Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever bought drink for a minor?

• 02-09-2012 5:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭

I was walking down the village this morning minding my own business when this kid came out of no where and asked me to buy him drink. I was kinda shocked by the request since it was a bit early in the day to be drinking and it being a Sunday of all days. I asked the kid had he a drinking problem or something since he seemed a bit nervous and slightly jumpy and I wanted to make sure that he wasn't suicidal but he said that he didn't and that the drink was for his friends.

I felt slightly honoured that the kid would ask me to buy him drink as I feel teenage drinking is a right of passage and the person who provides the drink has a special part to play in this almost religious ceremony.
    I asked the kid for something in return since I wasn't going to risk breaking the law for nothing. So I said to him ''what do I get outta this?'' And he said ''Come on man it's my birthday''. I met his response with silence and he said he that had a couple of euro in his pocket. I decided to hustle this kid and said to him that he would have to do better than that. I said to him ''Everything has its price.''

The kid then pulled out a 20 euro note and gave it to me reluctantly. He said '' you can take ten outta that, just get me two naggins of vodka, the ''five euro ones.'' I was delighted, it was definitly a risk worth taking so into the shop I go with an agreement that I meet the kid in an alleyway after! Unfortunatelty the Pakistani shop assistant informed his Irish co-worker who was in the middle of serving me the two naggins, that it was too early, it being only ten to twelve in the morning, which was news both to me and him.

I went outside and the kid was waiting, not at the agreed spot. I think at first he thought I was about to do a runner and asked for his money back. I explained to him what happened and told him I would give him my number if he wanted me to buy him drink later in the day. He refused saying that he had to be at the train station for 12.40 ''to go and see the match'' and it would not be worth his while so I kissed goodbye to my 10 euros.

So have any of you ever bought drink for a minor or ever remember the day when some dodgy character would buy you drink in the offy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Yes I have. It was junior cert results night and they gave me 40 euro instead of 20. I kept the 20 :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I bought a drink for some miners once. Several of them were under eighteen but screw it if they're old enough to spend 15 hours a day breathing in poisonous dust and gas they're old enough to drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Apart from buying myself and my mates drink when we were under 18, I haven't bought drink for minors in off-licences or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Yes I bought drink for some young girls once under the false promise that I'd get something in return. Fecking young ones conned me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

No, if they paid me enough I would. Everyone has their price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I haven't no. You always see them outside the centra asking people to go in for them, so I just tell them to **** off.

I went outside and the kid was waiting, not at the agreed spot. I think at first he thought I was about to do a runner and asked for his money back. I explained to him what happened and told him I would give him my number if he wanted me to buy him drink later in the day. He refused saying that he had to be at the train station for 12.40 ''to go and see the match'' and it would not be worth his while so I kissed goodbye to my 10 year old.

Aww, what a nice ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ah yeah I do it for the people I know in my area. I always keep the change and take a shot out of the lid of the vodka cause I'm classy :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yes, all the time OP, sure how else do you get them to sleep with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

When I was 18 and some of my friends were still only 17 I would have bought drink for them but I'd never buy drink for random kids on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I have but will only do it for my own flesh and blood. Back in the late 70s when we were in boarding school there was a four year old boy we'd way lay down near the local shop and we'd get him to buy us cigarettes and give him a penny for his trouble. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yes, but only for my 16/17-year old friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Wouldn't buy them smokes though. That sh!ts dangerous.

Wouldn't buy them smokes though. That sh!ts dangerous.

Why, because they might get HIV from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wouldn't buy them booze. Worked in a shop for 7 years and got so much crap off minors and then a lot of crap off adults who saw me sell to someone over 18 who went outside and gave the booze to minors.

Also if the minors died in an accident while drunk the only person who can be blamed is whoever got them the drink.

2 pubs in my home town were closed down for a weekend due to selling to minors. A few guys in the town also got fined a lot of money for buying for minors.

Then on the other side. Ireland has a crippling alcohol problem that starts from a young age. Why contribute to the further downfall of the country. The attitude that it's a right of passage is the reason why people joke about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Yes I would and have done but OP it was very stingy that you were going to take €10 of the lad just for walking into a shop and buying something. Shame on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

i tried but the person in the shop had seen me talking to them and wouldnt serve me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not since I was one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah, sure I'd buy a round for my mates quite often when I was 17 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wasn't me but there was a poster on boards

Local kids hassling people outside the shop.
    Asking nicely is one thing but this was just agression

To save the hassle he takes the 20 euro note and their instruction to ger us a few cans mister

20 cans of Pepsi, one euro each

Legend :cool:

• Advertisement

Based on what people on here are saying it would be a great idea to up the fine for people caught buying for a minor and then setup a bunch of sting operations.

The economy is saved!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Wasn't me but there was a poster on boards

Local kids hassling people outside the shop.
    Asking nicely is one thing but this was just agression

To save the hassle he takes the 20 euro note and their instruction to ger us a few cans mister

20 cans of Pepsi, one euro each

Legend :cool:

Id rather take the 20 euro, go into the shop, and then say to the shop keeper, "I'll pay you 5 euro if I can use your back entrace".

/me waits for Biggins to spot that ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Saw that in a tv show once. They got kids to go into shops to try to buy booze, secretly filming, if they sold it to them then the main camera would come in and indict them or whatever.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Saw that in a tv show once. They got kids to go into shops to try to buy booze, secretly filming, if they sold it to them then the main camera would come in and indict them or whatever.

