Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kazakhstan v Ireland match thread - 7/9/12 - 17:00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Forgot that they were in our group. Thought this was only a friendly.

Come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

RATM wrote: »
    2-1 to Kazakstan- Irish team is totally demoralised after Euro 2012 and it will show on Friday.

not a chance

1-0 Ireland, like the start of the last campaign . McCarthy to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No chance we lose, I can see a draw though, especially with our defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I always thought, being a bit out of the loop all the way over here, that this Oman friendly was a warm up for the Kazakh match, not a follower. What in the flaming fcuk is the point in playing a match against a side who are hardly going to be a comparable opponent to model our plan of attack against that little side Germany the next month? Ukraine, Turkey, Switzerland, Greece, Holland if we were lucky, someone like that perhaps? Surely we could have had a friendly run out against someone similarly....efficient? To my knowledge this is the first, last and likely only time we will ever meet Oman. Waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

What in the flaming fcuk is the point in playing a match against a side who are hardly going to be a comparable opponent to model our plan of attack against that little side Germany the next month?

What's the point of playing 6 friendlies in London in the last eight years against teams who aren't England (and then another one in Liege)? Money. That's all the FAI care about. I'm sure they'd be flying the Ireland team out to Arabia and the Asia too anyone was willing to pay them. We're fast becoming the "poor mans Brazil" , will play any pointless fixture, anywhere, for a fee.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    What's the point of playing 6 friendlies in London in the last eight years against teams who aren't England (and then another one in Liege)? Money. That's all the FAI care about. I'm sure they'd be flying the Ireland team out to Arabia and the Asia too anyone was willing to pay them. We're fast becoming the "poor mans Brazil" , will play anywhere for a fee.

I have to be honest, I think it is a great idea that they play neutral friendlies abroad- it gives the Irish abroad a night out and at the same time gets enough foreign fans to give off the atmosphere of it being an away game (would love if they would come all the way to Australia but of course that is pretty much never going to happen).

But the above is only relevant if we are playing a team we can learn something off. I am not too sure exactly how many Oman DVDs Trap watched before deciding that they play like a mish mash of teams in our group :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

And with that, there is a ad on my screen for the ROI v Oman game in Craven Cottege!

Well, they have to pay Delaney's ridiculous wages somehow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I always thought, being a bit out of the loop all the way over here, that this Oman friendly was a warm up for the Kazakh match, not a follower. What in the flaming fcuk is the point in playing a match against a side who are hardly going to be a comparable opponent to model our plan of attack against that little side Germany the next month? Ukraine, Turkey, Switzerland, Greece, Holland if we were lucky, someone like that perhaps? Surely we could have had a friendly run out against someone similarly....efficient? To my knowledge this is the first, last and likely only time we will ever meet Oman. Waste of time.

Is there any proof that playing a friendly against a side "comparable" to your upcoming opponent is better than playing a friendly against a lower quality nation which could be seen as a confidence boosting excercise? Without any proof it's all very speculative. People are on a negative Ireland/Trap buzz at the minute and seeing everthing in an unreasonably negative light.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    . People are on a negative Ireland/Trap buzz at the minute and seeing everthing in an unreasonably negative light.

He has over the last year or so fallen out with most of the more promising of the new generation. I would not be surprised if Hunt, Gibson and Foley refuse any more Trap call ups. I am all for clamping down on any prima donna behaviour but you get the feeling this is more to do with player rebellion over tactics and line ups that they feel are completely pointless and counter productive.

He has over the last year or so fallen out with most of the more promising of the new generation. I would not be surprised if Hunt, Gibson and Foley refuse any more Trap call ups. I am all for clamping down on any prima donna behaviour but you get the feeling this is more to do with player rebellion over tactics and line ups that they feel are completely pointless and counter productive.

More speculation, and Hunt- promising new generation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ukraine, Turkey, Switzerland, Greece, Holland if we were lucky, someone like that perhaps? Surely we could have had a friendly run out against someone similarly....efficient? To my knowledge this is the first, last and likely only time we will ever meet Oman. Waste of time.

One suspects the good football citizens of Turkey, Holland, Greece, Ukraine and Switzerland would be similarly unenthuasiastic over a friendly with Ireland :)

More to the point those you've mentioned (as with most European countries) have World Cup qualifiers next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On the note of Delaney's big wage, a friend of mine plays for the Irish u21s and he posted up a pic on facebook of his hotel room in Hungary and im not joking you ye wouldnt swing a cat in the place, not even basic accom, I wonder would Delaney sleep in that room!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

its grand walters has been studying apps... all the info on what were up against.. walters hattrick..sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

0-0 draw for me lad's unfortunately :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I fancy us to edge this 1-0. Cox on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ireland have an extremely attacking team on paper. Only one midfielder recognised for his defensive/tackling work. It reminds me a bit of the team picked for the Cyprus debacle a few years ago, but I think the Kazaks are a few grades below the Cypriots.

