Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sarky wrote: »
    Holy balls, that's the Chuckle Brothers! :eek:

Pretty much my reaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Spent 10 minutes giggling at that, seem it on a trailer :p

How awesome, that, and the 'other' spoiler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can someone tell me if there's a Mac version?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'd spotted that on one of the security desks before you even get as far as the test chamber!!!

Not very obvious that it's a thumbnail link I guess, just didn't wanna post the full size pic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if there's a Mac version?

Unfortunately no, its a Source engine 2007 mod, which is a pre OSX support version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can anyone tell me how to get by this part? I assume I jump up the crates to where that red light is but I just can't seem to jump high enough. I tried using the barrels and everything.

2012_09_15_00002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

AC,
    You need to do the crouch jump

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zab wrote: »
    AC,
    You need to do the crouch jump

Yeah, I accidentally figured that out in the end. How the hell does crouch jump make you jump higher than a normal jump? I hope there aren't many more of these jump section because they're pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have extracted the files into sourcemod/bms and restarted Steam but i'm not seeing it in the list, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yeah, I accidentally figured that out in the end. How the hell does crouch jump make you jump higher than a normal jump? I hope there aren't many more of these jump section because they're pissing me off.

It doesn't. It brings your legs up under you like in Mirror's Edge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How did you get where you are WITHOUT Crouch jump?

Tallon wrote: »
    How did you get where you are WITHOUT Crouch jump?

By standing at what I need to jump over and mashing the crap out of the various movement keys until I get over it. My laptop is taking a beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There should be a crouch jump tutorial like in the original for people who have not played half life 1

tuxy wrote: »
    There should be a crouch jump tutorial like in the original for people who have not played half life 1

If there was my neighbours would be sound asleep in their beds instead of wondering why I'm screaming "JUMP, YOU STUPID FÚCK!" over and over again before breaking down into tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Skerries wrote: »
    I have extracted the files into sourcemod/bms and restarted Steam but i'm not seeing it in the list, any ideas?
    I also cannot see the game in Steam with the added complication that I'm running it through Wine on Linux Mint (the SDK is installed and the video test works fine!) :p

Edit: Actually, WineTricks installed Steam to a weird folder and the BMS installer installed it to the normal Wine folder, so having the files in the right directory might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Actually, it does mention crouch jumping towards the start. I do kind of dislike crouch jumping though.

Also, somebody mentioned the face crabs not jumping raining down on you when you get on the big elevator just after that scene. They did appear for me so there must be a slight bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They appeared for me the first time, I fell off and died and they were not there the second time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crouch jumping was something you had to use all the time in the original game and it was in the tutorial at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're struggling with the jump+crouch parts now, I don't know how you're going to manage the long jump module with the crouch+jump.

Rebind the keys to suit yourself and you'll probably find it a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man this is so class! I blew up some food in a microwave and got an achievement. Then I handed some toilet paper to a scientist and got another cheevo. I love the extra items and dialogue they added as well, I thought this was just a straight remake with the newer engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Monotype wrote: »
    If you're struggling with the jump+crouch parts now, I don't know how you're going to manage the long jump module with the crouch+jump.

Rebind the keys to suit yourself and you'll probably find it a bit easier.

I haven't played a PC game in yonks, is there anyway to create a custom key for 'crouch & jump'?

Just crashed out on me with error message that some said something like 'too many vexes' Will give i another lash later but this is really making me want to play HL 3/episode 3.

You don't want to press both at the same time, they're supposed to be a split second apart.

Crouch then jump is for long jump (when you have the module, I haven't got that far yet), while jump then crouch is for getting on top of boxes or into vents that you have to jump up to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wow! They did an amazing job with it! The attention to detail is stunning.
    Some great humour too...
    "TPS reports...", "Right Gordon, you're on the top of my ****list", "What in the blazes is a roflcoptor?" and Brownian motion. :D
    Many little extra items around the place too.

One thing though... that part with the large freight lift. I was expecting a load of headcrabs to come pouring down. The music ramps up and I'm getting prepared aaaaaannnnnddddddd... nothing. Is that a bug or did they remove it because they were blowing up with falling damage or is it just being the opposite of what's expected? I was full of armour and health going around that part, so I'm wondering if there were supposed to be more enemies.

I think they've really done a good job with monster placement, some of those barnacles are a much bigger threat than they were in the original.

If anyone is half thinking of getting it, it's a must for a half-life fan and well... it's a must anyway, unless you've got a short attention span and can't make it past a few of the jumping parts.
    Loads of those buggers came down at me on the lift LOADS. They actually killed me the first time.

It was very weird for me. Even without HL in mind, I would have expected a big fight with the dramatic music! I'll go back to a save to see if it happens again to be sure that I can take on a lift load of headcrabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I played HL2 to death but I've never played HL1, what should I expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

tuxy wrote: »

I'm actually really disappointed that they haven't included the training section, perhaps they may add it later on. Whenever I got stuck in a part of the game. I simply did the training for a while to procrastinate. :pac:

MadYaker wrote: »
    I played HL2 to death but I've never played HL1, what should I expect?

More jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

When I try change the resolution and aspect ratio nothing happens, anyone having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

This is pretty much my face while playing, NOSTALGIAAAAA!!
    j3FwW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Make sure you hit apply instead of ok to change res.
    It was very weird for me. Even without HL in mind, I would have expected a big fight with the dramatic music! I'll go back to a save to see if it happens again to be sure that I can take on a lift load of headcrabs.
    Don't underestimate those head crabs on hard :pac: problem was they all jumped off the lift without me killing any. Then at the bottom they all jumped at once and I died :D

Advertisement