Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Degree

Options
  • 02-09-2012 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi i was enquiring about the Law degree offered in UCD, it is the BCL and i seen that Trinity offers a LLB, what is the difference and is the LLB better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

It is simply a nomenclature formality.
    For instance, the majority of Science degrees offered by Trinity are a BA (Bachelor of Arts) instead of being a BSc (Bachelor of Science), even though they are obviously Science degrees - it doesn't make a difference.
    The LLB means "Bachelor of Laws", which harkens back to when Law students studied both Civil Law & Canon Law, the two "L"s in the postnominal indicating the two types of law. Trinity like their old names for degree titles, so they kept it on.
    BCL simply means "Bachelor of Civil Law", and it's just as relevant a Law degree as a LLB.

As for how good the course is, I have friends that have done both of them, and both of them seem to love it. So as far as the choice of that goes, it's up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Simply put, it's the same thing.

As an aside, the BCL is the name of a postgraduate law degree from Oxford. There are rumours of people going abroad with "BCL" after their name and not disabusing the fact that they haven't gone to Oxford.

Advertisement