I have had doubts as to whether McCarthy could make it as part of a 2 man central midfield. This is his opportunity to show he can get up and down the pitch and get his tackles in, as well as being good on the ball and using it well. Hopefully it goes well for him and its the beginning of him being a regular cog in the team.

I can understand McClean not playing if he has really been ill. But hopefully he gets a run. I'd have had Coleman and McGeady on the wings, but it'll be interesting to see the exact role he has in mind for Cox.

I've no problem with the strikeforce picked. Marginal calls, but Doyle's form is below his best. Toss up between who's in better form between Walters and Long, I think Walters might shade it. Robbie is still our best finisher, but I'm hoping he's the one now who usually gets taken off first, which will give Long a genuine chance to displace him. I don't think it'll be too long before its a Walters-Long partnership, and I'd expect them to work well together.

Defence worries me, but hopefully it won't matter too much against this opposition. I thought Ward and O'Shea were both appallingly bad in the euros. O'Shea is capable of better than that, I'm not sure Ward is. I'd have SReid and Wilson as full backs if it was up to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping a winning start to the campaign, we're a couple of levels better then the Kazaks and we have to go out and win to chalk up the first points of the group.

Dropping points to lesser teams in this group will cost us, so we have to make sure to get wins in places like this and hope Sweden/Germany slip up.

2-0 this evening I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

a boring, difficult to watch, 2-1 win for Ireland methinks.

Ireland have an extremely attacking team on paper. Only one midfielder recognised for his defensive/tackling work. It reminds me a bit of the team picked for the Cyprus debacle a few years ago, but I think the Kazaks are a few grades below the Cypriots.
    Not sure what you mean by that, it's the exact same set-up as he always uses. If anything, it's even more defensive than usual, because we don't have Andrews to make the runs forward or take shots from distance. McCarthy plays all his football as a defensive midfielder these days. Trap will have McGeady and McClean practically playing as full backs because O'Shea and Ward are so awful.

I suspect we will struggle to score and will be lucky to make it out of there with a 1-0 win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have had doubts as to whether McCarthy could make it as part of a 2 man central midfield. This is his opportunity to show he can get up and down the pitch and get his tackles in, as well as being good on the ball and using it well. Hopefully it goes well for him and its the beginning of him being a regular cog in the team.

I can understand McClean not playing if he has really been ill. But hopefully he gets a run. I'd have had Coleman and McGeady on the wings, but it'll be interesting to see the exact role he has in mind for Cox.

I've no problem with the strikeforce picked. Marginal calls, but Doyle's form is below his best. Toss up between who's in better form between Walters and Long, I think Walters might shade it. Robbie is still our best finisher, but I'm hoping he's the one now who usually gets taken off first, which will give Long a genuine chance to displace him. I don't think it'll be too long before its a Walters-Long partnership, and I'd expect them to work well together.

Defence worries me, but hopefully it won't matter too much against this opposition. I thought Ward and O'Shea were both appallingly bad in the euros. O'Shea is capable of better than that, I'm not sure Ward is. I'd have SReid and Wilson as full backs if it was up to me.

McCarthy plays a defensive role for Wigan he will have no problems. McClean had the flu and reported on twitter he is 100% and was dropped. Ward has been awful dont understand him playing. Ask any Sunderland O Shea is a liability at full back. When playing at cb he plays well. It pains me to see that from the players we have available this lineup is nowhere near our best team.

What we could see if Trap opened his eyes.

Westwood

Coleman O Shea Clark Wilson

Gibson McCarthy Whelan

McGeady McClean

Keane/Long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

RATM wrote: »
    2-1 to Kazakstan- Irish team is totally demoralised after Euro 2012 and it will show on Friday.
    how do you know that they are demoralised?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    McCarthy plays a defensive role for Wigan he will have no problems. McClean had the flu and reported on twitter he is 100% and was dropped. Ward has been awful dont understand him playing. Ask any Sunderland O Shea is a liability at full back. When playing at cb he plays well. It pains me to see that from the players we have available this lineup is nowhere near our best team.

What we could see if Trap opened his eyes.

Westwood

Coleman O Shea Clark Wilson

Gibson McCarthy Whelan

McGeady McClean

Keane/Long
    Agree except I wouldn't have Whelan anywhere near the team. His time has passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Agree except I wouldn't have Whelan anywhere near the team. His time has passed.

