Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where abouts in London are you living?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

West
    Romford's Essex! Girls in work who live there talk about 'going up to London' like its a big day out... And they'd only go as far as Westfield Stratford.
    Currently looking ourselves and likely to stay East London, so won't edit the poll just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

South
    carly_86 wrote: »
    How can ye all afford to live in London ye must have great jobs i would love to move there

i'm paying 325 a month including bills hey. no worse than dublin really. i live in green lanes, close to wood green underground. only just moved in, but it seems pretty decent so far. cheap as chips and all that. two pound a pint accross the road. so twenty quid gets me langered. and only twenty minutes to work. happy as larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

East
    I'm in Balham and do like it here a lot, but probably moving north of the river (Archway/Kentish Town direction) in the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

South
    carly_86 wrote: »
    How can ye all afford to live in London ye must have great jobs i would love to move there

If people really want to live in London on a budget they should consider becoming a property guardian. I lived near Hampstead for a few months £300 all bills included. There are some responsibility's and restrictions, it only works for single people that are flexible and don't accumulate too many belongings.(you may be asked to move with 2 weeks notice). But on the up side you can live in an area you normally could not afford and still save money.

http://uk.cameloteurope.com/
    http://adhoc.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

East
    I'm in Balham and do like it here a lot, but probably moving north of the river (Archway/Kentish Town direction) in the next few months

Another person in the Balham area.. thats 3 of us now!

• Advertisement

East
    I still have half an hour on the bus to work - I work in Angel - so I have considered moving somewhere North of there. But I'm not sure how long I'll be staying in London - I get really homesick for Galway :o - but if I decide to stay for a good while longer, I will definitely look for something a bit bigger as well, because it's seriously tiny :)

Ah a Galwegian like myself! It is hard to adjust at the start as there is always something going on in Galway and everything (including your friends) is on your doorstep. I would say stick with it though... I'm here 6 years now and couldn't imagine moving back to Galway at the moment. While I love going back for a few days every now and then I just feel it's so small and claustrophobic now. Also there aren't many decent job and career opportunities there at the moment. Best thing I ever did for my career was move to London... I wouldn't be earning a quarter of what I do now if I had stayed. Quality of life is great in Galway though... no commute and a great night-life... lots of friends who are easy to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Playboy wrote: »
    Ah a Galwegian like myself! It is hard to adjust at the start as there is always something going on in Galway and everything (including your friends) is on your doorstep. I would say stick with it though... I'm here 6 years now and couldn't imagine moving back to Galway at the moment. While I love going back for a few days every now and then I just feel it's so small and claustrophobic now. Also there aren't many decent job and career opportunities there at the moment. Best thing I ever did for my career was move to London... I wouldn't be earning a quarter of what I do now if I had stayed. Quality of life is great in Galway though... no commute and a great night-life... lots of friends who are easy to see!

Well not exactly a Galwegian but it is home to me :) I used to live on Cross Street so that's exactly what I miss, always being close to everything and especially being able to meet up with friends with two minutes notice! Being around the corner from the pubs and just the atmosphere... But I've been here ten months now and have made friends, love the job etc. so I'm not going moving back just yet. I do have the option of freelancing though, so the plan at the moment is to move back in a year or so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

I would love a job in London if anyone has anything going

East
    Well not exactly a Galwegian but it is home to me :) I used to live on Cross Street so that's exactly what I miss, always being close to everything and especially being able to meet up with friends with two minutes notice! Being around the corner from the pubs and just the atmosphere... But I've been here ten months now and have made friends, love the job etc. so I'm not going moving back just yet. I do have the option of freelancing though, so the plan at the moment is to move back in a year or so :)

Nice spot to live.. not far to walk for a drink! I lived on Dominick street and Dun Aengus mainly and my parents are in Forster court so very central too.

I'm contracting/freelancing over here at the moment. What line of work are you going to freelance in? If you need any help with setting yourself up over here as a limited company then let me know as I have been doing it a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

East
    jdivision wrote: »
    ...don't understand whole Clapham thing... it's fine but completely overpriced and underwhelming, for same price I can walk to work, have better nightlife and be better connected.
    I live in Clapham and I can walk to central London (Waterloo) in about 40 minutes (just over 2 miles). I also have a tube station about 10 minutes' walk away, buses to central London on my doorstep and Clapham Junction Station about 20 minutes' walk away - that's pretty well-connected.

Oh, and I have a garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Hayes near Heathrow, avoid, it's an utter s**thole, won't be staying for long

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Playboy wrote: »
    I'm contracting/freelancing over here at the moment. What line of work are you going to freelance in? If you need any help with setting yourself up over here as a limited company then let me know as I have been doing it a while now.

