Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever bought drink for a minor?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes, but in my defense I was trying to get her drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I did at a concert once for my sister, her boyfriend and a male friend of hers, F**k it we were at a gig. Gotta have a beer at a concert they were all 17 so practically legal. Wouldn't buy beer for a stranger hanging around an off license though, some underagers cant hold their drink even if they drink a little, wouldn't want to be responsible if they did anything stupid thanks to the drink I got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I was in the Point at a gig when I was 20, and walked up to the bar to get a pint. Got told they couldn't serve me if I was under 21, even though I had ID. So I walked up to some bloke who was in his 40's, there with his son, explained what had happened, showed him my ID and asked would he go up and get me a pint.

Felt about 16 asking, but he was sound and got it for me!

BOF666 wrote: »
    I was in the Point at a gig when I was 20, and walked up to the bar to get a pint. Got told they couldn't serve me if I was under 21, even though I had ID. So I walked up to some bloke who was in his 40's, there with his son, explained what had happened, showed him my ID and asked would he go up and get me a pint.

Felt about 16 asking, but he was sound and got it for me!

Happened me to at a Judas Priest concert in the o2 and I was 20 then too, was my first time in the o2, went up to the bar and my tongue was hanging out for a pint, I ask the barwoman for a pint of carlsberg I think it was because they had f**k all else there, barwoman says "how old are you?", I reach for the I.D and just say to her "I'm 20" she says "Its over 21s" and my face dropped and I walked off disgusted. Gave the money to my 28 year old friend and got my pint, felt the same way asking him but was happy out for the gig then. Just had 2 pints as I didn't want him going back and forth getting pints as my mate wasn't much of a drinker. Pain in the arse this over 21's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Happened me to at a Judas Priest concert in the o2 and I was 20 then too, was my first time in the o2, went up to the bar and my tongue was hanging out for a pint, I ask the barwoman for a pint of carlsberg I think it was because they had f**k all else there, barwoman says "how old are you?", I reach for the I.D and just say to her "I'm 20" she says "Its over 21s" and my face dropped and I walked off disgusted. Gave the money to my 28 year old friend and got my pint, felt the same way asking him but was happy out for the gig then. Just had 2 pints as I didn't want him going back and forth getting pints as my mate wasn't much of a drinker. Pain in the arse this over 21's business.

I just went back up to a different barman when I got down to the last quarter of my pint, once he saw I already had a pint he didn't ask my age, just gave me another one! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

When I was in my early 20's I went to the offy for teenagers who asked me, to repay society for the trips to the offy that lads made for me back in my day. But my debt to society has been repaid and I would not any more. It is a right of passage though, and we all have a responsability to make sure our children can get drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I did for minor me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

My mates younger sister asked me to get her and her friends some drink one day when I was walking through the town.
    I said yeah no bother. They wanted 12 cans of Fosters and a bottle of Linden Village.
    I then refused on the grounds I'd be too embarresed to buy such piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

e_e wrote: »
    No, and I never would.

Same here. I've been asked a few times, and said No straight out, and been called names for not buying beer or cigarettes for them.

PS: I am disappointed by the casual attitude a lot of posters have here about minors drinking. However, I don't care enough to go on about it or to try and convince anyone how they are wrong. I am disappointed, and I hope some day the country will mature enough to look at the alcoholism just like how smoking and smokers are being treated now - some day soon, I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sometimes for a niece or nephew at a wedding or something but I wouldn't go into a shop and get it for a stranger.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I was walking down the village this morning minding my own business when this kid came out of no where and asked me to buy him drink. I was kinda shocked by the request since it was a bit early in the day to be drinking and it being a Sunday of all days. I asked the kid had he a drinking problem or something since he seemed a bit nervous and slightly jumpy and I wanted to make sure that he wasn't suicidal but he said that he didn't and that the drink was for his friends.