I know but who else is their maybe meyler. I just think that team i posted would qualify through the group. I actually think we have our best squad in years and quite shockingly the better you are the less likely you are to start. I know this is not a gambling forum but when i seen Irealand 4/5 to beat Kazakhstan i thought my eyes were gone mad. But after seeing our defence and listening to other people i actually do worry we might only a draw. The fact of the matter is we are sending a team to the mighty Kazakstan that are likely to draw or scrape a win by a goal thats not good enough. With the players we can choose from we should be quite comfortable against these. Lets face it we cant beat these away then i dont see how we can qualify from this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Anything less than 3pts and the advantage is with Austria and Sweden for 2nd place and that play off spot.

Think we can get 3pts today. Irish football needs to see a confident response from our performances in the Euros, but weather we will see a change to the way things are done under Trap remains to be seen.

People even half expecting a change in philosophy are deluding themselves. He's played this way for ~40 years of very successful management and ain't going to change now. I'd imagine Trap is fairly oblivious to the media pressure, he's dealt with far higher profile situations of adversity in the past and proven people wrong. Goes with the territory of playing negative football that when things go wrong(not that I think they have really considering our squad stength or lack there of) that this style gets slammed far more than when a positive style fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I know they're not 100% accurate, but Kazakhstan are up 3 places in the FIFA rankings......to 142!! That's behind the likes of Northern Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Thailand and Moldova!

Ireland are 26th.

Accurate or not, if we don't beat them comfortably, then regardless of what anyone says about morale, tactics, formation etc, we have a problem., and I think that problem can be easily enough identified by anyone on here!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I know they're not 100% accurate, but Kazakhstan are up 3 places in the FIFA rankings......to 142!! That's behind the likes of Northern Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Thailand and Moldova!

Ireland are 26th.

Accurate or not, if we don't beat them comfortably, then regardless of what anyone says about morale, tactics, formation etc, we have a problem., and I think that problem can be easily enough identified by anyone on here!

We haven't lost to any teams ranked lower than us during Traps reign in competitive games, not a huge amount of evidence there that we don't get results against these teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rekop dog wrote: »
    We haven't lost to any teams ranked lower than us during Traps reign in competitive games, not a huge amount of evidence there that we don't get results against these teams.

Yup

Cyprus wins home and away
    Georgia wins home and away
    Macedonia wns home and away
    Andorra wins home and away
    Two draws with Montenagro (although they've since shown their seeding was not an accurate representation of their abilities)
    Two wins over Armenia as well (who I am convinced will be providing more surprises in this campaign).

It would be Trap's first real slip-up against a relative minnow if we didn't get all three points tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

@RTEsoccer: Retweet if you know someone who was in Poland but probably doesn't know today's match is on..... #rtesoccer

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :pac:

You sound surprised?...were you in Poland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The_B_Man wrote: »

Ireland are 26th.

Can't see anything other than a win myself.

I was just checking down thru Kazakhstan's home results and they've had the odd notable result here and there (v Serbia, Belgium, Austria) but they also lose A LOT and generally end up very low down the tables. If we come away today with a draw or loss then there is something seriously wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Have a feeling today is the day our luck may run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Just looking on soccerway there. Ireland haven't lost away from home for 5 years. Better record than I thought.

Not really all that relevant to today's match, just something that caught my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

No Eamon in studio, I find myself strangely disappointed :eek:

Just looking on soccerway there. Ireland haven't lost away from home for 5 years. Better record than I thought.

Not really all that relevant to today's match, just something that caught my eye.

Well it can be relevant for team talks, especially in a team whose confidence may need rebuilding after the Euros, no getting away from the fact it's a fantastic record, not many nations could boast a longer unbeaten away run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Two words - Shay and Dunne.

Both will be hugely missed in these tough away trips...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We need a win. Draw or worse and its uphill all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cox on the wing instead of McClean.

Trap, you are a overpaid clown.

• Advertisement

Cox on the wing instead of McClean.

Trap, you are a overpaid clown.

you only realise that now?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought the game kicked off at 1700?

Even though the team sucks, hopefully we can come out of this with the win. The ideal circumstance is that McClean nabs the winner and cements his spot in the first eleven! Whelan to hopefully get abducted by the Kazakhstani mafia and to never be heard from again.

it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

thats right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Will we see an attacking new Ireland or the sit back and nick a 1 nil win the usual Ireland

There can be no excuse for not getting three points this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

it is.

Oh, since Bill was going on about the terrific support, i assumed it was over.

this will be up with Macedonia 97 and Cyprus 06 if we dont win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Anyone getting the game live on RTE player, I can only get the audio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They look Asian!

4:3 telly is the standard there

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

they are asian!

• Advertisement
Advertisement