Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with a slipped disc - help please!!

• 02-09-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Okay, so my OH really wanted a dog, but I was completely opposed to the idea - not fair to leave him alone while we're out/at work etc. But she got her way and we adopted a 6 year old terrier mix called Ollie who's family couldn't keep him anymore. We've had him a month and we've all (including our resident 9 year old girl) fallen in love with him.

On Friday, we noticed he was walking funny, so we took him straight to the vet. He has a herniated or maybe prolapsed disc. Vet prescribed anti-inflammatories and painkillers. (I had a slipped disc myself a few years ago, so I really feel his pain.) He was pretty spaced out due to the shot the vet gave him and slept all night.

Yesterday morning we found he can't move his back legs at all. We rang the vet and she said to just keep on with the meds and see what happens.

My question is: we have to carry him outside so he can go to the toilet, but when I try to lift him, he yelps. It clearly hurts a lot and he even bit me on the arm (lightly). Now I'm afraid he might be holding it in and causing more problems! :( Anyone know what I can do to help him?

I know he'll probably just let go eventually and we'll just clean it up, but I have a feeling it's just making him more distressed. He's already very upset and I even stayed up all night with him last night as he couldn't sleep and cried when we left the room...:( Is there a better way to lift him, rather than just grabbing him under his chest with both hands? Should I really lift him at all? Don't want to make the situation any worse...

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

PS Should also say we just got a training crate today to keep him in one spot. I left the room last night and Ollie tried to crawl after me, breaking through the little temporary pen we built for him and dragging himself by his front legs...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 willonzo

Update: Crisis over, we tried lifting him again this afternoon and it seems like the meds have kicked in. He didn't yelp and we managed to get him to the garden for some fresh air. (Too late for the poo though, had to clean that off the living room floor, but at least we know he's not backed up!)

I'd still welcome any advice people may have about caring for dogs with this condition, if there are any out there. We got him into his cage and he doesn't seem to mind it too much. The vet said he should stay in it for 4 - 6 weeks, so now walks for a while... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just be careful that the meds aren't masking a serious injury. It happened us a few years ago. The dog ruptured a disc but the vet thought it was just a slipped disc and gave him tablets and sure enough upon leaving the vets and for about a day or so afterwards she was back to normal.

However then the crouching and the not being able to move returned. This happend twice before the vet finally admitted there it was something else. She ended up needing surgery. She's fine now but and in all honesty your dog is probably fine, but just keep an eye on him to make sure under the drugs, he's still not in pain but just doesn't know it.

Bes of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 willonzo

Thanks for the advice Jack. We're keeping a close eye on him.

Advertisement