Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rig to suit QX9770 CPU

Options
  • 02-09-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Someone gave me a QX9770 socket 775 CPU last week. Is it worth going to the effort of building a pc based on this chip? I would like to build a triple monitor setup, starting with one monitor initially and then adding 2 more when budget allows.

1. What is your budget? €400

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Office, World of warcraft occasionally

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, yes would like option to use triple monitor setup

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Would consider it

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Next two weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Based in north, comfortable building it myself

Thanks boys/girls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Not really sure it is worth it. I mean to get the most of that chip you would probably need a fairly decent motherboard and RAM. Now if you could get both of those for under a €100 (less if possible), then it might be worth it as you could use the rest of the components in subsequent builds. I had a quick look around some of the usual websites and I can't see any good 775 motherboards on them so you may be better off at looking at second hand websites.

If you are looking for a motherboard, you should aim to get an x48, a p45, an x38 or a p35, in that order and in decreasing price as well. But if you do decide to go ahead post here and people should be able to give you some advice.

Overall though you could get a better PC for about €500 to €600. If you are able to spend €400 now, maybe you should just sell the QX9770 and put that towards your new build. A quick look at ebay.ie shows that 3 recently sold for between €230 and €300, so I would definately say you are much better off selling it for that and building a new proper PC for about €600 +.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

FYI: P35 chipset DOES NOT support a QX9700 (this is a 1600mhz fsb chip, the max fsb a P35 chipset motherboard will do is 1333Mhz....)

You need atleast a p38 or greater.

If you can pick up motherboard and ram cheaply 2nd hand, then go for it.

An overclocked QX9700 is still well capable for games especially if all you are playing is WOW.....

However as Farna_boy has advised: you might be better off selling the chip and buying fully new @ €600.

A QX9700 is a dead end part and you will get better performance out of Intels latest quads.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Had suspected it might be a bit out of date, but when i saw the prices they are still commanding i didnt want to do anything rash. These things were over 1k when released :O

If i get 200ish for it that would be a great result, and build something more modern.

Thanks for the feedback guys, thats exactly the kind of answers i needed

Advertisement