Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Apparently you dont need to buy or own anything to get this working (see my post earlier).

Retro review of original Half Life here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6126-Half-Life (if you're reading this you'll probably enjoy it)
    What earlier post?

• LOL - Fancy waiting another 8 years?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Half life 2 is on sale on steam, 66% off. Clever out of valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Tallon wrote: »
    What earlier post?

I think he meant this one.

You just need to download steam and install Source SDK Base 2007 from the steam-->tools menu. Source SDK 2007 was released for free a few years ago

If you ever owned a steam or valve game then chances are you created an online steam account so you would be better off locating those details and using them to login to steam so you can access your purchased games as well.

Just installed it myself in the hope that it works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tallon wrote: »
    Crap, I don't know where my copy is, and I don't want to buy it :(

It says you need The Orange Box to play it, which I have... Will that do?

Just doing a little bit of research, and apparently you do not need any game to play it. All that is needed is that the Source 2007 SDK is installed - and that is available free to any Steam user.

Black Mesa System Requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

will be interesting to see how this pans out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

hey guys they are trying to get this game on steam , theres a new system now where people can vote for what games they want to come to steam, its called Steam Greenlight.

Black mesa of this moment is sitting on 27%
    it obviously needs votes , all you need is to sign into it the same as your steam account etc heres the site please vote as you can imagine without steam this game will be very hard to download on release day etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...43&ExtraParams

Help out if you can and spread th word:D

An interesting link for tracking the progress on Greenlight (black mesa is the green line)

http://stewartatkins.co.uk/greenlight/

p.s. I wouldnt worry about having trouble downloading on the day of release as I'm sure they'll have a torrent

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Am I misunderstanding things in saying that Black Mesa: Source is a free-to-play Mod / Download, which, if added to Steam: Greenlight, will become something which you have to then pay for??

Edit: My Bad; I gave a thumbs-up to a few games on Greenlight, and each one had the text "Would you buy this game if it were available in Steam?".
    I'm 99% sure that the same thing was written on Black Mesa: Source, 2 days ago.

Regardless, it now says "Would you play this game if it were available in Steam?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Balls. No Mac version. I'm guessing it wasn't done with OpelGL?

• Advertisement

Am I misunderstanding things in saying that Black Mesa: Source is a free-to-play Mod / Download, which, if added to Steam: Greenlight, will become something which you have to then pay for??
    No i believe it will be distributed etc for free still, as theres a copyright issue where valve obviously own the original in every shape and form, and if these guys who made the mod try to charge for it valve will be after them pretty nifty.

As far as i know it will be for free anyway via steam if it gets voted in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Elessar wrote: »
    Balls. No Mac version. I'm guessing it wasn't done with OpelGL?

The older version of the source engine they are using would't have Mac support as it was added in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would pay for it.

It just got greenlit on steam :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It just got greenlit on steam :D

Yeah, hopefully it will be released on Steam quickly - although I could see Valve not wanting to release it on Steam until it is fully completed with the Xen levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah, hopefully it will be released on Steam quickly - although I could see Valve not wanting to release it on Steam until it is fully completed with the Xen levels.
    They shouldn't be allowed to release it until it's completely finished imo. Greenlight shouldn't be able to become home to unfinished games, accepting merely game ideas is bad enough.

Neither should they be encouraged to release it in episodic format since I think we've all seen how that goes within the HL universe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gizmo wrote: »
    They shouldn't be allowed to release it until it's completely finished imo. Greenlight shouldn't be able to become home to unfinished games, accepting merely game ideas is bad enough.

Neither should they be encouraged to release it in episodic format since I think we've all seen how that goes within the HL universe. :)

Agreed. I remember they announced in 09 I think it was almost ready. Now we're getting a chunk of it but it remains incomplete. I know the Xen sections arn't very popular. I didn't mind them too much, & felt they really conveyed you were in a very different place.

I'd prefer wait another while & get the whole game, but sure what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭briany

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed. I remember they announced in 09 I think it was almost ready. Now we're getting a chunk of it but it remains incomplete. I know the Xen sections arn't very popular. I didn't mind them too much, & felt they really conveyed you were in a very different place.

I'd prefer wait another while & get the whole game, but sure what can you do

God knows how long we could be waiting. I'd love the full game too but I don't doubt that the people behind this mod are very proud of their work and want to give something to the public who've waiting so patiently for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

briany wrote: »
    God knows how long we could be waiting. I'd love the full game too but I don't doubt that the people behind this mod are very proud of their work and want to give something to the public who've waiting so patiently for so long.

What I'm saying is, we've waiting this long, I'm sure most of us would rather wait a little while longer & get the full game...as opposed to this 'episodic' release

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

EnterNow wrote: »
    What I'm saying is, we've waiting this long, I'm sure most of us would rather wait a little while longer & get the full game...as opposed to this 'episodic' release
    Indeed. As long as we get it before HL3 then I think we should be all right.

As an aside, just watching the last trailer released for the mod really makes me reflect on how poorly served we've been with single player FPS titles in the last decade. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Not long now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ilukr

http://release.blackmesasource.com

refresh refresh refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

http://release.blackmesasource.com

refresh refresh refresh

Haha I literally just checked the Black Mesa website now as I rembered when Genghiz Cohen posted his awesome piccy that there was around 5hrs to go and rembered thinking to check again around 3ish.

Still 41 mins to go :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

will there be a steam download link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They haven't said that there would be and they only got valve approval during the week. Their primary plan was to release without steam, but it could be plausible that they get a basic steam download launch on account of the significant demand. I'd be surprised if they included the possible extras in the library of steamworks tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

will there be a steam download link

I'd say there my be a direct link or 2 but I'd say torrents will be best bet as the other links will get hammered.

Just after noticing this: http://www.blackmesasource.com/bmrf-employment-letter.pdf

Only 15mins to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

OH GOD 3 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I AM EXCITE! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

And.... Crashed

xTgjr.png

Advertisement