I felt slightly honoured that the kid would ask me to buy him drink as I feel teenage drinking is a right of passage and the person who provides the drink has a special part to play in this almost religious ceremony.
    I asked the kid for something in return since I wasn't going to risk breaking the law for nothing. So I said to him ''what do I get outta this?'' And he said ''Come on man it's my birthday''. I met his response with silence and he said he that had a couple of euro in his pocket. I decided to hustle this kid and said to him that he would have to do better than that. I said to him ''Everything has its price.''

The kid then pulled out a 20 euro note and gave it to me reluctantly. He said '' you can take ten outta that, just get me two naggins of vodka, the ''five euro ones.'' I was delighted, it was definitly a risk worth taking so into the shop I go with an agreement that I meet the kid in an alleyway after! Unfortunatelty the Pakistani shop assistant informed his Irish co-worker who was in the middle of serving me the two naggins, that it was too early, it being only ten to twelve in the morning, which was news both to me and him.

I went outside and the kid was waiting, not at the agreed spot. I think at first he thought I was about to do a runner and asked for his money back. I explained to him what happened and told him I would give him my number if he wanted me to buy him drink later in the day. He refused saying that he had to be at the train station for 12.40 ''to go and see the match'' and it would not be worth his while so I kissed goodbye to my 10 euros.

So have any of you ever bought drink for a minor or ever remember the day when some dodgy character would buy you drink in the offy?

There's literally something in every one of those paragraphs that set off massive alarm bells for me. You need to be assesed by a psychiatrist I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

No, i never have

Never have, never would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Don't remember ever doing it in Ireland. But when I was 21 my girlfriend was 20 so I bought drink for a 20 year old minor on the regular. Ridiculous law.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I did when I was eighteen on saint Patrick's day. They were about 15/16 and I made ten euro :) wouldn't do it again though, not from morals or anything, just f**k getting caught!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Halfpan

I've never bought drink for someone I didn't know. But when I was 18, I would've bought drink for 16 or 17 year old friends. I've also had to buy drink for people older than me because they weren't carrying ID. That felt a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The casual attitude to underage drinking in this thread is somewhat concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The casual attitude to underage drinking in this thread is somewhat concerning.

I fully agree, my teenage daughter (14) came home drunk one Saturday afternoon. I put her to bed then had it out with her.

Turns out she has been 'fishing' for cider with her mate. I was furious. I would not have minded so much had she been at a mates house and booze was handed around, but deliberately going and getting someone to buy for them.

All sorts going through my head, two 14 year olds obligating themselves to an adult stranger.

I was also raging that some arsehole had decided that he would allow a 14 year old unsupervised access to alcohol.

In the US buying alcohol for a minor is a Class 4 felony; a felony conviction in the US is a very, very serious matter. In Ireland, a €4000 fine.
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Based on what people on here are saying it would be a great idea to up the fine for people caught buying for a minor and then setup a bunch of sting operations.

The economy is saved!

I think they should certainly do this, and up the penalty to very heavy fine and a suspended prison term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I dislike this whole culture's obsession with alcohol in general, so of course I'm not going to force it on kids. Hell I'd think twice about throwing my own money away on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would've bought booze for my brother when he was 16/17 alright but never for the little scrotes that hang around outside off-licenses looking for an idiot to incriminate themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Absolutely never. They'll spend enough time in hungover stupors as adults, or regretting their drunken mistakes, or growing beer guts. Youth is far too important to be spent in a drug or alcohol induced glaze, in my opinion.

Besides, at that age, many of them are far too irresponsible to handle alcohol ; the difference between them and irresponsible adults is that we can't do anything about the irresponsible adults.

This phenomenon of adults buying alcohol for kids really bothers me, but not quite as much as adults buying them cigarettes. Look at them, they're healthy 17 year olds, why do you wish to turn their lungs black and wheezy; for what:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

No! , underage teenagers do not need the fear... plus I'd only spend the night worrying if they were ok :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I did when i was 18, but never for randoms. It was always for friends that were 17ish. However, when I turned 19 I developed a holier than thou attitude and stopped.

