Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan ford

Options
  • 03-09-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭

I was down at the Art Centre this afternoon for the first time in a year or two and noticed the new flood defences. They (Council, or whoever) have done a bang-up job of it and I see the field the old church is on is still part of a flood plain, which is good, in my view.
    Only thing is, the ford is now totally blanked off by the seemingly permanent installation of flood boards.
    I think I preferred it the way it used to be - it had a bit of character and history and it evoked some feelings of what it really used to be like way back when. You could see the old thoroughfare in its entirety as it was before the bridge was built and that was the only way of crossing the river.
    On the opposite bank there's another flood wall and boarded gate at the bottom of the lane. I must go for a closer look at that next time I'm in, to see what, if any, access there is to the river from the lane end.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's no access from either side from what I've seen and I know a number of local people have raised the issue with the council in relation to the blocking of a right of way that has existed for hundreds of years.

However the council appear to care very little about this and have kept the flood gates locked.....even when there's no flooding!

imho, the council haven't solved anything, anyone who's lived in the town knows that before the carpark when the area was a marsh it used to flood and so used the grounds of the abbey, just because the Bacon Factory built on the land and then a carpark was build doesn't mean it suddenly won't flood.

Even with the floodgates during recent flooding the fire brigade spent two days pumping water out because water came up through the drains, water after all will always find its level.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Cabaal wrote: »

Even with the floodgates during recent flooding the fire brigade spent two days pumping water out because water came up through the drains, water after all will always find its level.
    So it ended up being totally useless!
    Brilliant bit of engineering, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Was I the only one who was expecting this thread to be about Barry Pender setting up in Callan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    Was I the only one who was expecting this thread to be about Barry Pender setting up in Callan?

Nope.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I did think it was about car dealerships before I clicked on it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

LOL!
    The prospect boggles, somewhat.

Advertisement