Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alaska fishing

• 02-09-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,
    Myself and my pal have decided we would go to Alaska for a fishing holiday in 2015 to celebrate turning 40.
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever been and have they any hints tips or info about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers for reading!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 43 finnmcool

Cheers for that pal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Do plenty of research
    I know a few people who have had poor experiences
    They planned to fly fish bit it didn't turn.out that way
    If it was me I'd trawl boards like this in the us which is their main customer base

Cool idea
    I had planned to go back to nz when I turned 40 for a treat but the recession put paid to that!!!
    Be sure to report back with the final tally!!

finnmcool wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Myself and my pal have decided we would go to Alaska for a fishing holiday in 2015 to celebrate turning 40.
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever been and have they any hints tips or info about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers for reading!!

Cheers fisherking. Looking forward to it, we have given ourselves plenty of time to research and save. If the worst comes to the worst we talked about just hiring a car for a couple of weeks and stopping anyplace we can fish. Just nice to be out in all that wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Stopping anyplace is risky
    Mate of mine went to nz at the same craic
    And caught feck all
    Regrets not getting a guide now.....

Get a guide for a few days anyway
    Alaska is MASSIVE!
    finnmcool wrote: »
    Cheers fisherking. Looking forward to it, we have given ourselves plenty of time to research and save. If the worst comes to the worst we talked about just hiring a car for a couple of weeks and stopping anyplace we can fish. Just nice to be out in all that wilderness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

I did a trip there last year. I went with an outfitter. Duncan Bros. We did a 10 day float trip on the Kanektok River. Great trip. You need to know what type of fish you want to target as not all species are there at the same time.

Choosing the right gear is also very important. Particularly a wading jacket. Don't go cheap on this. Good light breathable waders also. Remember felt sole's are banned in Alaska. Rubber soles only, and make sure you screw plenty of hard bite studs into them. Most alaska streams and rivers are fast and slick.

I did a trip there last year. I went with an outfitter. Duncan Bros. We did a 10 day float trip on the Kanektok River. Great trip. You need to know what type of fish you want to target as not all species are there at the same time.

Choosing the right gear is also very important. Particularly a wading jacket. Don't go cheap on this. Good light breathable waders also. Remember felt sole's are banned in Alaska. Rubber soles only, and make sure you screw plenty of hard bite studs into them. Most alaska streams and rivers are fast and slick.

Thanks a million buddy, but whats Duncan bros?
    Was it a trip of a lifetime or would you do it different if you were to do it again? Would you go somewhere else?

Cheers fella

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

Yes, I will definitely do it again. Myself and another dude are planning a trip for summer 2014. This time we're going it alone. We're going to float the Kanektok again, but this time without the guides. Takes a bit of planning, as you need a lot of gear to survive the bush for 10 days.

The trip you suggested, of using the road system to find good fishing, is a "hit or miss" idea. Surprisingly, the fishing around Anchorage is not that good, and areas that are tend to be very crowded. Alaska has not got a large road system and all the good access points are well known by locals. If you're coming all the way from Ireland, I would pass on that one. You can hire a guide for a day, but be well warned. Alaska is notorious for its bad guides. If you choose this option, make absolutely sure you do your research and find a reputable guide before you get there.

The best fishing in Alaska is in the most remote areas. Most these places are only reachable by charter flight. But if you want the best fishing, this is what you need to do: There are really three types of Alaska fishing trips. 1) The fishing lodges
    2) The fishing camps
    3) The DIY float trips

I would recommend choosing one of these three, deciding which one suits your needs and budget best, when planning a trip to Alaska. Lodges are expensive. They're there to tend to your every need. There is a guide with you every day. If you like comfort and your needs tended to, this is probably the trip for you. These usually run from $7,000 to $10,000 for 6 days and 7 nights.

The camps are more rough and ready and are set up in extremely remote locations. The scenery is incredible though. This is a trip I did last year. They supply food and tents, where your sleeping on cots. They usually take about 10 people max for a week. Check these guys out they are excellent: http://www.alaskaflyfishingcamps.com/ Camps run about $5,000 for the week.

Then there's the DIY float trips, where you pick a river you would like to fish and float it. This involves using a bush plane, dropping you and your gear at the source of a river. You and a buddy then use "Pontoon boats" to float back to base, fishing along the way. This usually takes 6/7 days to complete. This is a great trip if you have good outdoor skills. Proper gear and planning is essential.

I'm just giving you a basic idea on whats involved in doing an Alaska trip. It takes planning. I haven't gone into weather or bears which also need to be considered. I would advise you to read up on do and don'ts when in bear country. Alaska Forestry Service and Alaska Fish and Game have plenty on this. I would also recommend you reading " Danger Stalks The Land by Larry Kanuit before you go there. Remember....June is spring in Alaska, July is summer, August is autumn. The rest is winter...

Jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You'll definately need a guide as not only do they know the area and where the fish are they have the protection of a shotgun for the grizzlys

Advertisement