Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not doing a science subject?

• 02-09-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi, I have french, history, business and geography as my choice subjects. Ideally I would have liked to add either Biology or Physics to this, but the timetable in my school made this impossible.

What sort of disadvantage am I putting myself in in not doing one? I want to go into either I.T., or do political science in college. Am I closing myself off from major career opportunities in future? Should I study a science subject by myself outside of school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

They're the exact subjects I did! :P I don't think many, if any, colleges require them to matriculate...and I don't think political science requires it.
    You're not really closing off anything I don't think. Like I qualified for TCD Science because I did geography and HL maths, and so will you if you're doing both at HL... :pac: I didn't need one to get into UCD. Most people just have one as a bit of a token thing, but not a lot of people do a business subject in comparison, so I don't think it actually matters. You could always do one outside school, but I don't think you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Thanks for your response patchy. So you got into a science in college without doing one? I just want to make sure I'm not shutting myself off from a plethora of job opportunities. Does undenominated science require one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

jazz101 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response patchy. So you got into a science in college without doing one? I just want to make sure I'm not shutting myself off from a plethora of job opportunities. Does undenominated science require one?
    No problem :) No no, I'm doing languages, but what I mean is that if I'd had a sudden change of heart I could have done TCD science because they accept geography as one and maths as another (higher level though), but UCD might require a lab science. They list requirements, and the traditional sciences like physics and chemistry are listed of course, but they're not the only ones they take - though you'd probably be a bit stuck without them. But if you're not interested in doing science in college, chances are you won't need one, it's not the same as not having a third language or anything. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

jazz101 wrote: »
    I want to go into either I.T., or do political science in college.

In that case I definitely recommend doing a science subject. I'd advise you to look into doing physics or phys/chem, if you think you'd like those subjects. Maybe you could do a science subject in school if you dropped one of the four subjects you've picked, it would depend on your timetable of course.

Alternatively, you could get a phys/chem book and do minimal (and I mean minimal! :P) study in the subject by yourself in order to get a D3 at ordinary level, which would qualify you for most science courses. It's very easy to get an ordinary level pass in the subject, even in less than a year, so it's worth considering if you don't want to drop a subject. :) Just make sure phys/chem counts as a science subject for the courses you're interested in though, I believe there are a few where it isn't allowed for matriculation.

Advertisement