It makes a lot of sense. It could be a form of punishment for kids that are caught drinking underage. Let them spend their weekends working these stings.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It makes a lot of sense. It could be a form of punishment for kids that are caught drinking underage. Let them spend their weekends working these stings.
    Nice idea but totally unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

No I haven't and wouldn't.

People on drink do stupid things, minors on drink d even stupider thing, so if something happens, the question will be asked who got the drink for you.

Then your bolloxed.

Unfortunatelty the Pakistani shop assistant informed his Irish co-worker who was in the middle of serving me the two naggins, that it was too early, it being only ten to twelve in the morning, which was news both to me and him.

That 12:30 Sunday rule is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

no but I spilled some on one once, does this count.

Nice idea but totally unworkable.

Why? Spend a little less time setting up speed traps a little more on this. Generate more revenue for the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

My local Centra had this minor (who apparently looked about 22, although he was 16) come in before looking for a bottle of wine. The cashier (believing him to be well over 18) gave it to him no bother.

Next minute in comes garda John Q ranting and raving to staff about how they sold booze to HIS underage son, threatening them and whatnot. The miserable, nosey aul cuunt was actually going around performing entrapment on local businesses with his son.

What a gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

According to the rules for the US navy personal in Dublin this weekend a 18 year old could buy a 20 year old a drink and be be guilty of supplying a minor.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    The miserable, nosey aul cuunt was actually going around performing entrapment on local businesses with his son.

That is not entrapment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yes, I bought drink for some guys I new when I was 15, I looked over 18 at the time and was served in the local off licence all the time.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That is not entrapment

Ah here. The lad looked well over age, just so happened to be under 18 and the son of the guard who came in outraged a minute later.

You're telling me he wasn't out to pull a fast one on the staff in Centra ?

Ah here. The lad looked well over age, just so happened to be under 18 and the son of the guard who came in outraged a minute later.

You're telling me he wasn't out to pull a fast one on the staff in Centra ?

It's not entrapment.

• Advertisement

It's not entrapment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

"In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1]"

Now if the son didn't look so mature for his age, I'd say it would be unlikely the staff wouldn't have asked for I.D. I think it's obvious the garda was exploiting that.

Why? Spend a little less time setting up speed traps a little more on this. Generate more revenue for the Gardai.

First off, a minor is caught in possession with alcohol. The Gardai signs the minor up for the "sting operation" at the weekend? How does it work? The Guard says "Now young man, make sure you are on the alcohol sting bus at 9am on Saturday morning, or there'll be consequences"?

Thats just the start of the problems with the idea.

No offence meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

If there's grass on the pitch and all that!

Generally don't bother but have bother some minors drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

"In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1]"

Now if the son didn't look so mature for his age, I'd say it would be unlikely the staff wouldn't have asked for I.D. I think it's obvious the garda was exploiting that.

You would say isn't a very strong argument. The kid was 16 years old. How do you know for sure the cop even got his kid to do it? What if he caught his son after buying the booze?
    First off, a minor is caught in possession with alcohol. The Gardai signs the minor up for the "sting operation" at the weekend? How does it work? The Guard says "Now young man, make sure you are on the alcohol sting bus at 9am on Saturday morning, or there'll be consequences"?

Thats just the start of the problems with the idea.

No offence meant.

None taken. You are right. The punishments would need to be addressed. Fine Gael has proposed a boot camp type punishment for minors, that would be a good starting point.

My neighbour in Galway was 23 and had 51 previous convictions. Bringing kids home and dropping them off to their parents who think it's just kids having fun isn't a punishment.

You would say isn't a very strong argument. The kid was 16 years old. How do you know for sure the cop even got his kid to do it? What if he caught his son after buying the booze?

The fact the son looked more than old enough to fool any cashier and the guard coming in literally straight away is way too much a coincidence. I doubt the son of a guard would buy a big bottle of wine under age while his father was right outside the door.

• Advertisement

The fact the son looked more than old enough to fool any cashier and the guard coming in literally straight away is way too much a coincidence. I doubt the son of a guard would buy a big bottle of wine under age while his father was right outside the door.

You would need to prove that to make the case it's entrapment. Also did the shop ever sell to minors before? Could they find some other minor they had sold to before?

You would need to prove that to make the case it's entrapment. Also did the shop ever sell to minors before? Could they find some other minor they had sold to before?

Well yeah but the circumstances would suggest it anyway. No I wouldn't say so. All they have is wine.

Well yeah but the circumstances would suggest it anyway. No I wouldn't say so. All they have is wine.

You sure he didn't do it because he had been told that a minor got served there before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No, and I never would.

My neighbour in Galway was 23 and had 51 previous convictions. Bringing kids home and dropping them off to their parents who think it's just kids having fun isn't a punishment.

We might have had the same neighbour. Ours was also about 23 and had convictions in the 40s or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nope, been asked a good few times too, just usually laugh it off.

No way in hell I'm gonna be some way responsible for some kid getting killed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I bought some Australian kids a few cans of JD and Coke or some other muck when I was over there. Even though there were signs every where saying you'd be fined $3,000.00 for doing so.

I wouldn't do it for an Irish youth but wanted to **** up Australia a little/add to their social woes. hahaha f*ck you, Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I bought drink before for friends who were under 18, because I'm a good few months older than most of my friends.I would never buy any for randomers because it could cause serious problems.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I did. They were 16 and I was 15. Nice bit of pocket money made that day... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement