Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What's with people hating on loading screens? It's either that or minute long, unskippable cutscenes. (Or an engine with level streaming, but shush)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bit random but does anyone else really enjoy the sound effects and feel of the handgun?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    so much hate for the jumping in half life...

I actually liked the jumping mechanics in half life, it really brought a lot to the environment I thought.

I should probably clarify: what drove me nuts was that so many jumps demanded the classic crouch-jump method from HL1. It had its time & tbh it's a wonder I managed to play the origin in the first place; it also feels doubly incongruous against the backdrop of Black Mesa, with it's more convincing architecture & environments. They could have kept most of the jumping maps, just not insisted that you crouch-jump - it's so bloody counter-intuitive.
    Bit random but does anyone else really enjoy the sound effects and feel of the handgun?

No, I agree the sound design was excellent throughout, really helped the atmosphere both before and after the accident by using lots of little ambient sounds & repsonses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I should probably clarify: what drove me nuts was that so many jumps demanded the classic crouch-jump method from HL1. It had its time & tbh it's a wonder I managed to play the origin in the first place; it also feels doubly incongruous against the backdrop of Black Mesa, with it's more convincing architecture & environments. They could have kept most of the jumping maps, just not insisted that you crouch-jump - it's so bloody counter-intuitive.

Heh I still crouch jump in any pc fps I play today out of habit. That never bothered me as mechanic.

I still do it in BF3 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Still playing through this at the moment though I keep taking breaks once I get to the jumping parts,
    currently at part where you jump through those compressors
    , as finding some quite annoying.

When doing long range jumps do you need to crouch-jump or just sprint jump?
    I don't mind the crouch-jumping mechanic to get to higher places and like BlitzKrieg I still use is games today but it's a running crouch-jump which is causing my frustration.

Also only now after realizing you can get on and off ladders by pressing the "use" key! It wasn't like that in the original was it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Still playing through this at the moment though I keep taking breaks once I get to the jumping parts,

When doing long range jumps do you need to crouch-jump or just sprint jump?
    I don't mind the crouch-jumping mechanic to get to higher places and like BlitzKrieg I still use is games today but it's a running crouch-jump which is causing my frustration.

Also only now after realizing you can get on and off ladders by pressing the "use" key! It wasn't like that in the original was it??
    You can?? Ah balls, I would have saved myself MANY broken legs if I had have known that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Careful they can be bugged and you may need to reload an earlier save before you turned them on. I got stuck there for hours on the 2nd set and gave up when it seemed impossible and looked online. Got told the timing can get bugged and reloaded it to just before I entered the room and I got through it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The platform parts as above are my only gripe. Aside from that it's very good.

I like how there is nothing to indicate where I am meant to go, leaving you to figure it out for yourself. Makes you feel smart again, valve are one of the only companies who can do that in their FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Advertisement