Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo Unhappy at Real Madrid

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of nastiness that is shown towards one of the finest players ever to play the game. I dont think you would get it in any other sport.

As the great man once said "People hate me because I'm rich, handsome, a great player'"

You cant argue with any of those sentiments :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of nastiness that is shown towards one of the finest players ever to play the game. I dont think you would get it in any other sport.

As the great man once said "People hate me because I'm rich, handsome, a great player'"

There are plenty of rich,handsome and great footballers who are hated as much as ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I didn't notice anything particularly nasty on this thread. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

He's a spoilt brat who wants attention. Ronaldo would be unhappy in heaven. Even if Messi and the Spanish squad and all the other top players were kidnapped by aliens and ronaldo was unequivocally confirmed as the best player in the world, after the posturing, he'd trot out his well-rehearsed tortured star routine and pout about it, because it would get more attention. Real heroes don't do it for the kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Love this picture. Where's Wally?

scaled.php?server=715&filename=beztytuuprv.png&res=landing

Opr

• Advertisement

Cristiano Ronaldo is a super player however it goes without saying his ego is completely off the scale like most modern day footballers.

Unlike Messi and alot of other past and present legends like Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Best, Xavi, Iniesta, etc, i dont class Ronaldo as one of the true greats and that is just my honest opinion.

The concept of football being a team game seems to be lost on the lad. He is easy to hate with his behaviour, however, dont hate a mere cog in the football machine as the fact is that we all over indulge the machine both as football mad fans and as a society. From the media to the sky subscriptions to the overpriced match day experiences to forking out lumps of money on jerseys etc.

Footballers are 'godified' today and we're all a big part each and every one of their respective processes.

People need to wise up and see the game for what it really has become. A overhyped and overpaid circus. I still follow Arsenal as i have done since 1990 and its always nice to see them win still but i can honestly say be it through my own maturity as a person, obtained wisdom or both that my emotional investment in the fortunes of my favourite professional football club are 95% less then they used be.

Even up to my mid 20s i loved the game but then i went out in the big bad world and with each long transfer saga Arsenal were involved in i became a little bit more disillusioned with the way footballers and football operated. Here is was slaving away in a sh*te dead end job while Emmanuel Adebayor was getting his salary quadrupled to a measly £150k a week (before leaving next season to join City) and the penny finally dropped what i had been supporting all along. When Robin Van Persie left to join United this year i didnt even blink an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

was that picture opr put up not taken after Ronaldo had chased around a load of Barca players in a piggy in the middle type situation? It's silly to use that as a stick to beat him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Liam O wrote: »
    was that picture opr put up not taken after Ronaldo had chased around a load of Barca players in a piggy in the middle type situation? It's silly to use that as a stick to beat him with.
    When people have an agenda, they use what they can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Graham hunter was saying on off the ball that he's pissed off with the club for not lobbying FIFA harder on his behalf for the the ballon d'or

Pretty pathetic if true, however I've no idea if FIFA usually get lobbied by clubs for this sort of thing, so perhaps it could be the norm

As for people disliking ronaldo, obviously there's the usual club based rivalry tainting views, but a major part of it is how he comes across in public. Statements like 'I did not celebrate because I am sad' simply sound pathetic when spoken by a grown man. If he had have said he didn't celebrate because he was pissed off, or similar then fine, but this 'because I am said' business really does make him seem like a ten yr old girl

Imagine the reaction of someone in your workplace or social circle came out with that sort I thing. They'd be laughed out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Graham hunter was saying on off the ball that he's pissed off with the club for not lobbying FIFA harder on his behalf for the the ballon d'or

Pretty pathetic if true, however I've no idea if FIFA usually get lobbied by clubs for this sort of thing, so perhaps it could be the norm

As for people disliking ronaldo, obviously there's the usual club based rivalry tainting views, but a major part of it is how he comes across in public. Statements like 'I did not celebrate because I am sad' simply sound pathetic when spoken by a grown man. If he had have said he didn't celebrate because he was pissed off, or similar then fine, but this 'because I am said' business really does make him seem like a ten yr old girl

Imagine the reaction of someone in your workplace or social circle came out with that sort I thing. They'd be laughed out the door

Allegedly the spanish word for sad isnt as "sad" sounding in spanish if you get me. The translation comes across a bit worse/childish than the words spoken(not his actions tho)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

LiamoSail wrote: »

I wouldnt believe anything Graham Hunter says. He is the biggest Barcelona fanboy in the media. He will stir whatever **** he can find to try and benefit his beloved Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wouldnt believe anything Graham Hunter says. He is the biggest Barcelona fanboy in the media. He will stir whatever **** he can find to try and benefit his beloved Barcelona.

Hunter was actually on his side by the sounds of him the other night. Certainly sympathetic toward him anyway

cristiano-ronaldo-haircut-in-2011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

To be fair, Ronaldo's workrate has improved a lot over the past few seasons with Real.

I remember in his (I think) last season for United they were 1 goal up in a game going into injury time, and Ronaldo took a bit of a knock. Just walked off the pitch before the match was over. I couldn't believe a professional footballer would just leave the playing field like that when the win was very much in the balance. I don't think he would do something similar nowadays; as an example he worked very hard in the supercopa against Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cristiano Ronaldo is a super player however it goes without saying his ego is completely off the scale like most modern day footballers.

Unlike Messi and alot of other past and present legends like Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Best, Xavi, Iniesta, etc, i dont class Ronaldo as one of the true greats and that is just my honest opinion.

The concept of football being a team game seems to be lost on the lad. He is easy to hate with his behaviour, however, dont hate a mere cog in the football machine as the fact is that we all over indulge the machine both as football mad fans and as a society. From the media to the sky subscriptions to the overpriced match day experiences to forking out lumps of money on jerseys etc.

Footballers are 'godified' today and we're all a big part each and every one of their respective processes.

People need to wise up and see the game for what it really has become. A overhyped and overpaid circus. I still follow Arsenal as i have done since 1990 and its always nice to see them win still but i can honestly say be it through my own maturity as a person, obtained wisdom or both that my emotional investment in the fortunes of my favourite professional football club are 95% less then they used be.

Even up to my mid 20s i loved the game but then i went out in the big bad world and with each long transfer saga Arsenal were involved in i became a little bit more disillusioned with the way footballers and football operated. Here is was slaving away in a sh*te dead end job while Emmanuel Adebayor was getting his salary quadrupled to a measly £150k a week (before leaving next season to join City) and the penny finally dropped what i had been supporting all along. When Robin Van Persie left to join United this year i didnt even blink an eye.

The rest of your case is goo but the part in bold is just silly.

I'm far from his biggest fan, I'd pick Messi everyday of the week but the guy is one of the greatest footballers of all time, he really has it all and he is an unbelievable athlete to boot.

Wether people like him or not, you cant really doubt how good he is IMO.

Advertisement