I also worked in an off license when I was 17 (now illegal, wasn't back then). It was hilarious when underagers would come in. The same story would be handed out every time they were asked for ID: "But I'm 19! I've been coming here for two years!". No, I have never seen you here before AND you are a year below me in school. GTFO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I'd buy drink for my 17 year old sister, but I don't buy her more than what she's able to drink - I'd never buy her a shoulder of vodka or anything. She's nearly 18, and I never bought it for her until recently. I never buy drink for random kids, and very rarely for my sister's friends.

I would never buy a minor cigarettes though. I usually won't even buy my parents cigarettes if I'm going to the shop. I know a woman who scabs cigarettes from her 16 year old daughter :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i live beside a pub with an offie during the summer i get the odd sixteen-seventeen year olds ringing the doorbell and asking will i go in for them, i know and am friendly with most of them i live in a village everyone knows everyone. i'll get it for them as long as they aren't 14 , 15, at that age a can will knock you and i am not comfortable knowing i've helped them get in that state but at 17 when a couple of months is all that's separating you from buying it yourself yeah i'll get it for them.Although at work what i get a lot if i go outside for a smoke, is early teens kids asking for a fag the answer is always no. and if they are of the scobe variety i usually get abuse for my moral standards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

My dad and I once got a 17 year old girl ****faced in the pub!

It's less sketchy than it sounds.... sort of.....

It was a staff Christmas party and she was turning 18 the following week. Fair play to her, once she realised how drunk she was getting she started refusing to drink any more, but just had too much drunk already. Had to get one of the girls to get in the taxi with her to make sure she got home okay.

BOF666 wrote: »
    I just went back up to a different barman when I got down to the last quarter of my pint, once he saw I already had a pint he didn't ask my age, just gave me another one! :cool:

S**t if only I thought of that, oh well, ya live ya learn. If I knew to do that when I was under 21 I'd have tried that. No need now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Yes and marijuana. I took a 10% tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some guys asked me the other day to go in the 'offo' for them. They looked old enough 16-17, told them no as I put a case of Heineken in the car. I must be getting old since I dont care if teenagers think I'm 'cool'.

Case was bought in the supermarket, off license was beside where I parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

MaxSteele wrote: »
    My local Centra had this minor (who apparently looked about 22, although he was 16) come in before looking for a bottle of wine. The cashier (believing him to be well over 18) gave it to him no bother.

Next minute in comes garda John Q ranting and raving to staff about how they sold booze to HIS underage son, threatening them and whatnot. The miserable, nosey aul cuunt was actually going around performing entrapment on local businesses with his son.

What a gimp.

I think you will find its the law ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

MaxSteele wrote: »
    My local Centra had this minor (who apparently looked about 22, although he was 16) come in before looking for a bottle of wine. The cashier (believing him to be well over 18) gave it to him no bother.

Next minute in comes garda John Q ranting and raving to staff about how they sold booze to HIS underage son, threatening them and whatnot. The miserable, nosey aul cuunt was actually going around performing entrapment on local businesses with his son.

What a gimp.
    Garda Underage Testing. It's the law. I've been tested myself and happy to say i passed. I have zero pity for businesses who fail it. They know the law and are well aware of these tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kmaciej1

Hey guys I have question that really nurture me. I work in alcohol section in of widely known retailer in Ireland. I always check ID and never sold to minor alkohol. That what had happened to me pulled me to seeking answer. I was serving in offlicence section and there was very long queue. I couldn't see what is going on on the back of section. Once came to me over 35 years old guy who bought 5 beers. When he payed he was leaving shop during that time he gave bag of beer to his "minor" pal. On security desk was sitting manager who watched everything. He had never took action to stop guy or barred him or demand to refund alkohol. I can't see everything or what is going on after transaction. I sold to mature fellow. Manager came after and started giving out me. He said that my fault that I served him. I don't care that but what he supposed to do? I want to marked once again. I hadn't seen both guys at that time cause of the crowd. Is it managers fault that he let them go or didn't took action? Can shop be liable for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

kmaciej1 wrote: »
    Is it managers fault that he let them go or didn't took action?

Yes, you must now go crap on his sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I always tell them Im not over 18.

Somehow they dont believe me.... hmmmm.... *strokes beard*

Advertisement