Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You really do forget how good games used to be when you had to figure things out for yourself. No mini map, no arrow, no highlighted doors to secret paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This is honestly a contender for GOTY 2012. It's just an amazing remake, to think that this is free, while Halo's remake for 360 cost 40 notes is almost criminal. Been playing it all weekend, i'd still say i think HL2 is the better game, but this is now the definitive version of Half Life and a perfect companion piece to HL2 & Episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Everyone else get the dead bodies falling through the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I just put a comparison video for Black Mesa Inbound, switching from new to old graphics. Holy **** i really didnt appreciate the difference until i played HL1 again to make this video, the difference is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I love this game!

So, so well made!

If Valve dont bring these guys on board itll be a damned shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*grumble*

My only issue right now is that some of the set pieces dont seem to work like I remember (specifically the big hammers on the conveyor belt seem to have some bizarre timing I cant work out)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

In it's context, this is one of the greatest achievements in gaming since colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    *grumble*

My only issue right now is that some of the set pieces dont seem to work like I remember (specifically the big hammers on the conveyor belt seem to have some bizarre timing I cant work out)

Some parts are quite confusing for people who know the original game very well. I guess it makes things fresh..

Some parts are quite confusing for people who know the original game very well. I guess it makes things fresh..

actually it turned out that it was bugged :D seems sometimes you might need to reload the chapter if some things go out of sync.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Didn't play the original HL I have to admit but really really enjoying this. I'm only about an hour in but it's incredibly well made for a free game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just started it there a while ago. Hadn't played HL or HL2 before despite owning a copy of the Orange Box. Haven't progressed very far yet, but it seems addictive. Stuck at the
    exploding pig/dog thing
    . Have only tried it 4 times but it is still frustrating as I've made zero progress in those attempts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I have an album with a few funny screenshots here

Just one or two for flavour (click on the album link for full res)

The Gman
    b5LScl.jpg

Pics of Richard Feynman (physicist) and Hedy Lamarr (must be kleiner's office)
    ICaHol.jpg

If you throw anything at a guard you get a command reminiscent of HL2
    cpCg4l.jpg

oy9OQl.jpg

Little things like the way the glass breaks are cool
    UxmObl.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like at the start you can see gman talking ina room cant you and they shut the blinds when they notice you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

OSI wrote: »
    Anyone else spotted the Chuckle Brothers mugs lying around? :p
    Yeah, mentioned it on the last page. Such an odd addition. Made me chuckle........ :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yeah, mentioned it on the last page. Such an odd addition. Made me chuckle........ :rolleyes:

There's also a Douglas Adams reference:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97110564

Feck me this game is great! Such great character and weapon animation. Really captures the original wonderfully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The attention to detail is absolutely staggering. I'm finding it a bit sluggish but it is free. It would be nice if you didn't have to crouch for every single jump.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The marines are too accurate and too quick to open fire. They also shouldn't spot you so quickly in some situations but I don't remember how that was in the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Where's the best place to download this? The links on the site are saying it'll take a day to download. I have a real debrid account so if I could find a single link download on one of the major storage sites like rapidshare I should be able to get a good download speed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt you'll find a single link download from a storage site, as it's around a 3gb download. Most of the ones i've seen (and the one i used) was 5 or so links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I used Utorrent. Is that an option for you? you can get the a link for it on the black mesa website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Torrent had it in less than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Now that it's been out a while there are quite a few copies of it appearing on storage sites though no single links (smallest was 2 links on RS).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I usually avoid torrents, I guess i'll just go about it the long winded way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

ScumLord wrote: »

I think they make a lot of sense for this sort of release. The community provide the bandwidth for the download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ScumLord wrote: »

If you have a client already there's really no reason not to torrent this. It's completely legit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dunno maybe he thinks they are awkward?

Mine was done in half an hour on release day though on torrent, was sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Torrent for sure. Mine was done in about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The fileshack one didn't take too long and that was on release day. I'd suggest you to use a browser like opera if your connection is slow as it will allow you to resume downloads (won't work on some download sites with limits as the links change). Opera has a built in torrent downloader as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just finished it there earlier this evening; I'd actually be happy to leave it now & not bother with the Xen portion when it comes out; no point spoiling the experience. That said, whilst Xen gets the most ire from people, Black Mesa reminded me that the game had already fecked me right off before then, specifically the Lambda Core portion. Even with BMs tidy re imaginings, that area is a nightmare of awful jumping and hopping.

• Advertisement

so much hate for the jumping in half life...

I actually liked the jumping mechanics in half life, it really brought a lot to the environment I thought.

Advertisement