Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coax

Options
  • 02-09-2012 9:32pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to replace the coax to my Watson W2000 antenna. Currently have RG-213 stuff which has been ok, but I reckon is now completely water logged as I'm getting really poor reception over the past few months.

Just wondering what would be the next step-up in terms of lower loss cable over the RG-213 stuff - would it be the Aircell 7 cable I have seen advertised?

Also any good suppliers in ROI for such cable?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 fn303dave

Maplin sell cable dont they ? Ive got bits n bobs for my scanners there.
    Is sat cable any good for this type of work ,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I checked Maplin's prices, absolute rip-off for cable similar to what I have already. £5 per metre! :eek:

Seems Nevada in the UK are a good option, and Westflex looks like a decent cable to use (only half as lossy on VHF/UHF as the RG-213 stuff I currently have).

I'm some unused RG-213 stuff here which I suppose will be fine for HF use.

Sat cable would not be suitable for amateur TX but you would get away with it for receive only on a scanner. It's not the best cable for the job though (it's 75Ω rather than 50Ω impedance).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

forget Maplin for cable.
    LMR400 is good for longer UHF runs. You need to buy specific N-Connectors and then use RG58 tails at each end as it's not very flexible. Rated for outdoor use. It won't get waterlogged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks Watty. Is there a European equivalent for that cable, as all the LMR-400 on eBay seems to be either in the US or China. Any other good sources for it?

How does it compare to Westflex in terms of good waterproofing? Seems similar in terms of losses. Would a PL-259 plug fit on the end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, it's too fat for PL259. Professional telecom & broadcast suppliers supply it here. I believe it's used on various Irish mast sites.

RG213 is largest cable that fits regular plugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Ecoflex 10 is a good choice I have used a couple 100m's of it over the years and never had a issue with it.

I get it from Wimo.de along with the proper connectors.

Advertisement