Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level English & Irish

• 02-09-2012 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Ok, so at the moment looks like I'm going to be doing leaving externally so limited with subjects.

So therefore have to do English and Irish ( aaaah!)

Ah hopefully I'll be ok :) I was looking at the English Paper 1
    And it says you do either a or b from Section 1 , and 2 and I guess section
    3?

Also have to write an essay I see.

Any other tips for English. What single and comparative texts are ye using?

My Irish is fairly rusty, from what I remember I did Thig Na Thit Orm back then.
    I was looking at Sec there and now you recite a poem and read about pictures?
    Where could I get these pictures?

Does An dTuigeann tu include everything or do I need a separate book for poetry?

I'm on phone so can't insert fada's.

Will be doing Honours in both!

Thanks for any help:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

I'm in fifth year and we're doing Macbeth for english, we have to do other texts too, but that was all that was on our booklist so I assume we wont be doing them til sixth year, also the poetry, you have to study 8 poets I think. We have ''New discovery poetry'' for that, haven't used it yet though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Get Gléasnótaí Gaeilge, it goes through the whole course at the beginning of the book and tells you what you have to do. A Thig Ná Tit orm is a good choice, the questions for An Triail can be complicated.
    After that you have 5 poems also.

The amount you can learn off and throw down has been cut. There are now more leading questions and a lot of marks for your spoken Irish, so it's definitely worth it to work on that a lot. Google Sraith Pictiúr 2013 and you may find the ones for next year's LC. If you're looking for 2014 I don't think they're out yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks for that.

This is prob a stupid question but on paper 2 question 2,
    What do I need to have prepared for it? Do I need another text in addition
    To A thig na thit orm?

For the comprehensions, I can just take the answer straight from the text and not change it into my own Irish at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

You definitely cannot take the answer straight from the text in Higher Level, from what I've heard anyway. I dropped to Ordinary because I felt the comprehensions were marked so much easier and in some cases you can take the answer straight from the text. Plus, you do not study a novel for ordinary level Irish.

Also, you do an Oral exam. I think it's worth between 20-25% (not so sure!) altogether. You learn 20 Pictures, you're asked just one by an Examiner and you talk about what is in the picture, plus you'll be asked to read one poem aloud and then just have a conversation with your examiner while it is all being recorded on this freaking tape machine.. Haha, the whole concept really freaked me out!

For English, I'd recommend Key Notes 2013.. amazing! It completely covers Hamlet, your comparative text and all of the poets! (: & like someone above said, Gleansnotai for Irish.

Oh and as for your Irish Paper 2 Q. 2 question, I'm pretty sure you are talking about the short stories. In Higher you learn a specific amount of them, between 3-5 I think? And then you answer on one of them. A Thíg na Tit is the novel only, and a completely different part of the Paper.

Goodluck. ♥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

To clarify the above post, the oral is 40% and you can take the answers straight from the text at HL, I did it this year and got 92/100 so...yeah. Normally it said "Biodh na freagraí i d'fhocail féin" etc but not this year, and I can't see why they'd bring it back in next year.

Advertisement