Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploration / Adventure / Travel Book Suggestions

Options
  • 02-09-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've just finished reading "Shantaram" (Gregory David Roberts) and found it to be one of the best books I've ever read. As with everything else its had a bad review or two - but each to their own I guess. Another book I really enjoyed was "The Beach" (Alex Garland) (the movie was diabolical though). I've watched the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries" (Che Guevara) which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

I'm looking for suggestions on books to read (novels / biographies) of relatively modern-day exploration, adventure, and travel.

I'd really appreciate any help, cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

A few favourites; Paul Theroux's 'The Great Railway Bazaar' and Heinrech Harrer's 'Seven Years in Tibet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Axolotl

Ah, travel writing, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Any of Michael Palin's travel books are great, IMO. Eric Newby's A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush is class too, as is Patrick Leigh Fermor's A Time of Gifts.

Tim Severin's sailing books are also favourites of mine- in each he takes a different myth (Sinbad, St Brendan going to America, etc.) and researches & builds a period boat to try to recreate the voyage, to see if it could have been possible. Really interesting stuff.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement