P.S. Flying so far to the East also has a worse effect on the body than flying to the West (well documented with Japanese MMA fighters performing poorly in the USA). This could kind of be used as an excuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement