Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Season/Series 33 Not 7!!

Options
  • 02-09-2012 8:22pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who else is with me: that we should be referring to the current season/series as 33 not 7. If it was the actual seventh season of the show we'd all be gasping that the series is in colour and asking who this curly-headed man was who stumbled out of the TARDIS in the English country-side 'coz 7x01 is really "Spearhead from Space".

It should be "33x01 - Asylum of the Daleks". It's not a re-boot we have here, but a clear continuation of the show (even the latest episode had nods to earlier ones). Sure the BBC might have changed the numbers themselves but we here, on a fan forum, should know better and respect the 159 previous stories, seven Doctors, and multiple companions and use the proper season numbers! We cannot forget what the Doctor has done for us ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

ixoy wrote: »
    Sure the BBC might have changed the numbers themselves but we here, on a fan forum, should know better and respect the 159 previous stories, seven Doctors, and multiple companions and use the proper season numbers! We cannot forget what the Doctor has done for us ;)
    Yet you seemingly can forget what the Eighth Doctor did :D

Also this season should clearly be called Fnarg3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I'm someone who loved Who before the new-series came about & fondly remembers all those classic stories; but I kinda like the ring of series 7, it makes it feel fresh and new, saying 'series 33' sounds like the show that just won't die ;) Plus, there are lots of fans here who for whatever reason have only experienced the new series, so it's only fair to accommodate them.

Besides, I think '7' is accurate; the original, near-continuous production cycle of 26 years was definitively broken in 1989. The cycle was broken! This new run is a from the ground-up renewal of the concept. It's still the same show, and the same mythology, but for all intents and purposes it's a reboot of the production, if not the show itself. How about instead we go all Gregorian Calendar & call it series 7 AC*

* After Cancellation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What if the show gets cancelled again? How would we be able to accurately judge which cancellation it refers to?

We're Doctor Who fans! This is important damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know... by the same logic, people should be referring to the latest Dallas remake as Series 15!

I won't do it... I can't do it... and I won't do it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've been a rabid who fan since I was a young 'un and grew up through Davison to McCoy but I don't have a problem with the season thing. 7 or 33 both do me fine.

I'm also a Transformers fan boy and I understand the importance of bringing new people into the fold. The two franchises share certain strengths which make them strong at this: they both "regenerate" every few years (in TF's case, they usually start a continuity with each new creative team: On TV we've had 2 even since the movies began (which are also their own continuity!)). This allows both Who and the TFs to stay relevant easily.

Keeping the naming structure easy is part of that. Don't mind it at all. It's part of bringing in all the new fanboys (and rather pleasingly, a hugely increased number of fan girls) which are helping fund all this lovely new Who we've been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its season 7 for me. I started to watch the show because my Mam said she enjoyed it when she was young (dont feel too old :pac:) and have been hooked since the first Christopher Eccleston. Its simply season 7....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Season 3! Only Matt Smith stuff counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I remember reading somewhere that the distinction also has to do with the internal BBC structure. The new series being produced by BBC Wales as opposed to the "central" BBC etc.

Plus, I guess for international sales it makes sense. Stop broadcasters in god-knows-where going "season 33? Where are all the rest?" and the BBC having to go "eh, some are in the bin.." ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well the wider audience may accept this but it will be Season 33 to me! Too many rich years to remember and many star performances. Having done my best to watch them all (even sitting through the photo reconstructions), I can't let RTD's resurrection of the series lay too much claim.
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    broadcasters in god-knows-where going "season 33? Where are all the rest?" and the BBC having to go "eh, some are in the bin.." ;)
    Hah! More likely they'd ask if the broadcasters had any of the old episodes lying around somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We should just count ourselves lucky that he didn't reboot the whole thing.

A word and concept to be jettisoned into the abyss if there ever was one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Spearhead from Space was class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Season 3! Only Matt Smith stuff counts!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

... Keeping the naming structure easy is part of that. Don't mind it at all. It's part of bringing in all the new fanboys (and rather pleasingly, a hugely increased number of fan girls) which are helping fund all this lovely new Who we've been getting.

Haha! Well thank you! ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Haha! Well thank you! ;)

It's been a long, lonely obsession over the years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

It's been a long, lonely obsession over the years :D

But no more. YANA. ;)

Advertisement