Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

any sign of a nod to aperture science yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Am I the only person who enjoyed the Xen levels? I reckon I preferred them to Residue Processing at least. This mod is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Being a cynical ****, i reckon valve got involbvd and helped finish the mod to a release state.

Not that it would prolong HL3 or anything but this MOD is polished to a AAA standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Am I the only person who enjoyed the Xen levels? I reckon I preferred them to Residue Processing at least. This mod is amazing.

No, I quite liked them as well. Not a massive fan of the Xen Masters, they were annoying little bastards to fight. The two boss levels weren't fantastic, but I enjoyed Xen for how different it was to the other levels (in looks and gravity, if nothing else).

I've forgotten so much of HL1 that doesn't deserve to be forgotten, this just brings it all back. What a cracking game, brought up to date with a cracking mod.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

A similar mod is being created for Opposing Force, known as Operation Black Mesa.

Hopefully it meets the same standard as Black Mesa did.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone know if controller support is available for this? Couldn't find anything on google.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

quarryman wrote: »
    Anyone know if controller support is available for this? Couldn't find anything on google.
    Controllers are supported in every game, just download a key mapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Azza wrote: »
    A similar mod is being created for Opposing Force, known as Operation Black Mesa.
    * runs off to pre-order *

Black Mesa is better than half life three. There I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

* runs off to pre-order *

Black Mesa is better than half life three. There I said it.

Well, it exists, for one thing. That's a fairly major plus point right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just finished it now. Really amazing! A bit buggy in places but I can forgive that.
    I really want to play xen now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

btw its only a part of the HL1? right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just downloaded it via torrent only to be greeted by three errors when installing it. Oh well. And I've been playing HL:Source recently so I'm gonna play this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Just downloaded it via torrent only to be greeted by three errors when installing it. Oh well. And I've been playing HL:Source recently so I'm gonna play this instead.

During the install? You can just unzip the 7z file into the source mods directory yourself if the installer isn't working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you download source SDK 2007?

[url]steam://run/218[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

When they do add the xen sections it'll look amazing. A lot of work is probably need to recreate that section of the game because its so different. Hopefully its not to far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's good alright, but not amazing...weapons need some balancing (mp5 is somewhat useless), and i don't like how they've reduced the size of certain areas.

Hopefully they'll get some tweaks in at a later date :)

Can't complain for something free I guess, but I don't think it's quite near the level of the original.

Zab wrote: »
    During the install? You can just unzip the 7z file into the source mods directory yourself if the installer isn't working for you.
    Yeah. I got some corrupt file errors. three of them while I was unzipping it. Both manually as well as when I ran the installer too.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Did you download source SDK 2007?

[URL]steam://run/218[/URL]
    Have that downloaded but I also see that SDK 2006 is paused for some reason. Should this be? I never asked for it to be downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

very impressed by it so far...

and oh yeah...
    must not use crowbar to open explosive boxes
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have only played it a little so far, but I am very impressed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah my only gripes at this stage in the game (Surface Tension) is that the MP5 is very poor & barely registers against the Marines (while they happily snipe me from afar with the same weapon), and the soldiers themselves are tough as nails; they really enjoy popping out of nowhere and blasting me back to the last checkpoint. In fact the very first map you're loaded into on Surface Tension is mid-ambush by 4/5 marines. Infuriating on Hard difficulty.

Still though, patch the weapons a little & at this point it's hard to see how I'd ever want to go back and play Valve's own HL1 - Black Mesa can call itself the de-facto rebuild. The spirit is intact and it plays like one of Valve's own.

• Advertisement

Controllers are supported in every game, just download a key mapper.

I mean native support. Mapping programs are sh*t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah my only gripes at this stage in the game (Surface Tension) is that the MP5 is very poor & barely registers against the Marines (while they happily snipe me from afar with the same weapon), and the soldiers themselves are tough as nails; they really enjoy popping out of nowhere and blasting me back to the last checkpoint. In fact the very first map you're loaded into on Surface Tension is mid-ambush by 4/5 marines. Infuriating on Hard difficulty.

Still though, patch the weapons a little & at this point it's hard to see how I'd ever want to go back and play Valve's own HL1 - Black Mesa can call itself the de-facto rebuild. The spirit is intact and it plays like one of Valve's own.
    I like how it is actually a little challenging. No point in making the enemies on hard...easy.
    quarryman wrote: »
    I mean native support. Mapping programs are sh*t.
    Dunno if it is, id be more interested in 3d :D

They work fine for me. I map the key then I press the key!

I like how it is actually a little challenging. No point in making the enemies on hard...easy.

Dunno if it is, id be more interested in 3d :D

They work fine for me. I map the key then I press the key!

ah sorry. I needed to enable it in the options. Works perfectly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I agree that the MP5 is a little underpowered. It was a little better once I realized that you just spray them though, no short bursts required.

Yeah. I got some corrupt file errors. three of them while I was unzipping it. Both manually as well as when I ran the installer too.

Try forcing a recheck in the torrent program.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Near the end of it. Very impressed.

The changes to the enviroment layout and enemy placement keep it fresh and the enemies are generally tougher than in the orginal (except maybe the vortigaunts and the fish creature in the tank), For sure its more of a challenge than Half Life 1 was. Bullsquids arc of fire is hard to dodge and those sonic dog eyed creatures are way more of a threat.

Think the weapons are fine, though the MP5 seems a little under powered.

Noticed maybe 1 significant bug, the helicoptor in Surface Tension couldn't fire in the right direction after taking one or two rocket hits.

Performance wise, its runs easy enough for the most part but I do get severe albeit brief stutter when entering a new area.

Overall very good. Hope they bring out the rest of the game and multiplayer soon.

Monotype wrote: »
    Try forcing a recheck in the torrent program.
    Finally got it working. Ended up downloading again and was getting the same error. So I downloaded 7zip (had been using winrar) and I only got one error instead of thousands. Unzipped it myself and just copied and pasted it into the source mods folder. Seems to be a common enough problem.

Having played it there for an hour or so I'm very impressed. Kind of odd moving coming from HL:Source where Gordon moves like he's on roller skates to something a bit more plodding. Felt HL:S was a bit too fast but this seems right.
    Like the way that they've changed it up a bit, different enemy placements, even the location of the
    trusty crowbar
    was actually kind worrying me for a few minutes.
    Runs like butter really with the very odd stutter/hangup. Looks really good. Shame it's not the whole thing. When it gets onto Steam, I'm positive that I'll throw money their way for it. This sort of dedication/attention to detail needs reward.

What easter eggs have people found? I suggest you use spoiler tags if you're gonna mention them.

I do like the
    chuckle brothers cup
    although the addition is odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

What easter eggs have people found? I suggest you use spoiler tags if you're gonna mention them.

I do like the
    chuckle brothers cup
    although the addition is odd.

That and the ad in the food court reading
    'taco taco burrito burrito'
    got a chuckle out of me.
    I also saw a sign saying
    Notice: thank you for noticing this notice. Your notice has been noted and will be passed to the authorities.

There's loads of little things in signs around. I especially like the knock-off brand that they pick. Be sure to press on all characters a few times as they've often got something funny to say if you wait around.

220968.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Only got around to torrenting this last night. Did the intro tram ride this morning. Sent shivers down my spine!

Advertisement