Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native 5d footage, convert or not?

Options
  • 02-09-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I have footage from a 5d mk3 and it seems there is so many different opinions when it comes to working with the footage. Ill be using adobe cs5 suite in college using different programs like after effects for grading and effects and premier to edit ect ect. So what should i do with the footage straight out of the camera? Should i convert it to make it more manageable or is there any point?

One thing that confuses me is if the footage straight of the card is compressed does it mean that when you convert it "opens up" the footage and makes it less compressed or is the opposite true?

Lastly what format should i convert to? Ill be using windows not mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

steve_ wrote: »
    One thing that confuses me is if the footage straight of the card is compressed does it mean that when you convert it "opens up" the footage and makes it less compressed or is the opposite true?
    Once it's compressed the data is gone, so it is what it is at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think i've read someplace that there was some problems with markIII files because of high compression that the camera can be set to. apparently the markII didn't have a compression option,
    the advice, if i remember, was for the markIII to shoot using low compression and then import the native files using the template/settings provided in Premiere for importing DSLR footage.
    I don't know if this issue has been resolved or not tho!

as far as compression is concerned heres a good primer on what its all about
    www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/video3.htm

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Editing h.264 footage from a 5DII or III or other camera is a pain as its compressed the computer has to decompress it on the fly for editing which is slow. The answer is to convert to an edit friendly codec, the down side is the files get a lot bigger. I work on a Mac so i use Apple Pro Res as my edit codec. Cineform seems to be popular on windows and for editing in Premier. I use MPEG Streamclip to do my transcoding between codecs before an edit and then export form FCP as H.264.

Like still shooting, uncompressed or RAW footage is preferable as there is more data there to work with in post production. No DSLR records uncompressed. Nikon D3's can output uncompressed via HDMI but you have to use a separate recorder to capture the footage.

Going from compressed up to an uncompressed format your not going to lose or gain anything. Going from uncompressed to compressed you have to juggle file size versus quality.

The Mk III has 2 compressions options there both good you can look at reviews and comparisons online for them.

Advertisement