I might just take you up on that, thanks so much :) I'd be freelancing as a translator, English to Danish. I've a friend who is a freelance translator here in London, so she's giving me advice as well. At the moment I'm happy enough with my job though, but I'm thinking in a year or so I'll give the freelancing thing a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

West
    I am east too, should get a meetup out this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

South
    Halfway between Kentish Town and Highgate for me literally on the doorstep of Hampstead Heath and 400m from work :D. Great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Undercover Brother

I live near Old Street, Islington address but really it's City of London. Great spot. 10-15 minute walk to Shoreditch and Angel. I can even walk to the West End in about half hour. I love it. Unfortunately I've been out of work for about a month and not having much luck finding anything else so I might have to head back to Ireland for a while in the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hi folks,

If one was working in Canary Wharf where would be a decent area to live. The main criteria would be commuting, social life(gigs, pubs, eats) and rent(500-600pm)

Apologies about detailing thread somewhat but I figured this thread may be the best one to get this info.

frAG

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

South
    Canary Wharf puts you near enough to Clapham and the surrounding area which is supposed to be good, but it's also worth bearing in mind the Overground circle is being completed soon making the option of somewhere like Highbury & Islington or Camden feasible too. Rents will vary by area but also depend on whether you're looking a studio flat, a house share or a full flat of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

West
    frag420 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

If one was working in Canary Wharf where would be a decent area to live. The main criteria would be commuting, social life(gigs, pubs, eats) and rent(500-600pm)

Apologies about detailing thread somewhat but I figured this thread may be the best one to get this info.

frAG

The friends that I have that work there just live nearby. Like in Westferry, Bow or Poplar. It depends on what you prioritise more - getting to work quickly or the social life stuff. Realistically you can get from most places relatively quickly.

Living in Tower Hamlets (borough surrounding Canary Wharf) will probably be cheaper and easier to get to than moving to Clapham. Another obvious recommendation would be moving to Stratford or the surrounding area which has good links (Jubilee and DLR) to Canary Wharf and would have the social life aspect there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cheers folks.

Ideally I am going to share for the first yr as I find it easier to meet people that way. As for priorities I am an outgoing sort so social life is important. I find mind spending 30-40 commuting to and from work if needs be.

I'm thinking somewhere a bit more residential perhaps with acces to parks, pubs, eats etc.

Cheers

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

greenwich and blackheath have a pretty good social scene, it's not as hectic as clapham or shoreditch, but it's very handy for canary wharf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

West
    I recommend the Bow/Mile End area..easy bus ride to canary warf, or DLR from Bow church...also possible to walk or cycle too. Mile end park, Regents canal and Victoria park provide lots of lovely outdoor space, plenty nice pubs and good transport links to city, shoreditch, stratford...
    What's not to like??!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Redbollock

East
    im in oval/kennington/camberwell
    been here 3 years and dont even know what area im in tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

im startin an apprenticeship in london next month and was just wondering whats a nice area about 15-20 minutes south of the river. My wages are going to be pretty low so it will have to be a pretty basic studio or a house share

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Redbollock

East
    im startin an apprenticeship in london next month and was just wondering whats a nice area about 15-20 minutes south of the river. My wages are going to be pretty low so it will have to be a pretty basic studio or a house share

stockwell/brixton you'd find a reasonable houseshare for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

East
    im startin an apprenticeship in london next month and was just wondering whats a nice area about 15-20 minutes south of the river.
    Check out this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364193

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Hackney late of the Parish's of St Reatham, Chelsea, Kilburn, Wembly, & Greenford

Drank in Hennesseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gabria

East
    Heya, I live in Crawley, can be considered a sort of suburb of London , as it is right next to Gatwick airport

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

South
    I am London Irish born and bred though I haven't lived or even been there since the mid, 90's,there seems to be an even spread on this thread of people living over the various post codes, so are the redoubts of Kilburn, Neasden/Cricklewood, Holloway etc no more and have they been replaced by new areas of settlement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

West
    Leaving Leytonstone after two years for Hackney..should be different!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

South
    I live in Camden have done since the early 70's. When I first came to London in the early 60's I lived in Haringgey, then move to Islington for a short while and been in Camden even since. Very busy area, but the transport and shops are great, which is what I need everything on your door step so to speak.

Years ago, when people moved to London from Ireland they tend to say in the same areas such as North London or South London or East London, not so much nowadays.

Advertisement