Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It seems the game defaults to easy, I think the original did too. Good thing I noticed and changed it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tuxy wrote: »
    It seems the game defaults to easy, I think the original did too. Good thing I noticed and changed it
    Yeah that's crap isn't it. As if the magnum doesn't help enough. Is it just me or are there far more bullets lying around?

• im amazed at the level of polish that has gone in to this, the atmosphere is quite amazing while playing with headphones. So much rubbish retail games over the years and this quality remake is free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I looked up a Youtube video of the original just to compare, they have done an amazing job on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow. Just wow. Ok, for 8 years work I would have expected something impressive (though to be fair they started from scratch a couple of times), but the level of detail, polish and professionalism would put most retail releases to shame.

It also shows that it doesn't matter how complex & fancy a game engine is, it's what you do with it that counts - Black Mesa is fantastic to look at & I've been idling in most areas, trying to take in the clutter & detail.

I like how they've expanded & redeveloped most areas, even if the general layouts feelthe same. Unlike the original game though, the modders have done their best to make the BM complex feel like a real place, so fair play there; corridors dont feel so random and pointless, and little things like keys left in a freight elevator controls make it all feel a bit more realistic. The intro section was great fun just to wander around, taking in the office life.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the re-imagining of the pre-military sections made it all feel a bit more like a Survival Horror game than a standard FPS.

Overall it's a fantastic upgrade to a timeless classic, I hope Valve through their time & money behind this venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭briany

Really impressed by the opening cut sequence in the rail car. Felt nostalgic and fresh at the same time.

Was just thinking that id Software remade Doom 11 years after the original game, and it's now 14 years since the original release of Half Life.
    Makes me reflect on the perceived passing of time and the differences between the respective remakes, the sizes of the leaps, technologically/visually, between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Spent the evening playing it and I'm really impressed so far. Its amazing that the developers released it for free, I would of had no problem paying for it. Also the new soundtrack is amazing, nearly as good as half life 2.

Can believe this is the same game.
    2012091500002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Playing it right now But I'm stuck. Just got off the tram and there's no objective indicator to tell me where to go?! No idea what to do.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Playing it right now But I'm stuck. Just got off the tram and there's no objective indicator to tell me where to go?! No idea what to do.

I have that too. Plus my health won't regenerate when I take cover.

buggy POS :(

When's the map pack coming out btw?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dunno. don't think the DLC has been announced yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nah, I saw there was some locked DLC on the disc! Just have to wait to pay now.

I feel kind of guilty for torrenting this game. I hope I haven't killed PC gaming forever...

Spent the evening playing it and I'm really impressed so far. Its amazing that the developers released it for free, I would of had no problem paying for it.

I don't think they would have been allowed to charge for it. The IP belongs to valve.

Valve will potentially hire them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Valve will potentially hire them.

Well isn't that what happened with Counter Strike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

5uspect wrote: »
    Well isn't that what happened with Counter Strike?
    Yup; happened with Portal too - Valve hired a gaggle of developers from an indie game that was the progenitor of Portal (can't recall it's name though). DOTA2 of course started as a mod for Warcraft, and even TF2 was originally a Quake mod. Not great on internal IPs but they know a good idea when they see one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Loving this so far. Keeps it so faithful to the fantastic original, while still adding it's own charm. Still a brilliant experience after all these years.

The only thing i'm disappointed about is that the locked doors don't make this sound anymore :pac:

Any spot any Easter Eggs for this yet - assuming there are any of course :)

My pinky finger is sore from crouch jumps :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yup; happened with Portal too - Valve hired a gaggle of developers from an indie game that was the progenitor of Portal (can't recall it's name though). DOTA2 of course started as a mod for Warcraft, and even TF2 was originally a Quake mod. Not great on internal IPs but they know a good idea when they see one :)

Forgot about that. Here it is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop

OMG, Valve are just like Microsoft, they never innovate, just buy up the small guys! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Well Newell has previous with msft :pac:

At least valve release things they buy.

The knock offs of real products everywhere. Everything in the vending machines are rip offs of real products. The boxes of del monte peaches in the warehouses. Got an achievement for giving the scientist in the toilets a thing of bog roll.

Dunno if you'd really call them easter eggs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The blue screen on the monitors is about Hl2.exe not booting. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Very impressed so far. But ****, that poxy hanging crates section is doing my nut

Does it crash lots for anyone else?
    Especially as you near the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think strangely the biggest nostalgia moment for me was the security doors opening after you get the tram. I use to love the detail in the original half life of those metal bars rolling back before the door open and they kept that in the game so I had a big grin on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Not crashing at all for me, loads of Easter eggs...

I'm havin so much fun playing this. I don't think I will ever play HL1 ever again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just hope they can get the last part of the game done soon enough. I know it's only Xen, but it would be nice to be able to go straight into playing HL2 and the episodes straight away.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I just hope they can get the last part of the game done soon enough. I know it's only Xen, but it would be nice to be able to go straight into playing HL2 and the episodes straight away.
    Funny, I was just wondering what kind of bounce there might be, if Steam might see a sudden surge in sales of HL2 & the episodes

Advertisement