Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browning BL22 lever action problem.

Options
  • 02-09-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I was out today with my Browning Lever action .22 rifle. Was firing at targets then it stopped firing.
    The firing pin isn't striking the shell. Cant see if the pin is moving as the slider closes and blocks my view as you put the lever up.

Has anyone ever had this problem with a lever action? if so how did you sort it. Help appreciated! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Have you tried stripping the bolt? Could have broken the firing pin spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Blay wrote: »
    Have you tried stripping the bolt? Could have broken the firing pin spring.

Honestly I don't have a bulls notion how I'd start stripping this gun as I'd be worried springs and all will start dancing around the table when I go at it and I would never know where they came from or are meant to be.

Have you taken the bolt out of a lever action before?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't have a bulls notion how I'd start stripping this gun as I'd be worried springs and all will start dancing around the table when I go at it and I would never know where they came from or are meant to be.

Have you taken the bolt out of a lever action before?

Have seen a bunch of engineering students dismantle a BL22. One of life's great comedies! :D Personally, anything fiddlier than a bolt action I'd take to a gunsmith, but I'd be totally paranoid unless I had a really good schematic and a good afternoon to play with. In that case, I'd probably at least have a go. Worst comes to worst, you have a bag of bits to bring to your gunsmith in the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

here you go forth post down.
    once you do it once it'll be easy, but give yourself a while to put it back together it took me 5 mins to take my winchester apart and about two hours to put it back together as one of the springs went flying and took me ages to get it back on right. if you want to be safe get a large see trough plastic bag and take it apart in it that way the springs won't go flying across the room.:)
    http://www.msgunowners.com/t27755-browning-bl-22-disassembly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

juice1304 wrote: »
    if you want to be safe get a large see trough plastic bag and take it apart in it that way the springs won't go flying across the room.:)

....and that's the BEST tip you'll read today.

tac

• Advertisement

Taken apart this evening, firing pin is broken.

Head is going to be fried trying to find a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Taken apart this evening, firing pin is broken.

Head is going to be fried trying to find a new one

If you find one, want to send me a PM? I'd love to repair a BL22 I know of with a broken firing pin and would buy an extra one for it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

midway usa would have them, if they will post you one is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Here you go, Brownells ship here i ordered some parts a couple of weeks ago and was very happy.:)
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4098/avs|Make~~Model_1=Browning__BL%2022/Product/FIRING-PIN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

They're still a current rifle, get in touch with a local Browning dealer or the distributor and you shouldn't encounter too many problems gettting a firing pin.

• Advertisement

Got two firing pins for this gun in from the USA so all is good again.

Advertisement